Hunting Suit

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dominantbuckhunter32

Hunting Suit

Postby dominantbuckhunter32 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:45 pm

I currently hunt in the Bone Collector edition ''Freak Nasty' suit and has been nothing but great for me.I really like it. It is very coumphy , Warm and convenient for all seasons of hunting , but i was looking to lay this suit down for awhile and try something new.Anything you guys find thats great that i should try out ?
Live.Hunt.Breathe.

charlie 01

Re: Hunting Suit

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:47 pm

I like that " Vertigo Gray" for tree stand hunting, or on the ground during snowy conditions. In the tree, the gray kind of matches the sky and really breaks up your image. It's pricy but if you watch Sportsmans Guide cataloge, sometimes they run some great prices on this patterrn. That's where I purchased mine.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

xmatax

Postby xmatax » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:50 am

I use the Team Whitetail gear...3 in 1 parka and pants...they were about 170 for both. They are weather proof, scent proof, etc. They also have lighter gear you can buy at a fraction of the cost of the Scent-Lok gear for archery, etc.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:03 am

dominantbuckhunter32 wrote:I currently hunt in the Bone Collector edition ''Freak Nasty' suit and has been nothing but great for me.I really like it. It is very coumphy , Warm and convenient for all seasons of hunting , but i was looking to lay this suit down for awhile and try something new.Anything you guys find thats great that i should try out ?

Just curious. If it is warm and convenient for all seasons, why are you looking for something new?

I like to layer. For my coldest sets I wear Under Armor 4.0 cold gear on the bottom, heavy wool pants and sweater in the middle and Gortex type rain suit to block wind on the outside.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:12 am

Luckily, I don't have to contend with the nasty white stuff, but when it's cold down here, I wear my Game Hide NAHC logo camo coveralls, and Drake Waterfowl Parka. Other wise, it's whatever camo I can buy the cheapest, and of course when I'm dog hunting for deer in the swamp, I always wear my Dan's Muck Boot hip waders, since I'm usually standing in about 3 feet of water.

Considering that I have to take blood thinners due to my strokes, I'm usually freezing if the temp drops below 40 degrees.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

dominantbuckhunter32

Postby dominantbuckhunter32 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:21 pm

JPH wrote:
dominantbuckhunter32 wrote:I currently hunt in the Bone Collector edition ''Freak Nasty' suit and has been nothing but great for me.I really like it. It is very coumphy , Warm and convenient for all seasons of hunting , but i was looking to lay this suit down for awhile and try something new.Anything you guys find thats great that i should try out ?

Just curious. If it is warm and convenient for all seasons, why are you looking for something new?

I like to layer. For my coldest sets I wear Under Armor 4.0 cold gear on the bottom, heavy wool pants and sweater in the middle and Gortex type rain suit to block wind on the outside.

i just figured that i would try something new for once other than the same original stuff i always wear i take an interest in the under armour suits but i have heard that they are not the warmest
Live.Hunt.Breathe.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:22 pm

dominantbuckhunter32 wrote:i just figured that i would try something new for once other than the same original stuff i always wear i take an interest in the under armour suits but i have heard that they are not the warmest

Fair enough. For what little it is worth, once I find something that really works I stick with it. I've been hunting in the same wool sweater since 1999!

The Under Armor is a fairly new thing for me. I have also heard complaints about UA but I think it is fantastic. I think the problem is that people think all UA is the same. In fact, some UA garments are actually made to keep you cool. If you are looking for gear to keep you warm on the stand, I'd go with cold gear 3.0 or 4.0.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:02 am

I have some of the Rocky extreme cold long handles, and they help tremendously, but they are slightly bulky. I usually wear them when the temps drop down to freezing or below. I also have the Cabela's camo, scent free thermal underwear which is what I wear on a regular basis, and of course I have the Redhead summer weight stuff for our early season. It helps keep me cool when it's in the 90's and sitting in a deer stand.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to General Discussions