Coyotes hurting deer population

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
kellory

Re: Coyotes hurting deer population

Postby kellory » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:35 pm

Gatodoc, that trick is effective, but will get you arrested here. No poison bait! Folks, check with your local DNR before putting out bait, poisoned or not. Make sure of YOUR laws first. Then take 'em out by the dozens! I noticed a place like Tractor Supply Co. , called Rural King, had tender traps, big enough for large dogs! They had pics of Yotes on the wrapper.
As for how to tan the hides, as soon as I get the go ahead from the people who gave it to me, I will post it. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:33 am

Read in the paper this morning that a bitter tasting chemical is now being put in most antifreeze to prevent animals and children from drinking the sweet tasting type.
We had a handful of patients on our kidney transplant waiting list due to the ingestion of antifreeze. Bad stuff
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:18 am

Anti-Freeze is bad stuff, and poisoning is illegal.

Not too long ago, somewhere in KY, a guy got nailed for that trick. He had put out poison bait for the yotes and feral dogs and managed to poison a large flock of turkeys instead. The penalty was harsh, but not harsh enough.

Do not use anti-freeze.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:23 am

As mentioned...Poisoning an Animal is not the route to take,sad part is Your going to kill other innocent Animals in the process down the Food Chain,Fair Chase goes for other Animals besides Deer!With more Hunting Shows into the Sport of Predator Hunting and other Hunters taking up the Sport it will make an impact on less Coyotes killing off newborn Fawns!

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:46 am

Sierra wrote:Coyote hunting is my next venture. They are overrunning the property where I hunt. I even had one run up on me. I would be interested to see a way to get them by trapping, but for now we've bought a rabbit call and we have the AR and the .270. Trouble is, they are reproducing unchecked. We need to get out there and really put a dent in their population. Also, using the rabbit call is difficult. I need to practice up. Are there any other hunting methods for them aside from calling?

Kellory, could you share your tanning process? Should I get one of these things, my 11 year old son has insisted upon having the pelt.

Here you go Sierra, these guys said it much better than I could. This method should work for most any hide (deer, rabbit, yotes, ) And I'm thinking the bottom half of a PVC drum would work best for soaking. If I had room, I would create a cradle and slice it sideways, for a larger tub. PVC is safe to use, metal is not. I have cleared it with them, so spread this far and wide if you wish. That was their intention. http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a- ... m-scratch/ :mrgreen:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to General Discussions