Update for Harrisburg

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
xmatax

Update for Harrisburg

Postby xmatax » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:08 am

Taken from their website...

Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show - Update - January 24, 2013

Reed Exhibitions has decided to postpone, for now, the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show given the controversy surrounding its decision to limit the sale or display of modern sporting rifles (also called ARs) at the event. The show was scheduled to take place February 2-10 in Harrisburg, PA.

“Our original decision not to include certain products in the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show this year was made in order to preserve the event’s historical focus on the hunting and fishing traditions enjoyed by American families,” said Chet Burchett, Reed Exhibitions President for the Americas. “In the current climate, we felt that the presence of MSRs would distract from the theme of hunting and fishing, disrupting the broader experience of our guests. This was intended simply as a product decision, of the type event organizers need to make every day.

“It has become very clear to us after speaking with our customers that the event could not be held because the atmosphere of this year’s show would not be conducive to an event that is designed to provide family enjoyment. It is unfortunate that in the current emotionally charged atmosphere this celebratory event has become overshadowed by a decision that directly affected a small percentage of more than 1,000 exhibits showcasing products and services for those interested in hunting and fishing.

“ESS has long been proud to participate in the preservation and promotion of hunting and fishing traditions, and we hope that as the national debate clarifies, we will have an opportunity to consider rescheduling the event when the time is right to focus on the themes it celebrates.”

Woods Walker

Re: Update for Harrisburg

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:18 am

***NOTE THE LAST SENTENCE!***

From the NSSF:

NSSF Statement on the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show

We have just learned that Reed Exhibitions has decided to postpone the 2013 Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show.

In the days following Reed Exhibitions' announcement that modern sporting rifles would be prohibited from the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show, the leadership of the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) has been in intense, frank discussions with Reed Exhibitions management in an effort to reverse this unacceptable decision. These discussions reached an impasse.

NSSF is in no way affiliated with, nor does it participate in or exhibit at this show in any way. Reed Exhibitions does, however, manage the NSSF-owned SHOT Show (though Reed manages the SHOT Show, all SHOT Show decisions, policies and actions are made at NSSF's direction).

Because of Reed's recent actions, NSSF is considering all options regarding the management of future SHOT Shows.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

xmatax

Postby xmatax » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:24 am

Yeah...I did see that, however this at least provides a chance for them to reconsider their stance on banning AR's from the show. I definitely agree with their decision to call it off for now as the emotions both for and against are still running extremely high and with that volume of people who have differing opinions it is a stage for disaster.

My guess is they will give it a little time and see if the public opinion about AR's changes. However, given their core audience I don't think they are going to be fighting a winning battle if they continue down the path they originally chose. The up-side is if they do re-consider and do hold the event with AR's being allowed it will help the vendors who rely on this event for their livelihoods!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:57 am

Reed has basically committed economic suicide. We hunter folks argue about a lot of things but this isn't one of them.

Couple of points FYI.....

Reed is a BRITISH company, and the Brit's ideas about the individual right to keep and bear arms are much different than ours. In fact, that very issue was the catalyst that started our war of independence.

One of the major sponsors of this show is Progessive Insurance, who's owner is just that....and a very big $$$ supporter of Obama and the anti-gun agenda that he's trying to ram down our throats.

I could be wrong, but I don't see Reed doing any sigificant change in their policy. If that be the case, then they're are done as a promoter of outdoor type shows.
Last edited by Woods Walker on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:09 am

I'd have to say that the more realistic reason they are postponing the show is the simple fact that with so many people boycotting (either vendors/presenters or customers) they simply won't be able to make enough money right now. I don't think they really care one way or the other about the values and customs of hunting and fishing traditions.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:12 am

"Our original decision not to include certain products in the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show this year was made in order,” said Chet Burchett, Reed Exhibitions President for the Americas."

Sounds like they STILL don't get it.

".... to preserve the event’s historical focus on the hunting and fishing traditions enjoyed by American families..."

Using the LEGAL firearm of their choice to hunt or defend their families with is NOT part of America's historical traditions???

I guess you can't fix stupid.......
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

xmatax

Postby xmatax » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:12 pm

"It is unfortunate that in the current emotionally charged atmosphere this celebratory event has become overshadowed by a decision that directly affected a small percentage of more than 1,000 exhibits showcasing products and services for those interested in hunting and fishing."

