2013 Hunting Redisign

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

2013 Hunting Redisign

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:02 pm

Some of you may remember that I lost my cherished Iowa hunting spot late last year. I've spent two months looking for new spots and weighing options. I considered everything from abandoning Iowa hunting to buying a 10 acre parcel. Most of the opportunities that presented themselves were either marginal hunting ground, very far from home or in places where I'd be squeezed by other hunters.

In the end, I decided to partner with two friends and lease a prime 100 acre farm. It's in the same county I was hunting before but is actually closer to my home. The guys I've partnered with all plan to use the property during different hunting seasons and they are both very laid back guys. It is not cheap, but it is within my budget. Best of all, it is ours in writing for the life of the lease!

I spent this afternoon walking the ground and marking potential stand locations. It has been a while since I've scouted a new deer hunting property so this is adding new life to my passion. The place is criss-crossed with trails and littered with tracks, droppings and big rubs. I am so excited for this challenge! I do not know how I'm going to contain myself between now and next deer season. One thing that may help is posting about the process of breaking in a new hunting location here on the forum.

kellory

Re: 2013 Hunting Redisign

Postby kellory » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Congrats, JPH, I figured you would land on your feet! I already know how you will spend your waiting time....You will be checking the land for draws, (food plants, water, and bedding) you will be picking your stand locations, and cutting shooting lanes. You might even put out range markers. You will be following tracks and rub line to predict their path, and may even put out a few cameras to get an idea of what is on the land. There are really only two seasons.....Hunting season, and prepping season. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:26 pm

kellory wrote: I already know how you will spend your waiting time....You will be checking the land for draws, (food plants, water, and bedding) you will be picking your stand locations, and cutting shooting lanes. You might even put out range markers. You will be following tracks and rub line to predict their path, and may even put out a few cameras to get an idea of what is on the land. There are really only two seasons.....Hunting season, and prepping season. ;)

Haha! You've got me pegged!

The funny thing is that in spite of all the work, I know the deer will humble me next year anyway. In my opinion, there is no substitution for watching the deer do their thing in the fall and adjusting accordingly. That being said, you have pretty much described my next 8-9 months.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:26 am

Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the Lord --Psalm 4:5

Some how I knew you'd pull this one out.

Congratulations.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:31 am

Congrats on the parcel.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:37 pm

Here is an overhead. Suggestions welcome.
imgBig.jpg
imgBig.jpg (51.95 KiB) Viewed 975 times

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:56 pm

The big denuded areas are crop fields?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:10 pm

is that a river bed in the back property? Sort of a pinch point between thick woods on your side with that neighbors lush, green field?? If so......nice.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:16 pm

The open area to the west and south is an active crop field. The open area in the northeast corner is a new CRP. The southern boundary is a rocky creek with a steep limestone hillside on the south bank.

The crop ground is pretty flat but eveything else is hilly.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:45 pm

My cousin has pretty much the same creek set-up you mention.
Hes on the thick wooded stream side, the neigbor has the high-walled creek side. He's set up near the water and the deer just funnel into his place through the creek edges.
looks like you may have a winner!

Next

Return to General Discussions