help

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
tgloden03

help

Postby tgloden03 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:34 pm

I have a monster 10 point on my trail camera on my private land. I have pictures of him at a few different locations on the farm mostly on trails to and from his bedding area with a few on some food plots late at night. All of the pictures so far are at night and from what I have gathered I believe he is bedding in a thick cut over on a neighboring farm and using my farm to feed. I have scouted and looked for places to hang stands on major trails that I have pictures of him using but these areas are to thick to hang stands on. We are just now getting into the pre rut here in Mississippi. Does anyone have any tips on how to hunt him with the rut fast approaching?

kellory

Re: help

Postby kellory » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:40 pm

See if you can get a satellite photo of the area, so we can see what you are working with. We will help if we can. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

tgloden03

Postby tgloden03 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:42 pm

https://www.google.com/mapmaker?ll=34.1 ... ton_normal

This is a link for map view of the property. There is a medium sized cut over in the center of our property and the cutover I believe the deer is bedding in is to the west of our property and the food plot I have pictures of the deer in is to the south of the cutover that is on our property. Im not sure if this will help but if it does any tips would be greatly aprreciated.

tgloden03

Postby tgloden03 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:01 pm

captain hook (2).JPG
captain hook (2).JPG (332.58 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
captain hook.JPG
captain hook.JPG (249.85 KiB) Viewed 1699 times

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Sorry, but I can't tell much from the photo. I can't tell what is your's, and what is your neighbor's. nor can I see your food plot or tell distances.
But without having any other info, Draw a line from the point where guntharp loop meets 25 to the center of your red A point. there is a clump of trees jutting out on the left of the inside corner. i like that clump for a point that would cover a large angle of that open area. (setting up just inside the tree line) It may turn out to be a deer staging area as well. My best suggestion though, is this. You know where you saw this deer. He was making tracks as the camera caught him. Go to that point, find his tracks, and follow them. see where he goes, watch for a good ambush point along his route, and check the direction of the wind, see if your scent would be wicked away from the deer, along that route, at that point or toward the deer. If you find a couple of good places, set your stands so you can hunt it from different directions in case the wind change. And watch for the does, because he will be. He will want to pass down wind of the does, so he can scent check them.
If you have does gathering, at the same points each day or evening, see if his trail passes down wind of them. If so, try to set up just down wind of him, and wait for him to drop in to check the ladies. If you have a doe decoy it couldn't hurt, and a touch of doe in rut .....might help seal the deal. Good luck.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Best Practices