DNR Agenda 2013 - Dr Czar

bullwinkle

DNR Agenda 2013 - Dr Czar

Postby bullwinkle » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:30 pm

Any one have any idea if the Govenor is going to do anything with the expensive tax payer Dr Czar report in 2013?

I am shocked how queit it has been after all the fanfare.

We have had enough CWD expansion where eliminating baiting state wide makes sense to me. I have not heard a word about DMAP. Public land doe tags and making it illegal to drive public land are ideas I like as well as geting rid of registering deer.

More control in regard to predators and deer by private land owners is in the right direction.

Bigfoot

Re: DNR Agenda 2013 - Dr Czar

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:38 pm

yep and the rate of infection in the cwd zone continues to go up so what do we do their since oh baiting has been banned their for 10 years now

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:03 pm

I have some friends in the CWD zone. They said as long as you get along with your neighbors and they don't tell on you there is a lot of baiting still going on - just like Retch. I am sure this wasn't the first time for him - his warm personality caught up with him and someone turned him in

My two cents - the DNR needs to make the fine $2000 and loss of hunting privledges for 3 years. This would make guys like Retch think twice about it.

Over the long haul land improvments and food plots I feel are more effective.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:18 pm

Banning driving on state land isn't the answer in my opinion, it's a perfectly legal and ethical method of hunting and we shouldn't be restricting hunting methods unless they are proven to be destructive to the resource.

Why not reign in the length of the bow season. Everyone believes that there's too much pressure on the deer now, how does allowing hunters in the woods everyday from the middle of September through the first week of January help that? My thoughts are that if it truly is "for the challenge" as most bow hunters claim, then why do you need so many days? If the challenge of using inferior, compared to the modern rifle, weapons is what really is driving it, then the number of days available to hunt shouldn't matter, right? It's the process, not the outcome that is important, right?

If that's not the case, then why is it okay to limit the number of days available to black powder hunt? It was a primitive weapon, that's another argument too (I would make the muzzle loader season traditional only, no break open or inline actions and/or 209 primer ignition. Break open, inline actions and 209 primers can be used in the regular gun season only), up until 20 years ago there was quite a challenge involved, but the amount of time allotted to black powder hunters is limited because it's a gun and too easy to use?

Making private/public specific tags is a better idea for limiting over pressure on public lands. Each person has to choose whether they will buy a public land or private land tag and that's where they are allowed to hunt or you allow people to buy multiple tags, but the price of the 2nd tag with a different designation than the first costs 1.5x more. The additional tag fee being set aside for deer research in the future.

I also think they should raise the cost of state park stickers by $5 each and set that amount aside to pay for wolf depredation and crop damage. They all want to keep the animals safe so they can watch and feed them, they should have to help pay for the destruction that they produce too, not just hunters through their tag fees.

X Factor

Postby X Factor » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:40 pm

So many of the weiner whiners don't believe the DNR's deer kill numbers as it is. I'm sure they'll really believe them if registration is up to the hunter. Not! I don't know if a ban on drives on state land is a good idea or not but not sure how it would be enforced as a couple in a group could sit on one end and two others go still hunting. Same difference. Or are you talking big groups? Rather I think there should be a limit on public tags given out, maybe a lottery or something.

I'm with Salmon on shortening the bow hunt. Yeah I love it but to be honest outside of opening day don't go much the next four weeks yet I know guys who go all the time. I'd have no problem giving the crossbow guys a week in early October (same week as youth gun hunt) for example. Just don't take away Oct. 20-mid-November and late season, love those times!

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:39 pm

I don't hunt public land much but I see a lot of abuse. Guys who trophy manage their personal lands and drive all the public with a brown is down mid week during gun season. I feel for those who only hunt public land. This practice is just wrong

It could be easily stopped. Yes it will not be clean if you had a small group and took stands inside woods and still hunted but large groups that show up mid day would be obvious and should be something that can be stopped our curtailed. Doe tags specifically for public land would surely help

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:32 pm

I don't think a lottery or limited number of public tags should be the way to go either. By doing that, we are just helping the anti's to stop hunting altogether. If you want to trophy hunt and demand that you have the space and non interruptions, then you need to find a way to finance trips, purchase your own land or become a better hunter on the public lands that you hunt.

Americans have never gotten better at something because the government has stepped in and limited what or how people can figure out to do things in any endeavor, why would it make hunting better? I say it wouldn't, it just makes it easier for the person that doesn't want to work as hard to become successful.

I don't want to sound like I'm picking on the bow hunters or the muzzleloader hunters either. I just ask a simple question about what the true intentions of each of the special seasons are.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:30 am

Maybe there is a middle ground depending on the county or size of DNR land. Around me there are a lot of small pieces - 20-160 acres. These can be ruined quickly with a few deer drives. In some way it helps me because the deer pour off these properties. In another way I hate how these guys shoot everything that move. Very selfish and rude. I get hurt a little by small buck being taken but those poor soles who get up early to take a stand on this property are really getting screwed.

Up North with larger parcels - maybe it is not such a issue?

X Factor

Postby X Factor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:49 am

Am not suggesting a limited amount of public BUCK tags, just a limited number of antlerless based on the particular property in question. For example, up north we may have far less hunting pressure than you do in the south but far fewer deer overall too. It shouldn't take that much effort for each region's wildlife personnel to figure out a number of antlerless tags for a specific unit and sell first come first serve until gone. These tags would only be good for public land. All others would say private land only. Violators caught could be heavily fined and have their equipment confiscated and loss of hunting privileges.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:32 pm

Ok, so that would make sense to me, but how do you combat specific concentrated areas from getting over pressured still? For example, where I hunt in Marinette County, there is loads and loads of County Forest and State Owned Property. Are you suggesting that the limited doe tags be only on state owned property? If so, there is still mucho land area in lots of the north country that wouldn't be protected from such a rule.

Next

Return to Wisconsin