Any bowfishermen out there?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
aclemons

Any bowfishermen out there?

Postby aclemons » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Hey guys,

Just curious if any of y'all do any bowfishing in spring and summer when deer season's closed?

Just curious. Thanks for your time.

Alan Clemons
DDH Managing Editor

kellory

Re: Any bowfishermen out there?

Postby kellory » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:22 pm

I did when I was younger. I haven't done so for the last few years. I do more catch and release, these days.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:37 pm

I've never gone, but I do eyeball the starter kits every time I walk through the archery aisle at my local sportings goods store. I would love to get started with it. I just don't really know anything about how to get started or what is needed for bows/strings/arrows, etc...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

aclemons

Postby aclemons » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:12 pm

Deebz, it can be a bit perplexing.

The Bowfishing Association of America has chapters or clubs, and members, in many states. Check their website below to see if you maybe can find one in your neck of the woods.

http://www.bowfishingassociation.com/baa/Home.html

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:14 pm

I did do that a couple of times many years ago, but always was uncomfortable with just throwing rough fish on the bank. Just didn't seem right to me. Just my opinion.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:06 pm

garden fertilizer, coon/coyote bait...and you might be surprised at how many people will actually eat things like carp...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Yes, I know there are some things that can be done with them, but I personally have no use for them or know anybody who wants them. I'm not in judgement of those who do, but for me it would be a hassle. If I knew somebody who wanted all I could get, it might be different.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:15 am

One fish that I would have no problem with just eliminating would be the Asian Carp that are infesting out waterways... Granted they may not be near you, but in places like the IL river they are doing a lot of damage to the native populations.

But I definitely see your point in not wanting to just kill things without putting them to use.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:26 pm

When I was younger I used to do a lot of it. Like Deebz says, we used the carp for fertilizer (make GREAT fertilizer in fact!), and back in those day I also did a ot of trapping. We'd cut the carp into chunks and put them in a big glass jar out in the sun. After a few weeks the flesh and bones would decompose into an oily sludge which we'd use for 'coon lure, as racoons are extremely fond of fish.

When my buddy came back from his tour in Viet Nam, he told me that the people over there used to basically do the same thing but then the'd pour it over rice and eat it! YIKES!!! They called it Nuc Mum, or something to that effect.

I do miss bowfishing. Wading a flooded field in May and sticking a huge carp and then watching as the arrow went speeding off making it's own wake and all is probably the closest I'll ever get to harpooning a whale!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to General Discussions