What is it that you HAVE to do?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Sierra

Re: What is it that you HAVE to do?

Postby Sierra » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:34 am

Deebz wrote:Father and raise at least one child as well as my parents raised me and my 3 brothers....

of secondary importance: an African safari, and a trip to Australia's Great Barrier Reef

Sounds like good stuff. And raising a child is certainly an undertaking! I think you will do great. Then, take the kids on safari.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 am

unclebuck wrote:
Sierra wrote:Alright, I guess this could fall into the bucket list category, but I am specifically looking for things that are supreme challenges that we feel we absolutely must do in order to feel complete as human beings. Some people want to run a marathon. Some people want to climb Everest. Some people want to set foot on every continent. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dreaming backed with a little determination.

It's under debate if Goethe spoke these words, however they work:

“Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.”

I'll go ahead and put out my crazy plan. I intend to hike the entire length of the Appalachian Trail before I die. (And do it in time for deer season that year, thankyouverymuch)

What do you feel you need to do?

Hiking the Appalachian Trail would be cool. Takes about 6-7 months and for people who have attempted there is only about a 20% success rate. Dont let that stop you though.

Yeah, it's about one in four make it that even attempt it. I have a read a few books on it, a good one is Becoming Odyssa. I try to be optimistic. Should my life turn out to where I can actually take six months to undertake such a thing, then I am not quitting to come back to the chaos that life typically is. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to find out if I make it. Someday. :-)

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:32 am

Neat thread.

What's great about a bucket list is you can add to it, modify it, change, remove etc, its not finite. Not the end of the world if you do or don't accomplish everything. Unless your Morgan Freeman or Jack Nicholson of course :D

My list in no particular order:

Actually catch/land one of these Image and not just hook the darn thing.

Spend a summer with my kids on the lake in MI I spent my summers as a kid.
Snowmobile with the kids
Be interviewed for something that i'm actually an expert on
Become an expert on something
Physically build a house for someone (or at least help them)
Actually see Egypt and not fear for my life
Hike/visit at least the base of the tallest mountain in each country that has the Alps (IE Switzerland, Austria etc) with the kids
Create/make the "art" ideas in my head and show them
Do all the "must see" USA touristy/historical type things: IE See Rock City, Billy's Swamp Safari, Opryland, Washington, Civil war battlefields.......u get the idea.
Just off the top of my head, I don't have this all wrtten down anywhere
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Jon H. wrote:
unclebuck wrote:
Sierra wrote:Alright, I guess this could fall into the bucket list category, but I am specifically looking for things that are supreme challenges that we feel we absolutely must do in order to feel complete as human beings. Some people want to run a marathon. Some people want to climb Everest. Some people want to set foot on every continent. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dreaming backed with a little determination.

It's under debate if Goethe spoke these words, however they work:

“Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.”

I'll go ahead and put out my crazy plan. I intend to hike the entire length of the Appalachian Trail before I die. (And do it in time for deer season that year, thankyouverymuch)

What do you feel you need to do?

Hiking the Appalachian Trail would be cool. Takes about 6-7 months and for people who have attempted there is only about a 20% success rate. Dont let that stop you though.

Well, I guess I'm going to have to bring an extra pair of socks!

And maybe underwear?

oletimer

Postby oletimer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm living my bucket list. Retired 5 years ago and bought a 5th wheel camper. We spend the summers in Colorado hiking , fishing and playing with the grandkids there. Do a little traveling in Sept. then come home for a two week fishing trip Hatteras,NC. Or longer if I feel like it and the fishing is good. Then deer season is in for the next several month. While home I get to play with the grandkids here too but they are quickly getting older and soon to be teens., Go back to Co. in mid winter to ski and play with the grandkids. Spend some time hiking around here all winter. Go to Jacksonville,Fl for some kayak fishing in early spring. Another trip to Hatteras before Co.
I wake up every morning and pinch myself. Life sure is good. The one thing I do need to do is get up to Alaska. Never been there. My wife is an outdoorsperson but not a fisher or hunter. So will most likely not get to fish or hunt while there but that's OK.
Woods ... life is not over at 60 it is just beginning !!! 60's in the rearview mirror.
lead follow or get out of the way

