Personal Alarm/Siren

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
HenrikPopowski

Personal Alarm/Siren

Postby HenrikPopowski » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:12 pm

Hello Community,

Many types of electronic alarm mechanisms are available, often on keychain attachments, which can be carried and sounded if you find yourself in trouble as a way of attracting attention and discouraging an assailant. Better models produce sound levels above 110 decibels.

As a device, such items are still only useful if kept immediately at hand. If you don't have it with you, or readily available, when assaulted, it won't do you any good. A positive side is that these devices are not offensive weapons and can't really be used against you like a can of pepper spray might be, should the attacker take it away from you.

Thanks and Regards,
Henrik Popowski

Woods Walker

Re: Personal Alarm/Siren

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:19 pm

My personal alarm can also be used as a defensive device...and it travels at 850 fps. The alarm only works after the defensive part's been activated though so it's sort of redundant! :mrgreen:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:26 am

Okay. Here's mine, WWII vintage. I just need the keychain attachment to make it personal, right?

Is it all right if I just bolt it to my deer stand, and then I don't have to carry it back and forth? I want to be up in my stand before I operate it. First off, I have to have the elevation, just so folks clear back at the house will hear it. Second, while I'm cranking on that thing, someone is likely to crack me on the head.

Besides, if I get accosted on my way to the stand, I'd probably just turn around and shoot the blackard and then call the County Dispatch to tell them to send over John. He's the Coroner and he also runs the funeral parlor. He has land right next to me-- heck of a nice guy, too.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:21 am

HenrikPopowski wrote: A positive side is that these devices are not offensive weapons and can't really be used against you like a can of pepper spray might be, should the attacker take it away from you.
i

Wait...................then how will it work against the attacker?

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:40 am

As funny as it sounds, I've actually used one of these personal alarms to good effect. My wife went to some women's seminar and they were giving them out as door prizes or something. We played with it at home. The thing is ear splitting and the pin that activates it is a pain in the ass to get reset once it is pulled. Anyway, my wife decided to stick with her cell phone and .38 so it laid around the house and was used mainly for pranks.

At the same time I was dealing with trespassing and vandalism at my hunting camp. There is no electricity and money is tight, so security options are limited. I decided to use the personal alarm as a security device. I mounted it to the inside wall and connected the cord to the door in a way that you have to slip your hand in an disable it before fully opening. Later that fall a group of local teenagers went on a tear, bashing mailboxes and harassing the Amish. I came down the next morning and found my dooryard rutted up and the front door to the cabin booted in. Inside the alarm was still blasting away, albeit slightly weaker for the loss of battery. It did not save my door frame but it scared the punks off before they had a chance to touch anything inside. In the end, it only makes a thief nervous enough that they would rather steal elsewhere, but that's usually enough.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 am

Now that's a good idea! I would never want to trust my life or that of a loved one to a loud sound if the threat were imminent, but property definately!

And them local 'neer-do-wells had best lay off them Amish...they have their own MAFIA now according to the TV!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:03 am

If it were me, I'd like a noisemaker that sounds like Win Model 12 cycling. That, in the dark, would certainly make someone rethink their plans.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:10 am

True that, but if it's inside just think of the yucky mess you'd have to clean up from the burgler after he fled from what he thought was the last sound he'd ever hear!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Return to General Discussions