Training Center! My ticket out?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
ranwin33

Re: Training Center! My ticket out?

Postby ranwin33 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:33 pm

kellory wrote:I already tried apples from seeds, and they never sprouted, I will try again with saplings. Top of the hill was where I planted them, in the largest clearing with the best light. I didn't test the soil, I don't know much about planting, other than the basics. Should I add something to the trees when they are planted or later? I am a novice on growing things. ;) I have tried corn at the same spot, with no luck either.

In the woods soil tends to be LOW pH, especially if you have oaks and hickories. Very low, like in the 4.5 range which means, lime, lime, and more lime. So you might want to get it tested. When planting sapplings, do just like you would at home, dig a hole twice as big as the rootball and back fill with good well amended soil once placed and water well. You might also try a root stimulator to help things along. In the woods you can try tree tubes to help protect the trunk but deer will stand on their hind legs and eat the tips of branches as they emerge from the tops of the tubes, so I would also recommend guarding the sapling with a wire cage that puts the tree in the middle of about a 3-4 foot diameter circle. Anything you can do to keep deer from eating the branches and rubbing the trunk. Then pray for rain and keep the weeds and grass down to give the tree the best possible start.

If you used store bought apples, those apples may have been irradiated and those seeds will not sprout.

There is a reason you see those big anhydrous tanks out in the fields during corn planting season, corn needs nitrogen and lots of it to put on big ears. We have tried the corn route on our place and while we can grow stalks, the ears are always small and tend to get stripped off by every critter in the woods well before hunting season.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:57 pm

So you are saying that gardens have a fence for a reason? I thought it was just so the plants didn't wander off when they are young and stupid. :lol: I can do tree tubes form pvc and I have lots of chicken wire. When should apple trees be planted?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:10 pm

I would plant in either the Spring or Fall - would not want to burn them out with Summer temps, plus in Spring or Fall chances of rain are better. Spring after chances of frost are done if the trees have leaves, or Fall just as the summer ends so they have a couple of months before temps freeze the ground.

If you use PVC pipe for a tree tube, it might be a problem later on when it comes time to remove it. Thats a lot of cutting and you might end up damaging the trunk. Just something to think about.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:47 pm

Nope, run them through a table saw a few times to make strips a couple of inches wide, place as many as are needed for a loose fit,then wrap with duct tape in a couple of places or tie wire. Removes very easily as the tree grows as more slats are needed. reusable, easy, modular. :mrgreen:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:16 pm

ranwin33 wrote:Funny you should mention a bass lake - the 60 acres directly south of our place has a nice 7 acre pond/lake on it, but they want $4000/acre for the place. Maybe someday they will come down in price and we will be in a position to buy. Had the NRCS out for a visit to talk about water, they said we could pretty much put any size pond/lake on our place we wanted given the lay of the land and drainages - just a matter of digging holes and placing dams. That information gave my wife a vision of about half the place going under water and becoming more of a resort type place and less of a farm. Big dreams.

But for the rest of it, KS is a little flat for a lot of that stuff. Not to say somebody with some heavy equipment and dollars could change the terrain to be a bit more accomodating. I have this dream of owning the property with the big pond to the south, then connecting it to our smaller pond with a waterway and giving people boat rides between the two places. Maybe I will win the lottery.

Hey JPH - do you still own your place in MO. If so, not sure if it would be of any help, but I plan to haul our tractor North over Memorial Day holiday for about a week and do some work on our MO. place - I have a 6 foot tiller attachment that will put in awesome food plots. If interested let me know, I believe your place was pretty close to ours and I would be happy to take an afternoon and help you till in some plots. I was amazed at how well this tiller worked on the sod bound pasture in KS.

Just a thought. on your connecting waterway, you could rent out peddle powered paddle boats, and the kids would fight over them. maybe a row boat or two as well. And of course, you would need a bait shop, or you could keep it small and just supply worms and minnows, as the grounds and pond could supply those. :mrgreen:

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:25 pm

I found your site JPH. only problem is it is in New York....http://www.missilebases.com/adirondack

Anpol

Postby Anpol » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:46 pm

Well that is nice if you have decided it mate because training can play a very good role in your daily life and takes your stuff to the next level this is how i feel.
According to what i have seen till the time it is pretty cool.

Physical therapy Emrnews

Previous

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness