What is it that you HAVE to do?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Sierra

What is it that you HAVE to do?

Postby Sierra » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Alright, I guess this could fall into the bucket list category, but I am specifically looking for things that are supreme challenges that we feel we absolutely must do in order to feel complete as human beings. Some people want to run a marathon. Some people want to climb Everest. Some people want to set foot on every continent. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dreaming backed with a little determination.

It's under debate if Goethe spoke these words, however they work:

“Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.”

I'll go ahead and put out my crazy plan. I intend to hike the entire length of the Appalachian Trail before I die. (And do it in time for deer season that year, thankyouverymuch)

What do you feel you need to do?
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Woods Walker

Re: What is it that you HAVE to do?

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:31 pm

I used to have "dream goals" too. But in the last 4 years my life has changed SO much that my "lifetime" goals have been changed to more basic things....like being able to stay in my home. After that then MAYBE I can maybe consider retirement again, although at this stage that's about as far away for me as a trip to the moon. I'm self employed and in what was at one time the construction industry.

Sometimes things you take for granted in life become a rapidly vanishing dream. :cry:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:43 pm

Father and raise at least one child as well as my parents raised me and my 3 brothers....

of secondary importance: an African safari, and a trip to Australia's Great Barrier Reef
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 pm

Aw, Woods, don't stop thinking it can happen. I can see you're working your butt off, and things are seriously hard, but keep dreaming.

Could I take some months off and hike the trail now? Hell no! I have two kids, and believe me, our share of struggles I don't even want to go in to. But when I put in my hours and my day, here and there when I lay down to go to sleep, I imagine 4-5 months on my own, and on my own two feet, literally. For all the discomfort and trial and hell it would be, I just have to do it someday. Looks to be I will be sharing the trail with new college grads and retirees. I'll be (hopefully) one of the retirees.

Woods, you didn't answer. Hard times is the best reason to dream. What is it you would do?
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:37 pm

Boy! I would like to hike the Appalachian trail also, or make a deer hunting trip up north by yal, or a fly fishing trip! BUT! I'm self employed also. It's been tough! the past few years! And I have kids in college and high school. And retirement, that's not in my vocabulary.

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Sierra wrote:Alright, I guess this could fall into the bucket list category, but I am specifically looking for things that are supreme challenges that we feel we absolutely must do in order to feel complete as human beings. Some people want to run a marathon. Some people want to climb Everest. Some people want to set foot on every continent. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dreaming backed with a little determination.

“Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.”

I'll go ahead and put out my crazy plan. I intend to hike the entire length of the Appalachian Trail before I die. (And do it in time for deer season that year, thankyouverymuch)

Hiking the Appalachian Trail would be cool. Takes about 6-7 months and for people who have attempted there is only about a 20% success rate. Dont let that stop you though.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:13 pm

I would like to be able to try my hand at every type of hunting, that interests me, anywhere, any legal weapon. I want to do them all before I die.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:26 pm

Sierra: I had to think long and hard about it and I came up with only one real answer and a couple of realizations.

Years ago I'd of had whole list of things from African hunts to Alaska, and then fishing all over the world. But I'm 60 years old now, my daughter is raised and on her own, a good portion of the people that I wanted to do my dream things with are either dead or to the point where they couldn't do it even if the chance did come. I guess what I realized is that those things I wanted to do were only desireable if I had those people to share it with.

That said, here's my answer. My dream now would be to be able to go to the place we hunt in west central Illinois in the Illinois River bluff country and to be able to spend a full month there. I wouldn't even have to hunt everyday either. Just BE there. We have an old farm house that we stay in there that's a 1/2 mile off the county road and located in the middle of the 240 acres. So if I chose to I wouldn't even have to drive anywhere if I didn't want or need to. If I want to hunt, I just pick up my gun or bow and walk out the door. If the last days I spend on earth are there then I'd say I came out ahead of the game!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:48 pm

unclebuck wrote:
Sierra wrote:Alright, I guess this could fall into the bucket list category, but I am specifically looking for things that are supreme challenges that we feel we absolutely must do in order to feel complete as human beings. Some people want to run a marathon. Some people want to climb Everest. Some people want to set foot on every continent. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dreaming backed with a little determination.

Hiking the Appalachian Trail would be cool. Takes about 6-7 months and for people who have attempted there is only about a 20% success rate. Dont let that stop you though.

Well, I guess I'm going to have to bring an extra pair of socks!

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:24 am

The idea of a "bucket list" does not square with my philosophy. In fact, I find it kind of fatalistic. I would prefer to draw as much life out of every day and seize opportunities for adventure, challenge, enlightenment, and love as they come. A list seems too confining because I don't want to ever see my life as incomplete, nor do I want to pass on an opportunity because it's not on the list.

Sure there are things that appeal to me. There are several pilgrimages that I feel called to. I'd love to in various parts of America. I'd like to square off in the Takanakuy fighting festival of Peru. And yeah, the AT would be cool. But every day is an adventure and a gift,

Next

Return to Off Topic