Eastern Sports & Outdoor Show Caves In

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Schmidt

Re: Eastern Sports & Outdoor Show Caves In

Postby Schmidt » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:54 am

Hi WW,
We actually have not been a vendor at that show. However, we wholeheartedly support all of the companies, individuals and hunting industry community members who have banded together to support the 2nd Amendment stance. As we noted in the last issue of DDH, modern sporting rifles are every bit a part of our hunting culture as the bolt-action rifles, slug guns and muzzleloaders we carry to the deer woods.
My best,
Dan Schmidt

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:41 am

My bad! But you were on the list. And thanks again for the support!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

The_One

Postby The_One » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 pm

unclebuck wrote:I wouldnt really say its "sad", but i get where you are coming from. Personally I dont care. I dont go to hunting and fishing shows to buy AR's. I go for free chew.

ANYONE who is too lazy to write their congressional representatives and let them know they do not support further gun controls deserves to lose their 2nd amendment rights. Ruger has made it SIMPLE to do that at http://ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html .

Complacency is inexcusable! As absurd as Feinswine's proposed legislation may be, it has a good chance of passing if you remain silent. You may not care about "assault rifles", but this proposed legislation is only the beginning. Your favorite hunting rifle could just as easily be added to her list as could ALL semi-auto firearms.

hot tamale

Postby hot tamale » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:33 pm

woodswalker, am i missing something?

why would pulling out be a good thing? To me, It makes the companies look like they don't support the show. I would rather see the companies stay and make a stand, not bow down to the protesters. the protesters aren't going to buy their products anyways.
as far as the likes and dislike garbage, the 10,000 people not going are probably not hunters or outdoors people to begin with.

I think I am on the other side of this one. I would encourage the companies to reconsider their pulling out and make a stand. If we don't have the big company backing and dollars, we've already lost!!!

Like I said, Maybe I am missing something here, but pulling out because people are against something is to me--just not the way to go.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:33 pm

Well it's a moot point now, because Reed has cancelled the show and is refunding all moneies paid by the vendors and the ticket purchasers.

And I still think that it's a good thing overall. NOT that people lost money and sales, but that the outdoor people of America have shown that this divide and conquer scheme that the anti-gun forces are trying to use against us HAS FAILED. And it failed in the biggest commerical arena of it's kind.

And don't you think for a minute that the ripple effect from this hasn't been felt or noticed in Washington either. Oh, they won't talk about it or admit to anything, but you'd better believe that Democrat elected officials from predominately red states are aware of this and WILL BE thinking about it when it comes time to vote on any of Obama's gun bans.

Like I said, the sleeping giant has been awakened, and he ain't happy about it!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

hot tamale

Postby hot tamale » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:31 am

I understand what you are saying, but don't you think this is exactly what the anti's wanted? to shut the show down? wouldnt this be considered a win for them?
I guess what I am trying to say is to stand up to them, do not cave in because it just gives those idiots momentum. They'll use this as a "We got the show to close" kind of garbage.

I think we have to stand up to these bleeding heart liberals and show strength in numbers. if our companies and speakers alike all bail out on the show-they are the muscle with the money to back up our rights. If they go, we are just words lost in translation when it comes time to make a stand.

I do see your point of view, i just think going about it differently would have been the best course of action.

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:03 pm

As far as I'm concerned, there was only one course of action acceptable in this case.......the action that was taken. If we all looked the other way, we would be caving to political pressure just like the British company that runs the show. They banned items from being displayed that are still very legal to own and to sell out of fear of anti-gun backlash. Do you think the NRA would back out if staying was the correct course of action?

We are having our rights compromised every day in this country by our own government and other anti-gun activists who have no clue what the real problem is or just have zero common sense and/or knowledge of the subject they are opposing. It's not the law abiding citizens or the NRA members causing the problems or committing unthinkable acts, but we are the only ones that the proposed "fixes" are targeting.

The outdoor show was one of the few events I looked forward to attending every year, but I was not planning on going even before the show was cancelled because I felt it would show support for the Brit's decision.

Silly Brits..........and please take Piers Morgan with you when you leave!
Dave M.

hilber

Postby hilber » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:01 pm

Time to stand up. I am glad the show cancelled. I will not support anyone or anything that is anti gun.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Great article on the show.............

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminite ... t-america/

He hits it on the head pretty well.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:26 am

Good article on a couple of points; bad article on a couple of points.
Bad: It continues to call this Outdoor Show a "gun show." Frank Miniter knows better. The headline says it is a gun show, and the picture with the article is not a picture of this show. Of course, as the writer of the article, Miniter probably had nothing to say about the headline or the photo illustration. Those were probably Forbes' editorial decisions.

Good: This is a great quote, and serves to illustrate the hypocrisy of Reed management:
“Our original decision not to include certain products in the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show this year was made in order to preserve the event’s historical focus on the hunting and fishing traditions enjoyed by American families…. In the current climate, we felt that the presence of MSRs would distract from the theme of hunting and fishing, disrupting the broader experience of our guests. This was intended simply as a product decision, of the type event organizers need to make every day.”

If "the event's historical focus on the hunting and fishing traditions" was really their aim, then why did Reed promote the addition of modern sporting rifles right from the beginning? Most people do not know Reed did that. So, the aim of the show was not to sell any guns, let along "tactical" or modern sporting rifles. It was actually Reed's decision to include guns in recent years, and tactical guns this year. What people reacted to was not Reed prohibiting these guns, but Reed going back on their own original decision to promote these guns.

Steve.
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions