Good question Sailfish. While sitting in the stand 95% of the time I'm focused on the task at hand. Straining to hear and see sound or movement, along with taking in the beauty of the woods and all the other wildlife around me. The other 5% has to do with lunch, the discomfort of sitting all day in the cold and my bladder. I really do try to leave, as they say, all my cares and woes behind.
Many years ago my sister in law asked my brother and I, "What do you two talk about all day deer hunting? " Our response was, "We say good luck" in the morning, and "Did you see anything?" at the end of the day. Unlike goose and duck hunting, where you can enjoy each other's company during the hunt, with deer hunting you had better enjoy your own company because you spend long hours with yourself. I might just enjoy that the most sometimes.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.