I think that you may be right WW and out of around 1200 vendors about 20% pulled out which doesn't include their headlining speakers. While I don't consider 20% to be HUGE by any means, the fact that it was at 20% with days still to go for people to drop out I think he may be tucking tail and running because he won't pull in enough money from it as deebz said.

I'm not really sure how the public opinion will be in 3 months or 6 months from now. If shootings keep happening then I expect the super-charged politics of banning stays alive. Otherwise, like almost every other tragedy that has happened, with time, that charged group of individuals loses their flame and it won't be such an issue to allow AR's to the event. Polls released after the Newton incident at their peak were almost 70% wanting a ban on AR's and now a month later those numbers have dropped almost 20%. The longer it drags out, as history proves, the less of an issue AR's become, unless that ember is re-awakened.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:26 pm

"I'm not really sure how the public opinion will be in 3 months or 6 months from now. If shootings keep happening then I expect the super-charged politics of banning stays alive. Otherwise, like almost every other tragedy that has happened, with time, that charged group of individuals loses their flame and it won't be such an issue to allow AR's to the event. Polls released after the Newton incident at their peak were almost 70% wanting a ban on AR's and now a month later those numbers have dropped almost 20%. The longer it drags out, as history proves, the less of an issue AR's become, unless that ember is re-awaken"

I agree that part of it is apathy and the nano-second attention span of the typical voter..."HEY! The Kardashians are on!"....

But a BIG part of the "time is on our side" angle is that the longer the debate goes on the more the TRUTH about the matter is exposed. Let's face it, 90% of what the gun ban crowd spouts is BS, pure and simple, not to mention completely ILLOGICAL on many points. Most people cannot even correctly identify what an "assault rifle" even IS, no less understand what they can and cannot do.

The whole idea of "we gotta ram this legislation through right now" is solid evidence of this. If they REALLY thought they had truth and logic on their side they'd long for an open debate. But they don't. We do!

Our brother D&DH'er kellory posted this link a while back, and it should be viewed and passed on to EVERYONE YOU KNOW!

http://www.assaultweapon.info/

I know of at least 3 people who I passed this on to who have had their eye's opened and in one case even changed their mind!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:14 pm

xmatax wrote:
I'm not really sure how the public opinion will be in 3 months or 6 months from now. If shootings keep happening then I expect the super-charged politics of banning stays alive..

I don't want to pick on you xmatax. I'm sure you are a decent, level headed person, but the sentiment expressed in the quote above is the one many gun owners are expressing. It may be a correct estimate but it seems to place the concern about our guns above the sorrow over the loss of life.

I think a lot of gun owners are more worried about public opinion and its' effect on gun ownership than the growing trend of mass shootings. Please don't misunderstand me, I do not support the ban of any guns in current civilian circulation. I see the solution to be far removed from the question of guns alone. I just think we as gun owners need to be less defensive and more concerned with the well being of all people. Every time some psycho strolls into a crowd of innocents and starts shooting, many of my gun owning friends begin to put defiant and inflammatory posts on facebook and internet forums. They barely acknowledge the tragedy, if at all, and they run to the closest gun show to buy another rifle and pat each other on the backs for being so patriotic. I think it lacks humanity and compassion.

This is not said in support for gun bans or outdoor shows that would draw the line between one legal rifle and another. Nor am I accusing you xmatax, of being insensitive to the loss of life. It is just a call for all of us to take a long look at how we view these questions and consider to the possibility that humility and compassion for the innocent may not be a better posture than defiance and that our first thoughts after a shooting should be centered on the dead and their families and not on public opinion.

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Just my read on it but...

I worked H'burg about ten years in a row. It is a huge show for the otudoor community. It is a small show for Reed, quite minor. I believe Reed is through with it. In all likliehood, the show is for sale right now. I seriously doubt Reed will ever try it again. It is shame because it was an economic boost to that entire area. The HRI business will lose millions and that is no exaggeration. In addition, tax revenue losses will be huge.

On the plus side, we, the hunting/fishing community had a huge win. However, it was not without a price.

Next

Return to General Discussions