Insomnia

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Ohio farms

Insomnia

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:45 am

Anyone have any ideas for insomnia that have worked for you? I fall asleep easily enough, but wake up 3-4 hours later and have a hard time getting back to sleep.
Other than in the morning, I don't drink coffee or other foods with caffeine. Occasionally I will have alcohol in the evening, but there does not seem to be any connection with my insomnia. Tried Advil/tylelnol Pm, which helps, but I feel dazed for a few hours after waking.
Any suggestions?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Re: Insomnia

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:31 am

Here's what helped me. Lay off all the people you have working for you and do ALL the work yourself, from ordering materials to making sales calls to pick and shoveling and carrying 80# block.

I guarantee you'll sleep.

Have you tried doing physical exercise, assuming that you can? Nothing makes me sleep better than being physically exhausted. No pills, potients, or other tricks....just work your butt off....literally.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:14 am

when u wake up, go to the TV, turn on Rachel Maddow or Home Shopping network.
Just watch it.....................watch it......................watch it.................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Back to sleep in < 45 minutes most times.
It's important to not put on anyone or anything the least bit interesting (seriously).
My friend does it, I tried it...........it really works
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:22 am

I would try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day and don't take naps. Don't eat or drink at least three hours before bed and no caffeine or alcohol or tobacco products about four hours before bed. Don't watch or read any high action shows or books before bed ether. I would try this and if this does not help, I would go see a Dr. Good luck!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:39 pm

I retired in 07 so work stress is not part of it and I do exercise 30-40 minutes 5 out of 7 days. I fall asleep pretty easily, but I wake up after 4 hours or so with my mind racing. I'll try Rachel Maddow, but I don't think that will really do it.
I've talked to my physician about it but, I'm trying to avoid Ambien and other drugs.
Thanks for your input everyone, I'll give some of your ideas a try.

bobow

Postby bobow » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Heavy drinking? :?:
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:39 am

Ohio farms wrote:Anyone have any ideas for insomnia that have worked for you? I fall asleep easily enough, but wake up 3-4 hours later and have a hard time getting back to sleep.
Other than in the morning, I don't drink coffee or other foods with caffeine. Occasionally I will have alcohol in the evening, but there does not seem to be any connection with my insomnia. Tried Advil/tylelnol Pm, which helps, but I feel dazed for a few hours after waking.
Any suggestions?

Hi Ohio. Try Melatonin. It's natural and available anywhere they sell vitamins, such as your grocery store. I think it helps me. It doesn't hurt to try it at all.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:04 am

I have tried Melatonin in the past, but after doing some research and talking to my physician I stopped. While Melatonin is advertised as a natural and safe supplement, it is actuality neither. It is a powerful hormone that is produced by the brain to regulate sleep cycles. The daily recommended dose is 1mg/day. Anything over that can be not only disruptive to your sleep patterns, but cause side effects, ie dizziness, nausea, irritability and headaches. Usually the over the counter Melatonin almost always comes in much higher doses than 1 mg.
It may be useful if your melatonin blood levels are low, but that is rare.
I do appreciate your trying to help me Sierra

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Valerian root. Or sleeping pills washed down with some good bourbon. (kidding), but seriously, valerian root.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks, I'll check into valerian root

Next

Return to Off Topic