State Public Grounds

X3_Shooter

State Public Grounds

Postby X3_Shooter » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:24 pm

I have been hunting the Public Grounds down here in the SE part of the state for about 3 years now and have not had much luck. Usually, they're overrun with the bird hunters and the constant gunfire (not that there's anything wrong with that). I was wondering if anyone had any tips for hunting these grounds or if anyone down here new of some private land that the owners would not mind a responsible archer hunting on in the late seaon.

Goose

RE: State Public Grounds

Postby Goose » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:57 pm

The only advise I got for you is get where everybody else isn't! 80% of hunters hunt within 1/3 of a mile from a road. Find the deers escape route and get there before everybody else and hunt different hours than everybody else. The deer will pattern the hunters and move accordingly.  Good luck!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Drewiske

RE: State Public Grounds

Postby Drewiske » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:25 am

You need to go to the county offices and purchase a plot book where you can see where property lines are and then also get a  topography map of the same area.  You can find nice areas that are less travelled and can find bottle necks of cover and terrain that the deer will funnel through.  My uncles will do this even when the areas are only accessible via a boat ride and they will see numerous deer from thir craft.  When they see something worth stalking, they will pass the area where the deer are and stalk back towards the deer, sometimes this takes the entire day, but they seldomly leave without a mature buck to the extent that its a monster.  

Return to Wisconsin