2013 Hunting Redisign

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
kellory

Re: 2013 Hunting Redisign

Postby kellory » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:52 am

Welcome to the forum Jelf. and than you for the info. I will check that site out, when I have time.
Animated_GIF_Welcome_Rotating_Sign_Gold_Cyan_w_2.gif
Animated_GIF_Welcome_Rotating_Sign_Gold_Cyan_w_2.gif (307.87 KiB) Viewed 527 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:50 pm

JPH wrote:Some of you may remember that I lost my cherished Iowa hunting spot late last year. I've spent two months looking for new spots and weighing options. I considered everything from abandoning Iowa hunting to buying a 10 acre parcel. Most of the opportunities that presented themselves were either marginal hunting ground, very far from home or in places where I'd be squeezed by other hunters.

In the end, I decided to partner with two friends and lease a prime 100 acre farm. It's in the same county I was hunting before but is actually closer to my home. The guys I've partnered with all plan to use the property during different hunting seasons and they are both very laid back guys. It is not cheap, but it is within my budget. Best of all, it is ours in writing for the life of the lease!

I spent this afternoon walking the ground and marking potential stand locations. It has been a while since I've scouted a new deer hunting property so this is adding new life to my passion. The place is criss-crossed with trails and littered with tracks, droppings and big rubs. I am so excited for this challenge! I do not know how I'm going to contain myself between now and next deer season. One thing that may help is posting about the process of breaking in a new hunting location here on the forum.

Well I am a little late to chime in here, but I wanted to also offer my congrats on the new hunting digs! I bet you are so excited to start mapping out and planning. May the locations you select be prolific and your time in the field as fun as can be.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:38 pm

The lease was official on February 1 but my family life has kept me too busy to get out there. This afternoon I finally loaded up the utility trailer and hauled out 8 stands, ladders, steps and all. I hope to start hanging them by the weekend!

Best of all, I saw a lot of deer moving around the property on my drive out.

Hope to post an update with photos soon.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:46 pm

Dunno how I missed this one! Good on ya J'per! I knew something would come your way. Good lookin' ground too!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:14 pm

Hung 5 today! Few things are more fun than hunting a new stand for the first time. I can't wait!
IMG646.jpg
IMG646.jpg (51.3 KiB) Viewed 418 times
IMG642.jpg
IMG642.jpg (54.44 KiB) Viewed 418 times
IMG643.jpg
IMG643.jpg (52.42 KiB) Viewed 418 times
IMG641.jpg
IMG641.jpg (64.14 KiB) Viewed 418 times
IMG640.jpg
IMG640.jpg (55.74 KiB) Viewed 418 times

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Looks great JPH! I'm already itching to get back into my timber and see how things look. Hope you do well next year!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Previous

Return to General Discussions