shoot through mesh and archery

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
huntingaddict1984

shoot through mesh and archery

Postby huntingaddict1984 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:59 am

How will shoot through mesh affect your arrow?...... will mechanical v/s fixed blade broadheads act differently? Anyone with any insight? I.shoot rage.2 or 3 blade 100 grain broadheads... will they open going through the mesh.... any horror stories guys?
In every hunt there is a trophy not always of the physical nature but in the experience....

Huntingaddict1984

Ohio farms

Re: shoot through mesh and archery

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 pm

There is an old thread on this forum about this subject that came up a good while back. If I remember correctly the consensus was that shooting through anything would have a negative effect on arrow flight to some extent.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

huntingaddict1984

Postby huntingaddict1984 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:07 pm

I figured as much ..... I will have to look up the other thread thanks....
In every hunt there is a trophy not always of the physical nature but in the experience....

Huntingaddict1984

bobow

Postby bobow » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:36 pm

I have a Double Bull blind which has a "fine" mesh and when practicing I don't notice a difference at my comfort range of 20-25 yards.

I also have a Big Mike blind & that mess I notice a little difference in that range so when practicing I will aim maybe an inch lower if that much in that same range. It seems tome to be a more "dense" mesh if that is a correct description.

Nothing scientific, just personal observations. So I guess the bottom line is practice thru the mesh to see what happens.

PS: thanks to Ben for getting me back online!
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Call me crazy but I won't shoot thru it. I've got a primos predator blind with the mesh. Once I get ready to draw I just slide it out of the way. I don't do anything that would risk injuring the animal and me not recovering it.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:46 pm

If Your going to shoot thru the mesh windows I would highly reccomend using a Fixed Blade....the Mechanical Blades can open when hitting the mesh material and cause problems.You can either get a good sharp fixed blade or simply pull the windows down ahead of time so Your ready for a shot...and try not to have the back window open so the Deer or Animals Your Hunting can see thru it and see You move,most Hunters wear darker clothes when Hunting in a ground blind so that may work too! :)

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:12 pm

1-GTOHunter wrote:If Your going to shoot thru the mesh windows I would highly reccomend using a Fixed Blade....the Mechanical Blades can open when hitting the mesh material and cause problems.You can either get a good sharp fixed blade or simply pull the windows down ahead of time so Your ready for a shot...and try not to have the back window open so the Deer or Animals Your Hunting can see thru it and see You move,most Hunters wear darker clothes when Hunting in a ground blind so that may work too! :)

Having said that, I also watch what direction I face when hunting in a blind. Like I don't face a rising setting sun. Silhoutte more likely

Return to Best Practices