The Enemy Is Denial

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Ohio farms

Re: The Enemy Is Denial

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:40 pm

My son in laws best friend is a firefighter. Amazing guy.
Last edited by Ohio farms on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:25 pm

mnslayer wrote:JHP
I have been a structural firefighter in a metro suburbs for 20yrs the last 7 serving as Captain. I never intended to say it would be standard practice, but in a risk vs benefits if it stopped the slaughter of children I said I would be the first to VOLUNTEER. I would not order my men to take this action and circumstances would depict the actions required. you are right advancing a 2 1/2" -3" smooth bore (aka water cannon) would be difficult but not impossible.

It would be a stupid waste of resources and you would be failing your family, your community and your company to volunteer your life in this way. It is unprofessional bravado.

My company makes about 3,000 runs a year an inner-city neighborhood. When I came on the job in the early 90's we were experiencing a three way war between the Crips, Vice Lords and the B.G.D's. It was not uncommon to hear automatic weapons fire in the hood during the summers of '94-'96. I've been on my share of active shooter scenes. This is not an abstract idea. Urban firefighters have been dealing with gunfire since the early 1960's. Smart, tough, seasoned firefighters from some of the best companies in North America have universally endorsed a cautious, "let the cops clear the scene" approach for good reason.

I don't mean to be overly harsh here but I don't think firefighters should be playing this sort of thing up for a crowd that does not fully understand the implications. Unless firefighters with hard earned, real world experience stand up and call BS, then inexperienced young firefighters are at risk of being wasted in such silly nonsense!

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:28 pm

Deebz wrote:
kellory wrote:
Deebz wrote:I wish they would employ an "Air Marshal" game plan in schools... have weapons accessible only to certain individuals in the school at strategic locations in the building (fingerprint locks and such), and have those individuals trained in shooting and combat. That way we don't have to have a cop on site all the time and still have a true first line of defense in place.

I'd be the first to volunteer for this program for my school...

Deebz, That would put you in the line of fire. If this comes about, let us know. You will need a vest (not an orange one) and I will send a few bucks to help with the cost. :|

Good point... I hadn't thought about body armor, but it would be a pretty much necessary addition. I'm sure the school district would cover the cost of all necessary materials if this solution was used. What's sad is that I don't think we'd ever be able to settle on such an obvious, effective, and low cost solution...

You might even want to contact this guy, or something similar. This guy is a pro.http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2012/ ... n-control/
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:24 am

The day after the shooting in CT, Dr Ignatius Piazza made an offer to every school in this country.Dr Piazza runs a firearms training institute in Nevada. He is willing to give defensive firearm training... FOR FREE... to up to 3 people from every school that applies. There goes the liberal argument of "who pays for this?
http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sight. ... e-wake-up/

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:46 am

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/24/us/new-yo ... ?hpt=hp_t1

^ This is what happens when firefighters are placed in an active shooter situation. Sounds like this may have been an ambush but it speaks to the question of firefighters being used against gunmen.

Here is the audio: http://my.firefighternation.com/video/d ... hters-shot

Previous

Return to Off Topic