shed huntiing

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dominantbuckhunter32

shed huntiing

Postby dominantbuckhunter32 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:18 pm

Having much like shed huntiing here in PA , already preparing for October!! the creek bottoms have been my best bet soo far!
Live.Hunt.Breathe.

ishman

Re: shed huntiing

Postby ishman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Havent been out looking yet. Ive still got 4 bucks with full racks yet as of last saturday. Got about 7 that have shed both sides and one that has had one antler for the last 2 weeks. Id say about 2 more weeks or so and ill start hitting it hard.
Eric

dominantbuckhunter32

Postby dominantbuckhunter32 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:56 pm

wow.I just cant believe they are dropping them soo early here at least for me , and even for me walking up on two different perfect sets beside each other in the last two days , so for me im hittin hard now mostly because ive had this much luck so early!
Live.Hunt.Breathe.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:00 pm

Up to 21 as of yesterday. Here is a pic of one of my better ones. It scores 89 4/8. Still looking for the other side.
P1010008-1.jpg
P1010008-1.jpg (153.15 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
IMG_2471-1.jpg
IMG_2471-1.jpg (54.84 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

ishman

Postby ishman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:05 pm

Its sure is nice to find matched sets laying side by side. Ive only found sets laying together 3 times in about the last 7 or 8 years. But the nice thing is that they were all big sets. Charlie that is one heck of a nice antler. I sure hope you find the other side. Any idea how old that deer is?
Eric

dominantbuckhunter32

Postby dominantbuckhunter32 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:54 pm

wow , that is a very nice shed ...hope you find the other one!! that sucker is going to be such a hog this year! whered you find it ? near a bedding area?
Live.Hunt.Breathe.

xmatax

Postby xmatax » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:09 pm

dominantbuckhunter...where in PA? I'm up in the Northwest Corner of the state and the weather has been pretty terrible as of recent so we haven't been able to take a walk. I'm just curious as it seems deer drop at different times for different areas. I'm hoping I can get out this weekend and have a nice nature walk and find some, but that remains to be seen.

dominantbuckhunter32

Postby dominantbuckhunter32 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:18 pm

located in southwest pa , the weather has let up here for us , mostly rain , make sure you get on out , ive had tremendous luck already as my first day shed hunting this year and day right after found 2 perfect sets already , tell me how often that happens ! I go out almost everynight check by creeks , thats where my best luck has been!
Live.Hunt.Breathe.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:27 pm

No RT. side yet Eric. I'm guessing 4 1/2, maybe 5 1/2. I don't think he is going to get a whole lot bigger. He took a big jump in size from last year. I found this same side last year and it scored 70 3/8, now he is 89 4/8. Never did find the RT last year. I think he is one of those guys that goes a long ways between left and right drops. A friend of mine saw him once, and said that his right side is very typical. 80% of the time, larger antlered bucks will drop them close by. They are so uncomfortabe with just the one side that they try to get rid of it. But there is nothing set in stone when it comes to antler drop. I've had some large ones drop the last one over a mile away from the first. And then I have found a set of spikes 2 feet apart. The big antler was found near a bedding area on high hills with oaks. I'll have to put a trail cam in the area next year to see what he looks like.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

DaveYak

Postby DaveYak » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:27 am

I have never taken the time to specifically go out and shed hunt, if I was to go where is the best place to look? Should I simply get on a trail that I can follow or should I try to get into a bedding or feeding area and search around? I am sure either will work but which is best? I have limited time and wouldn't want to waste any looking in a spot that generally won't produce many sheds.
DaveYak,
Land of the free,
Home of the brave,
Faith in God that'll never waive!
Do It To It Outdoors @ Facebook

Next

Return to General Discussions