Dog problems

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
ishman

Dog problems

Postby ishman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:43 pm

I have been getting a quite a few pictures of the neighboring landowners dogs on my lease. I know the other landowner and have talked to him about the dogs running all over but he refuses to do anything about it. Im worried that these dogs are going to keep the deer run off my land and on to someone elses. I thought talking to him would help solve the problem but it didnt. Any suggestions on how i could better handle?
Eric

kellory

Re: Dog problems

Postby kellory » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:48 pm

In my neck of the woods (Ohio) dogs are not allowed to run free. Call a sheriff and have him talk with the dog owner. Otherwise, you might mistake one of the dogs for a deer, and that would be tragic. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:10 am

You are in a bind. You really cannot do anything without the cooperation of the landowner. The dogs are going to keep coming.

I'm a landowner. When the dogs got to be a problem, I called the dog control officer. I gave him free reign on the place. He started coming out and setting up on my front porch, which has a commanding view for miles around, and went to work with his 308 and 338 Lapua. He had a good time and everything was taken care of in short time.

In KY, dogs off the chain and roaming are fair game. However, I would not take a shot at one without discussing it first with the landowner.

You best bet may be to look for a new lease.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

xmatax

Postby xmatax » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:25 am

Not that I've done it before (tempted to), but I've always heard dogs chasing game in the woods without a leash, etc can be shot in PA.

I had a similar problem where the land I hunt backs up to another property. During rut I actually saw the dog chasing a couple of deer. Rather than shoot it we talked to the owner of the property and found out the dog had been loose and they would keep a better eye on him. Needless to say, they then were "walking the dog" through the woods during my week off in November almost every night no less than about 40 - 50 yards from where I set up a stand. It's a really tough dilema because you could shoot the dog legally if it's chasing game, but at the same time having a heart and knowing it's someone's pet and as a pet owner myself it's extremely hard.

oletimer

Postby oletimer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:47 am

Here in Va. or at least the county I am in the dog wardens have traps. They will set them up on your land if there is a problem. Not to say the dog owner will just pay the fine and let them loose again.
Years ago our german shephards were being accused of killing sheep on a nearby farm. They told us that they were going to set traps for the dogs and they would be put down if caught. Of course that was after they tried to take them and I asked the farmer to ID them. The dogs were in the house since I had been given a heads up. One was a silver shephard and the other a black and brown. All he could say was a shephard was a shepard. I brought them out and the dog warden agreed they were identifiable. Also told them if it was my dogs that was OK since I had worked on farms before and knew his side. I was sure it was not ours so was not worried. Turned out the to be the farmers daughters dogs who also lived on the farm. Of course he never appologized. :roll:
You could also set our large have-a heart traps yourself.
Good luck.
lead follow or get out of the way

mule

Postby mule » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:00 am

Here in Missouri, shooting dogs is a big no-no unless they're destroying property (livestock) or threatening a human. I know this because my father bought me a coonhound for a graduation gift from boot camp; while hunting the dog one night, a guy went outside and shot the dog (on ground he didn't even own -- not that it would have made a difference.) After the sheriff showed up the next day and found the dog, he appeared in court. He lost a lot. Money, time, labor (had to cut my Dad a cord of wood for the stoves.); not to mention (in coon-hunting country) he instantly became about as popular as a sock full of dead kittens. The Missouri deer hunting information booklet that comes out each year specifically warns against shooting dogs, collared or not, chasing deer or not. In your area, might be different. Out here, we like dogs; much more so than deer. As for the gentleman speaking of a dog-control officer shooting dogs and enjoying it -- wow. That would get him strung up around here -- unless of course they were chasing livestock.

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Man,,that is something about MO. I like dogs, have one,,but NO excuse for letting them just run. If it is a one time deal. Accidently got lose, that is one thing, but habitual,,aftet talking to owner,,that is another. I had the same problem.Here in Iowa. Neighbor could not say no to dumped off strays. Had 10 or 12. All would parade-past my stands or chase deer. Talking did little good. I called County Supervisor. He said that is why alot of people move to the sticks,,,so they can let their dogs run. I say, If people really cared about them, they would not let them run. My dog and I were attacked by a loose dog last year. Cost owner a 4,000$ bill! Idiot! I have no patience with these people. If they don't want to take care of them ,then don't have them. Simple as that. I talked to sheriff and DNR,,they said the three S's. Shoot-Shovel-Shutup! I didn't have to with the pack of dogs. Neighbors finally fenced them. Some states are strict,,good for them. MI, where I moved from is quite strict. All should be.

wilrose85

Postby wilrose85 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:00 am

Better open this to the people with authority. That will help you.

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:26 am

As stated,,Some states,,like mine. People in "Authority", could care less. Hope yours is different.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:07 pm

I would get one of those Have-A-Heart Live Traps and catch the Dogs and take them into the local Dog Pound.....as stated in some States its against the Law to shoot any Dogs unless they are in fact harming Your Livestock or Farm Animals or threatening You?When Your Neighbor has to pay to get his Dogs out he might think twice about letting them run loose...its not the Dogs fault but the Owner that needs to take better care of His Pets especially during Hunting Season.In a lot of places the Dogs would have disapeared.....at least Your trying to be sensible about it! :|

Next

Return to General Discussions