144 and a half Alabama 8 point

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
BamaBucks14

144 and a half Alabama 8 point

Postby BamaBucks14 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:56 pm

This buck was killed 1-5-2013. Not a bad way to start the new year! He is the biggest buck I have ever harvested!! Me and my dad hunt about 500 acres that my aunt and uncle own. It is woods a fields that farmers grow corn a soybeans. Not some fenced in crap! It was near the end of second rut and and only a few young bucks were still following does so I wanted to get in a long hunt to maybe catch a nice buck going from bedding to get a snack. I got in the tree at 11 am and saw 5 doe at 12:45 followed by a little 4 point. Didn't see another deer until 2:30 and it was a button buck. I was hunting a ladder stand in a gully in the woods but to get there you have to walk through a field that we see deer in a lot. so before I even got in the stand I decided before dark I'd crawl up the hill to the edge of the field to see if I could spot anything. So at 4.45 I got out of the stand and belly crawled to the edge of the field and panned the field with my binocs while laying prone. At 5:05 I saw a huge bodied deer walk out from the woods into the field at about 150 yards. I saw he had a nice rack but could not tell exactly what he was. Each year I only shoot bigger deer than I've killed previously. Lying on my stomach, I reached for my gun as silently as I could but still made noise. He immediately looked right at me and I had had to make a quick decision to shoot...and I did. After pulling the trigger on my Ruger 7mm rem mag he ran across the field a disappeared around another set of woods.... I have never seen a deer run that far after being hit with my Ruger so I thought I missed. But after letting some time go by I went and looked for him and saw just a piece of rack and got so excited I called my dad so he could experience it with me(he couldn't hunt that day). To both our surprise he was the biggest deer me or dad have ever killed! Dad has hunted for 45 years and me since I was 6, I'm 24 now. He scored 144 and a half which I think is huge for a mainframe 8 not a 10 or 12! He weighed 221 pounds which is crazy for Alabama( Alabama deer or taller and more slender, at least where I hunt) I will put more pics when he comes back from the Taxidermist sometime in March! I got him posed in full sneak! Man I LOOOOOOVE Whitetail hunting, I will never forget this hunt and will pass the story down to my children when I have them! Now check out the pictures!!!
Where he fell:

Return to Photo Corner