Hawkeye State Deer Hunters!

JPH

Re: Hawkeye State Deer Hunters!

Postby JPH » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:45 am

Powell1120 wrote:Been kind of dead on the Iowa page for a while now...

I'll say! I looked at my initial post and it says I'm 36. Well, I turned 40 this fall! Haha!

Other than that, not much has changed for me. My wife still tolerates me and the kids, while more grown up, still claim me. My 2011 Iowa hunting has been pretty good. I opted for the early ML season and missed two nice bucks...I don't want to talk about it. But my first bow hunt in late October yielded a nice buck and I was able to follow up with a big doe by archery as well. I'm wrapping things up with the Thanksgiving antlerless season this weekend. I took does Friday morning and Saturday night. I may try to skim one more doe from the herd tonight and then it's time to pack away my gear until next fall.

IKILLTASTYANIMALS

Postby IKILLTASTYANIMALS » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:26 pm

I posted this in the main Iowa forum but figured I'd drop it off in here as well.

I'm Andy. I'm 28 years old and have been an passionate outdoorsman since I can remember. I grew up in Wa. state I've lived in Muscatine Iowa for 2 years now. I coach college baseball and give private instruction to baseball players (of all ages 13 and up) who strive to better their game. I played 7 years of professional baseball before injuries took me out of the game. Since retirement, I have become extremely active in hunting and fishing here in Iowa. During the season, it is a rarity for me to take a day off from at least one of the following- bowhunting deer, bowhunting turkey, pheasant hunting with my pup, waterfowling, fly fishing, bass fishing, and everything inbetween. My favorite game has got to be ducks and geese (I'm very addicted!). I go on a trip to the Big Horns Wyo. every year for either a bull elk hunt or monster Mulies. I usually hunt alone locally (which can be a pain in the butt sometimes) and wouldn't mind finding someone who shares the same extreme passion as me to help increase the odds of success on my hunts. It would also be nice to broaden my range and add some quality contacts. I consider myself well taught when it comes to hunting but I never stop learning and always seek new knowledge. I'm happy to be a new addition to the forum!

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:57 pm

Welcome to the forum. If you were closer to Ohio, I might go waterfowling with you. I want to learn how, and I have the duck decoys, and field shells for geese. I'm working (slowly) on the boat blind cover now. As for deer hunting, this is the place to be, so pull up a stump by the fire, the coffee's hot, Help yourself. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

IKILLTASTYANIMALS

Postby IKILLTASTYANIMALS » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Thanks! Glad to be here. Are there over the counter, out of state tags sold in Ohio? I am definitely not restricted to Iowa. I want to do some driving and see some new places/animals. Ohio would be on my list. You archery hunt? I'd be glad to show you the ropes out waterfowling. I have enough gear to outfit a football team! And more deeks than I can carry or roll all at once. Well invested in my passion (you might say lol).

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:22 pm

IKILLTASTYANIMALS wrote:Thanks! Glad to be here. Are there over the counter, out of state tags sold in Ohio? I am definitely not restricted to Iowa. I want to do some driving and see some new places/animals. Ohio would be on my list. You archery hunt? I'd be glad to show you the ropes out waterfowling. I have enough gear to outfit a football team! And more deeks than I can carry or roll all at once. Well invested in my passion (you might say lol).

There are certainly hunting tags available over the counter, and on line. If you are serious, there are a few others interested too. You have met one already (sierra). i have forty weighted duck decoys, and forty goose shells in two sizes. And yes I hunt gun, crossbow, compound, and slingshot (I just gave my recurve to Sierra's daughter.) ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

IKILLTASTYANIMALS

Postby IKILLTASTYANIMALS » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Definitely interested. I have a wall tent with all the fixin's, if that would help also. I'm not sure what time periods I will be available at the moment. Kind of depends on which tags I get drawn for and where... Are we talking about an early season archery hunt or a late season archery/waterfowl hunt or what? I'm a big fan of deer hunting in the morning then having lunch and heading out to the local "honey hole" to whack some birds. I also hunt with my rifle but haven't in the midwest. Just curious so I can start weighing my options and make my decisions on where I'm going to make it next season.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:01 pm

IKILLTASTYANIMALS wrote:Definitely interested. I have a wall tent with all the fixin's, if that would help also. I'm not sure what time periods I will be available at the moment. Kind of depends on which tags I get drawn for and where... Are we talking about an early season archery hunt or a late season archery/waterfowl hunt or what? I'm a big fan of deer hunting in the morning then having lunch and heading out to the local "honey hole" to whack some birds. I also hunt with my rifle but haven't in the midwest. Just curious so I can start weighing my options and make my decisions on where I'm going to make it next season.

You can check the dates on line, or I will check with ODNR for the requirements. :)

Previous

Return to Iowa