Ugh, more violent shootings

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Sailfish

Ugh, more violent shootings

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 am

CHICAGO (CBS) — Weekend gun violence in Chicago left two men dead and at least 14 other people wounded, including a man shot during a party in the Loop’s historic Palmer House Hilton Hotel.

The man, 25, was attending a party on the 22nd floor of the hotel at 17 E. Monroe St. when a male shooter pulled out a gun and opened fire, police News Affairs Officer Hector Alfaro said.

He was shot in the right leg, and was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in good condition, Alfaro said. No one is in custody early Sunday, and police had no word on what sparked the shooting.

A representative for the hotel could not be reached for comment.

The weekend’s first fatal shooting happened about 9:15 p.m. Friday in the West Side Austin neighborhood. A 21-year-old man was shot several times through a glass window while he was inside a Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits restaurant in the 5500 block of West North Avenue, police said.

Marshall D. Fields-Hall, of the 1500 block of North Luna Avenue, was pronounced dead at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County within the hour, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.

About 15 minutes after that attack, a separate fatal shooting claimed the life of a 19-year-old man in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood.

Jovantay Alexander, of the 1800 block of East 72nd Street, was found dead near 54th and Laflin streets, according to police and the medical examiner’s office. He had been shot in the face.

No one has been arrested in connection with either slaying as of early Sunday, police said.

Weekend shootings throughout Chicago left 15 people wounded.

If I may take some liberties and plagiarize other thoughts/statements i've read about this elsewhere:

Where is the uproar?
Where is Jesse and Al?
Imagine how many would be shot if they didn't have gun control in Chicago
Blacks shooting blacks no one cares. Whites shooting blacks, Jesse Jackson cares, blacks shooting whites a family may care, whites shooting whites it's the guns fault <---my personal favorite
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JPH

Re: Ugh, more violent shootings

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:45 am

Why does race have to come into the conversation?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:45 am

"Where is the uproar?
Where is Jesse and Al?
Imagine how many would be shot if they didn't have gun control in Chicago
Blacks shooting blacks no one cares. Whites shooting blacks, Jesse Jackson cares, blacks shooting whites a family may care, whites shooting whites it's the guns fault <---my personal favorit"

Spot on Sail, spot on!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:56 am

My question stands.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:18 am

Why? Because it's sadly true.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:43 am

So is this topic about guns or race? Or, as some gun opponents think, are we so motivated by fear ignorance that it leads to obsessions with guns and race? I do not think we should play to that crowd.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:39 pm

This is how I would like to see the question of guns in Chicago addressed. Here is a vet, with bright and well reasoned arguments staning up to a Chicago professor who says the 2A is irrelevent today. Not once does he drag race, or class, or gender, or even political affiliation into it. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=977_1358957795

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:58 am

This topic is about guns, violence and continued hypocrisy from the leaders and the liberal media in this country.

And i'll add my thoughts on why race comes into this.

There is a large amount of violence in the black community. I believe the stat was > than 5x in the black community something like that and the homicide rate for black youths is approx 3-75X greater than other races in industrialized countries (I had to google that stat). Truly race needs to be brought up, addressed, and folks do not need to be made to appear racists if they mention it or point it out.

Our very own president feels the need to interject race into crimes. If you recall the Cambridge officer who Obama slammed for "assaulting" the Harvard scholar, or his involvement with the Zimmerman case here in Florida.
Clearly race needs to be interjected into these discussions. If I were black I would be furious with my president and the media over all the unfairness and bias concerning these current events. Why does it take a mass killing of white youths/people at a theatre or a school to address gun violence from our president and the media??? These black children live this murderous violence EVERY SINGLE DAY of their lives! 75X more.
Of course race needs to come into this, you'd have to be blind or naive to think otherwise.
We have a long way to go to reach equality when these inadequacies continue to exist and are allowed to perpetuate especially when its the WH and the "liberal" media doing so.

Just my $2/100

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:56 am

Sailfish wrote:Of course race needs to come into this, you'd have to be blind or naive to think otherwise.

I'm sorry, please be patient with me. I'm still not following the logic.

Yes there is great inequality, poverty, and violence in much of America's black community. I accept that and I accept the need to address these issues. I also accept that the media's portrayal of the black community is often inaccurate. That too should be challenged. What I do not understand is what this has to do with the 2nd Amendment or the current debate surrounding it. I think bringing race into this discussion is pointless and it only lends credence to those that would portray us (gun owners) as racist reactionaries.

I appreciate your attempt to explain why race has a place here but I'm still not grasping it.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:21 am

Your viewing this thread strictly as a second amendment issue.
I was viewing it (as stated) as a "guns, violence and continued hypocrisy from the leaders of this country and the liberal media" thread.

I agree with you about the 2nd amendment; whether your black or white a gun kills the same and the law applies the same.

Next

Return to Off Topic