GROUND BLIND

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
MAP2269

GROUND BLIND

Postby MAP2269 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:50 am

I WOULD LOVE TO USE A GROUND BLIND,BUT IT JUST SEEMS LIKE THE DEER WOULD SEE A BIG BLOB ON THE GROUND ON THEIR HOME GROUND. I KNOW YOU TRY TO HIND IT THE BEST YOU CAN AND SET IT UP IN AN AMBUSH SPOT,BUT WE ALL KNOW THINGS DON'T GO THE WE ALWAY'S WANT THEM TO. SO GIVE ME SOME ADVISE ON HOW TO SET UP A GOOD BLIND. I'M USING A BOW.

charlie 01

Re: GROUND BLIND

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:24 pm

If it will be used on your private hunting grounds you can leave it up and the deer will get used to seeing it there and will eventually concider it to be no threat to them. Some blinds have loops so you can cut brush and branches to put on and around it to help with concielment. The ideal thing would be to put it in a place where you would have to cut some brush and veggitation out for the exact size of the area of the blind while leaving living remaining brush and what ever around it. Placement would be the hardest choice. You would not want to be moving it. Scout the area and see what looks good. Could be the edge of a field or food plot where some good trails come out, or if there are some old but visable scrapes from last season. If that buck is still around it is a good possibility he will use it again. If not, you could always freshen it up yourself. Or if you find a stageing area (they are usually in the woods, but sometimes not too far from the woods edge) where bucks will do a lot of rubbing on trees before emerging in open areas.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Ground blinds are a great tool. And the previous suggestions are great. When I first tried my ground blind out, I learned that the hard way. I took a friend out on his first muzzleloader hunt. We sat in the blind together so that i could guide him on the proper shot placement, when to shoot etc. and to try to film. We saw 3 does way out in a field get spooked when the farmer fired up his tractor and I told me friend get ready cause I knew they would eventually get to us. Sure enough, when they got to 50 yards, they spotted the blind and were gone! Now when I use my blind I tuck it back into existing vegetation,preferrably with some overhanging branches that can be trimmed for shooting lanes, or brush the heck out of it.

But I would also add that nature can make great ground blinds. If you do not have the time to wait for deer to get used to a new blind or permission to cut, or would have to clear the forest for enough brush to hide your blind, blow-downs, old logs, cattails, a thick clump briars, can all make for a quick blind. The first deer I shot I was using a think group of briars with honeysuckle growing through them as my blind. I have killed several deer with a bow using an old ash log that sits about waste high of the ground and is covered in virginia creeper.

So brush up your groundblinds but don't be scared to use the one's nature provides as well. Good luck!
www.deer30outdoors.com

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:31 pm

I hate treestands. Can't stand em. Very bad experience in one and I just have a hard time getting......comfortable up there anymore. I recently bought a Primos Max Vision ground blind. Love the thing. Quiet. Easy to set up. Easy to take down. One of my fav haunts has several big deadfalls and I can back right up against those and brush it in nicely. First time I ever used it, I had a doe walk right past me. Great blind. I love it. Keeps wind and rain off. Hides my movement if I want to make any. It is harder to hear in one and vis is not near as good as a tree but at least you if you fall its off a bucket or low seat :o I plan to use it a lot this year. I'll keep you posted on my progress or lack thereof!

hot tamale

Postby hot tamale » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:34 pm

just thought you'd like to know of a product called ghost blind. basically its a reflective mirror that comes in panels. I think they are quite pricey but they do work well. I would think you could get some sheets of reflective mirror type paper/sticker and apply them to foam panels. Either way, check out ghost blinds and see for yourself.
I am not a big believer of the tent type of blinds. to me these are silly and it's like putting a Giant Elephant in the middle of your living room and then hiding in it. If you are that afraid to be out in the weather, than a person should probably stay home. Just my thoughts though.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:56 pm

About 15 yrs ago I saw some mirrored plastic panels used for decoration. At that time I checked on them and found them to be way too expensive. I thought how great that would be to have as side panels to a blind. Any deer would see itself and it's surroundings. You wouldn't need a decoy, the deer would decoy itself.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:36 am

I believe the premise of the ghost blind is the panels are angled outward a little bit. That way they reflect the ground that is directly in front of them without catching any glare from the sun. In the advertisements I've seen the blind pretty much literally disappears into the foliage while concealing whoever is sitting behind it. Looks pretty cool, but you really only get concealment from one direction.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:04 pm

Deebz wrote:I believe the premise of the ghost blind is the panels are angled outward a little bit. That way they reflect the ground that is directly in front of them without catching any glare from the sun. In the advertisements I've seen the blind pretty much literally disappears into the foliage while concealing whoever is sitting behind it. Looks pretty cool, but you really only get concealment from one direction.

You are mistaken my friend, the blind I got to examine, was 360 degrees around the hunter, and it reflected the foliage around it most impressively. They do angle outward somewhat, but not a lot. and it was very nearly undetectable. However, it is a spur blind design, can not be enclosed, and the hunter is visible above it, so movement is obvious.
;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting