The Hungry Will Stay Hungry

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

The Hungry Will Stay Hungry

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:05 pm

This happened in Louisiana of all places...the "Sportsman's Paradise"!!!!

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/to ... -meat.html

Feb 25, 2013
By Todd Starnes

Hunters across Louisiana are outraged after state health officials ordered a rescue mission to destroy $8,000 worth of deer meat because venison is not allowed to be served in homeless shelters.

The Dept. of Health and Hospitals ordered the staff at the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission to throw 1,600 pounds of donated venison in garbage bins – and then ordered then to douse the meat with Clorox – so other animals would not eat the meat.

“Deer meat is not permitted to be served in a shelter, restaurant or any other public eating establishment in Louisiana,” said a Health Dept. official in an email to Fox News. “While we applaud the good intentions of the hunters who donated this meat, we must protect the people who eat at the Rescue Mission, and we cannot allow a potentially serious health threat to endanger the public.”
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rthomas4

Re: The Hungry Will Stay Hungry

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:15 pm

If someone was dumb enough to complain about venison being served, then the HHH needs to stop providing the meat. See how long the programs last without the donations, and how quickly the state will change thier tune when they realize how much money the program has saved over the years. This makes no sense, if the meat has been processed commercially, then that means the state Ag Dept. has already approved the processors, along with the FDA, just like any beef, pork, or chicken that is served in these shelters. If the people who depend on these places for food, don't want to eat venison, then let 'em starve!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:21 pm

More imaginaed threats. It's about saftey, not control. Nothing to see here. :roll:
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:23 pm

And yet we hunters agonize over not recovering a deer. Unbelieveable. Almost ONE TON of perfectly good venison wasted. That's immoral.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:14 pm

Insane story! So much for "my body, my choice", huh?

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Maybe they should of read the rules before trying to serve venison. It's their own fault.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Yeah, but even with that why did that have to DESTROY it? Why not just send it back?

"The Dept. of Health and Hospitals ordered the staff at the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission to throw 1,600 pounds of donated venison in garbage bins – and then ordered them to douse the meat with Clorox – so other animals would not eat the meat."

WTF????? :evil:

I can guarantee you that in Louisiana there'd be PLENTY of needy families that would have taken that meat in a nano-second to prepare themselves. I've given numerous deer away to people that have needed it and they always tell me to call them if I ever have another to give away. For SURE you could have had that meat made into jerky or snack sticks and sent to our military personel over in the sandbox!!!

I guess the old admonition of "Beggars can't be choosers" doesn't apply anymore!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:34 pm

Really!!!! This is the first I heard of this! A few times a year, the radio stations get together and put on a clean out your freezer day. And people bring everything from fish to deer to help out the needy! So I guess this is over, because some one complained! Well, this is going to hurt a lot of people! That's sad!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:27 pm

Yet you all seem to fail at seeing where this may have originated...HUMANE SOCIETY...For was it revealed who complained?

I would also like to see the side by side statistics showing illness and death resulting from Farm raised..Fruits...Vegetables...Meat(mad cow) and Fish.,Compared to donated venison. This is a program that has been in the works for years across the country. Now all of a sudden this and Church pot luck dinners (fund raisers) are being shut down...yep I see tactics have changed
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Return to General Discussions