shed huntiing

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dominantbuckhunter32

Re: shed huntiing

Postby dominantbuckhunter32 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:41 pm

best places to look are bedding areas , very rarely can you find them on a normal trail , best places i would say are a buck trail very thick with easy debri to knock an antler off , check creeks , there my best bet.Creek crossings are very good , and also areas around there winter yards or in other words bedding area to there main food source , it is not a waste of time at all as it is very fun , you could also venture through a trail with a high variety of logs as when a buck may jump that log his antlers would pop right off ! definetley get out! youll be soo happy when you find a shed! hope that helps!
Live.Hunt.Breathe.

ishman

Postby ishman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:36 pm

Charlie, good luck finding that other half. I have noticed too that most of the time larger racked deer seem to drop there antlers close together. I guess they would feel quite lop sided with only one. This year has surprised me though. About a 150 in 3yr old that ive been watching has been carrying one antler for a little over 3 weeks now. Thats something i havent seen much

Dave, typically if im shed hunting a place im unfamilar with or am looking for the first time i usually find a good food source that is getting hit hard and follow the trails back to their bedding areas. This time of the year that is basically the only places they are. They go from bed, hit the trail and out to feed. One other place ive always had luck is little spring seeps where water seeps from the ground. They always seem to be green when nothing else is. I find antlers every year in these places. Although ive seen them in crazy places before too. I found one stuck 3 feet up in a bush once and the best was while watching a red squirril up a tree in srping turkey a few years ago i watched it knock the shed it was chewing on out of the tree!. I left it there for him since i figured he probably had worked pretty hard to get it up there!!
Eric

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:03 pm

BigHorse found one in a cool spot this year... I'll let him chime in and tell the story if he wants...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:21 pm

One of last years sheds actually. Pheasant hunting in some bottom ground this year we found it hanging in a tree. At first glance thought it was a deer bedded. First time I've ever seen a shed tree.

I went out for a couple hours last weekend but didnt find any. Pulled the card from my camera and I know there is at least one out there though...

Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Previous

Return to General Discussions