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:14 pm

oletimer wrote:I'm living my bucket list. Retired 5 years ago and bought a 5th wheel camper. We spend the summers in Colorado hiking , fishing and playing with the grandkids there. Do a little traveling in Sept. then come home for a two week fishing trip Hatteras,NC. Or longer if I feel like it and the fishing is good. Then deer season is in for the next several month. While home I get to play with the grandkids here too but they are quickly getting older and soon to be teens., Go back to Co. in mid winter to ski and play with the grandkids. Spend some time hiking around here all winter. Go to Jacksonville,Fl for some kayak fishing in early spring. Another trip to Hatteras before Co.
I wake up every morning and pinch myself. Life sure is good. The one thing I do need to do is get up to Alaska. Never been there. My wife is an outdoorsperson but not a fisher or hunter. So will most likely not get to fish or hunt while there but that's OK.
Woods ... life is not over at 60 it is just beginning !!! 60's in the rearview mirror.

You are awesome. And Alaska is a must-visit for me as well, but I don't care if my fiance doesn't fish, he can watch me fish. :-) I am 38, and my daughter is turning 18 in a few days. She'll live with me until she finishes her associates, so I have two more years. My son I share an equal custody with my ex-husband, so I will have spells with no kids. And at only 40 years old. You make me really want a camper. And a motorcycle. And more fishing poles, because Chris says I have too many but that's just silly. I only have 8 of them. Not into the idea of skiing, but hiking in Colorado sounds excellent. I also spend a good amount of time near Jacksonville, in St. Augustine beach, on the ocean. Chris had never seen the dolphins playing, something I took for granted growing up.

Lastly, I will add one thing. I can't hike the trail until such a terrible time as my dog passes. I am not leaving him, and I can't take him. Couldn't carry the food, he's huge. But I do love taking him other places! He'd love a camper. I think your life sounds terrific! :-)

spencer

Postby spencer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:44 pm

Good for you oletimer and making the most of your retirement! Hunting, kayaking, fishing--you are seeing more of the outdoors and doing physical activity than I did during most of my teen years. You rock, I hope I can make the most of life when I am older like you!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:06 pm

I guess I missed this topic the first time around...glad it was resurrected.
My only grandson is 4 and I'm pushing 67. My quality of life has vastly improved since I retired in 07 and my brother and I inherited the farm that we had hunted on for the past 25 years. My greatest wish is that I would live long enough so that my grandson will have memories of me. We have a great relationship as my wife and I have "babysat" him a couple days a week since he was 3 weeks old with lots of sleepovers.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Well, I'm 60 and widowed, but Travis my step grandson whom I've raised since he was 3 months old, will be 17 in January and has only one more year of high school. He plans to make the military his career, so I'm just hoping to see him finish school and get started in whichever branch of the service he ends up in. Since I'm disabled and just trying to make ends meet with my disability income from Soc. Sec., I keep entering every hunting contest I can in hopes of eventually winning a hunt for Elk or really big whitetail deer somewhere that's different from what I'm used to in the swamps down here.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:21 am

Ohio...that is a great thing to have in your life, and for your grandson to have in his. I never really got to know my Dad's dad. He died of cancer when I was a toddler. From what I understand he was a hell of a guy. I've actually talked with older guys at the local bar who regaled me with stories when they found out my last name. I thank God that my Dad is around to be a part of my daughter's life. On a sad note, we lost my Grandmother yesterday. I do have TONS of amazing memories of hanging out with her down at her camper by the river...catching fish and frogs, cooking burgers and pork chops over an open fire, 4th of July fireworks, family get togethers...the list goes on. She was 93 years old and the matriarch of a GIANT family... She mothered 9 children, and her grandchildren (including greats and great-greats) number in the 100's... To say the least, this was a woman I respected and adored. I like to think I had a special place in her heart being that I was born on her birthday and I was the first of her intital grandchildren to inherit her red hair and blue eyes. Now that memories are all I have of her, I am so thankful for the times we were together.

I was also glad to see this thread ressurected, words cannot describe what this little girl has done to me...
Attachments
Josh&Oaklyn.jpg
Josh&Oaklyn.jpg (37.17 KiB) Viewed 645 times
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic