CWD-positive deer detected in Portage and Juneau

wurzgj01

CWD-positive deer detected in Portage and Juneau

Postby wurzgj01 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:16 am

In case you haven’t heard the WI-DNR has found two CWD positive wild deer in Juneau County (DMU 54B), and in Portage County (DMU 57A). See attached link:

http://dnr.wi.gov/news/BreakingNews_Lookup.asp?id=2607

I've been told by the WI-DNR that they will be holding a public meeting in Juneau County and Portage County soon. The WI-DNR wants to share information about their findings, answer the public's questions, and see where the public wants to go from there. As soon as I get the information as to where and when the public meetings will take place, I will post it. Thank you.
Last edited by wurzgj01 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Salmon

Re: CWD-positive deer detected in Portage and Juneau

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:05 pm

Yes, they found their first case in Racine County this year too.

What's your point? That the DNR is making this all up?

I'm not following where you are trying to take or want this to go.

wurzgj01

Postby wurzgj01 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:54 am

UPDATE

On Tuesday, February 19th, from 7:00pm to 9:00pm, the WI-DNR will be holding a public meeting in Portage, WI. The purpose of the meeting is to provide the public information regarding CWD following the discovery of the disease in a wild white-tailed deer in Portage County this past deer season in Deer Management Unit 57A.

The meeting will be held at the Mead Wildlife Area Visitor Center, 2148 County Highway – S, Milladore, WI. http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/wildlifeareas/mead.html

The person in charge of the meeting is Mr. Kris Johansen, DNR Wildlife Supervisor for the West Central Region. His contact information is…

Mr. Kris Johansen
473 Griffith Avenue
Wisconsin Rapids WI, 54494
(715) 421-7818
kris.johansen@wisconsin.gov

If you are unable to attend this important meeting, please feel free to contact Mr. Johansen in person if you have any questions, concerns, or comments.

Thank you

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:45 pm

IMHO, I really do not think CWD is a threat at all. Matter of fact, its more of a scare tactic to cause a good reason to kill off more deer than we should.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

wurzgj01

Postby wurzgj01 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:57 pm

I agree with you 110%

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:43 am

Since CWD hit Portage county, doesn't it make Marathon, Shawano, Waupaca and the other counties that butt up to Portage baiting free from now on? Baiting is no illegal

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:58 am

I still think we don't know as much as we need to know about it and how it works.

For that reason, I think that the policies that have been in place have been a little overzealous, but have and continue to evolve to what is current knowledge.

This is a no win situation for the DNR. They get too heavy handed in the policy and they are wrong. If they do nothing and it ends up to be transmissive to humans and they are the reason that it spread and humans are now in danger, they are wrong.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 am

I think the current law says surrounding counties get a no baiting ban if a county get a CWD free ranging deer testing positive

Does anyone know if I am right? Also, since Shawano county touches corner to corner with Portage - do they get the ban as well?

I am not anti baiting but actually hope it happens - I think it will make hunting better.

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:38 am

Cwd has to be found within 10 miles of a different county for it to affect that county

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks

Return to Wisconsin