What Caused Your Last Miss?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
kellory

Re: What Caused Your Last Miss?

Postby kellory » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:32 pm

:oops: I had my mossberg 500 zeroed last fall, when it was hard cased, but I forgot I ran out of sabot rounds, and switched to rifled slugs for the end of the hunt. I swapped out the barrel for the smoothbore field barrel,
This hunting trip I uncased my shotgun, checked the action, lubed it, and went hunting. I failed to SWAP THE BARRELS BACK! I just fired three sabot rounds through my smoothbore, (with choke tube) :oops: I don't see any damage, besides extra lead on the choke tube, but I think I now know why I missed! 3 times!

I have swapped the barrels, the scope remains (for now) and I will pick up some more sabots and see if that was the cause and or sight in the gun. :oops:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:34 pm

BUMMER!! Glad you got it figured out Kell!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

tgloden03

Postby tgloden03 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:21 pm

Had doe broadside at 30 yards but I wasn't far enough out of my platform to clear the safety rail on my climber. Bottom cam of my bow hit the rail on the release of my arrow. Missed low by 10 yards.

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Had a decent shooter buck 40 yrds away and I had a .270. Broadside. I had a huge grin. It'd be my first buck in over ten years (I quit hunting for a while). I pulled the trigger and he trots off a few yards and then starts to walk away. WALK. I had no other shot. I sat there dumbfounded for a 30 mins. Got down and went to look around. I centered a vine coming off a tree in front of him and it threw my shot God knows where. I definitely didn't hit him. I wanted to cry. I can say for sure he made it through the season. I'm already making plans for bow season.

HuntingFool94

Postby HuntingFool94 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:22 pm

This past November on the opening day of gun season I missed a 10 pt that would have gone 150 to 160 B&C - I was rushing to pack for the trip and could not find my normal Hornady loads - so I went to the local gun store and all they had was Federal sabots so I bought 2 boxes (never read the info on the box). Opening morning just past dawn and the buck is trailing a doe at about 130 yds, walking pace - I take sight at mid chest and fire - deer stops then starts walking again - I say a few choice words and pump in another shell and aim a bit higher and fire - deer decides to vamoose. I say several other choice words - then pick up the box and read it - drop is 6.5 inches at 120 yds. I go to where the deer was walking and nothing - no blood, hair etc. I check the entire path the deer used following his tracks, not a drop of blood for 100+ yds - more muttering to myself. I threw out the 2 boxes of ammo and bought some Winchester at 1850 FPS (all the local store where I hunt had) - no more drop and the next day took a small 6pt at 80 yds.
Always check the FPS on ammo (especially slug ammo) and the drop rate. If I had my normal Hornady loads that monster would have been in the back of my truck!
"don't stink, don't move, don't make noise"

Previous

Return to Best Practices