New Hunter Advice

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
mdavis71

New Hunter Advice

Postby mdavis71 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm new to hunting (been about 4 times) and I'd like to get some opinions on this. I hunt on land that has about 145 acres, and I've picked out a spot that I like. Every time that I have been I've seen deer, often even within 30 feet of me and I'm just leaning up against a tree. The problem is it's all does. I hunt in kind of an open forest with oak and hickory trees right beside where it turns into a thicket. I know there's bucks on property from the amount of rubs there. I usually get there in the morning and my question is this: Since deer feed at night and are usually headin back to the bed in the morning, would I be better off hunting in the thicket? Or should I just keep waiting at the spot I've been sitting at and seeing does? I did see one very nice buck, but he was coming from the other direction (another thicket out in front and to the left of my spot) and I could never get a clear shot. I'm just wanted to ask because I wasn't sure if a pretty open oak forest is a good spot to be sitting waiting on deer.

Appreciate it.

Woods Walker

Re: New Hunter Advice

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:18 pm

If you are seeing does consistantly, then you have the best buck magnet you could ever want. When the does are ready to breed the bucks will be there. They can't help themselves. Hunt the thickest part of the cover or as close to the heavier cover where you have been seeing the does. And be patient. They're guys, and they act like...well...GUYS!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:50 am

Shoot a doe.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:11 am

The problem that you have describes is actually a gold mine. It's ladies night in your spot...the boys will come.
Be patient grasshopper.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

mdavis71

Postby mdavis71 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will hunt does but I have to wait until the anterless hunt days around here.

rloper394

Postby rloper394 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:56 am

The does will bring the bucks but try to hunt where its really thick a big mature buck is not gonna come out into open oaks even with a doe if there is no ground cover the bucks will not come out til after dark
when its the rut they think with their other heads only to a point unless you hunt one of these retarded farms that the so called real experts on tv hunt on ( unpressured bucks will go and move anywhere!!!)
in the real world of hunting to kill mature bucks you have to set up where the deer sign is either on the edge or smack dab in the middle of the nastiest cover remember think like a deer and think where a deer thinks where humans wont go remember this!! hunting pressure is the number one key to kill bucks
hunter pressure will shut deer movement down especially bucks before anything else good luck my brotha and good hunting

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:22 pm

JPH wrote:Shoot a doe.

I concur with all the above esp the quote above. Thin the does, the boys have to move more. But you have all you need right there. Sounds perfect. If I had does that close, I'd do it with a bow. Silent but violent. Take out some of those, Bucks are forced to move more.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Make You a Mock Scrape under an over-hanging limb/branch and put out some Doe Pee or Doe in Estrous closer to the Rut on the scrape and/or on a scent wick hanging close to where Your Hunting!Usually closer to the Rut I get me a drag line with some Doe Scent and put it on the end of a stick and drag it along side of me out away from my steps/tracks and walk it down to where I'm Hunting then I hang it on a limb a few feet off the ground to draw in a Buck...get more aggressive! ;)

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:24 pm

1-GTOHunter wrote:Make You a Mock Scrape under an over-hanging limb/branch and put out some Doe Pee or Doe in Estrous closer to the Rut on the scrape and/or on a scent wick hanging close to where Your Hunting!Usually closer to the Rut I get me a drag line with some Doe Scent and put it on the end of a stick and drag it along side of me out away from my steps/tracks and walk it down to where I'm Hunting then I hang it on a limb a few feet off the ground to draw in a Buck...get more aggressive! ;)

I was really surprised at how well mock scraping worked. Did it first time this year. I even had does walking up, stepping in it and peeing. Got em on cam. Also got a young buck on cam checking my scrape out. I was shocked that it worked that well. I had a mock line running along a path by one of my climbers. Had 2 6s and a 8 checking those. Shame only thing there to see it was my game camera lol

Return to Best Practices