wisconsin crossbow federation is gaining steam

hot tamale

wisconsin crossbow federation is gaining steam

Postby hot tamale » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:08 pm

just wanted to let everyone know that the Wi Crossbow federation is gaining steam and membership. They/we have a new website up and running.
the very first quarterly newsletter went out earlier this month and a lot of political talking has been going on in Madison and all around the state.

People have been asking why nobody updates them on what has been done or what is being done? well the truth is, we are up against a couple of groups of people that say one thing and do another when it comes time to signing agreements/ documents. anything the prolong the process for crossbows as full inclusion.
it is not that the organization wants to keep the general public out of the loop of information, it's just that the Wisconsin Crossbow Federation . com doesn't know who is with them or against them.

For example, there is a certain person that has posted on this web site as well as several others, under many different names. he was caught cheating the system, got fined and we all know the rest.
well, that same person, along with a few more, are basically spies and will use any and all information they can get to keep putting up barriers against a full inclusion to crossbows.
So Please bear with us for now and join us in our efforts to get full inclusion in WI. If you don't want a choice of weapon, that's fine, but many of us want the freedom of choice!

Check out the new website and join us now. Together We Can Make a Difference!!

Thanks

wilmer thrun

Re: wisconsin crossbow federation is gaining steam

Postby wilmer thrun » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:42 pm

How many members do you have?

hot tamale

Postby hot tamale » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:53 pm

Wilmer,

Are you related to brad thrun?
anyways, I believe we are at 600 plus, but I am not sure off the top of my head. I do know there are a bunch signing up right now and getting processed, so I don't have an honest answer for you.
Hopefully after the spring deer and turkey expo and a few other events were going to be involved in, we should hit a thousand no problem this year.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:24 pm

The politics on this just seem so out of hand that they are losing the big picture. I have no issue with the first proposal - 55 you can hunt with crossbows during bow season. Having separate season and separate tags just seems out of control. Keep it simple

I am sure our buddy Retch didn't help things. Guys like this are not leaders and to think he played a role representing bowhunting in WI is an embarassment.

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:29 pm

I will most likely vote no to both questions. I think it would be good to have a separate crossbow season and a separate tag and separate registration so all data is kept separate from bowhunting. The season could even run concurrent with bowhunting for some duration of the bow season but even if it ran the entire length of the bow season that would be ok so long as its entirely separate of bowhunting. If its a good idea to have crossbows for all then it should survive on its own merits. That way the DNR will have data on usage and success rates of crossbowers and have separate data for bowhunters. That way the crossbowers get what they want and the bowhunters get what they want. Its a good compromise. WI would still be a two buck state. You could kill one buck with your gun and another with either s bow OR a crossbow.
Last edited by wilmer thrun on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:26 am

KY just went to 1 buck tag, now Illinios has a proposal to do the same. 3 buck tags in WI will not help the age structure of our buck herd

Let everyone over 55, women over 50 hunt with them during bow season with a bow license. Big deal

You can't tell the difference between a crossbow and bow anyways with the hole in the animal. You might be surprised at how many people use crossbows anyways on private land. Keep it simple is my vote

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:59 pm

No not 3 buck tags in WI. Thats not what I suggested. You would still get only 2 bucks. One with a gun and one with either a bow or a crossbow. You would buy a bow license or a crossbow license (but you couldn't buy both. If you are a bowhunter you buy a bow license. If you are a crossbower then you buy a crossbow license but you could not buy both. Then all the usage demographics and harvest data is kept separate for the DNR and they will know how deer die. Right now they know exactly how many deer are killed by bowhunters and gun hunters and ML hunters and this would allow them to know how many deer are killed by crossbowers.

Like I said, even if their season ran the full length of the bow season, so long as they were kept completely separate of bowhunters, the bowhunters would not give a darn and wouldnt put up a fuss and those that want to be crossbowers get what they want (to hunt deer in the fall while bowhunting is taking place) And the DNR would be better able to manage the deer herd by knowing how many of each type of hunter there is and what success rate they enjoy. That way, as the number of hunters goes up (as it will if crossbows are allowed) and the buck kill goes up (as it will if crossbows are allowed) the gun hunters would not get mad at the bowhunters and demand a longer and earlier gun season or a shorter bow season since it wont be the fault of bowhunters as I would expect the number of bowhunters to actually decline since some will stop being bowhunters and instead become crossbow hunters. Everybody wins. The DNR wins by having good, sound and clean data, the bowhunters win because their season is in no way impacted and the crossbowers win because they get to hunt deer during a time bowhunters are in the woods. This is the perfect compromise. I cant imagine any parties objecting to such a plan since everybody gets what they want in the spirit of compromise and the state remains a 2 buck state.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:13 pm

No change goes without complains in WI. Let me me predict what will happen:

1. Bowhunters will complain about the unfair advantage of crossbowers in the bow season. Ie. Your neighbor will have an edge and some people will not like that and complain

2. Buck kills will go up before gun season and the gun hunters will be wild. They already are complaining about the number of big bucks bow hunters take in Nov. Crossbows will just add fuel to this fire

I personally don't care. I love my bow, crossbows don't interest me one bit and I also gun hunt. As long as they don't take away the rut from bowhunters, I can live with any change

If they do this I do wish they would eliminate baiting. Crossbow over bait will be shooting fish in a barrel during early season. A crossbow season will drive more baiting and I really don't like this type of hunting. I did it for years and quit because it got too easy. Plus no baiting in WI is coming anyway with the CWD spreading across the state.

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:48 pm

I dont think bowhunters would complain since they have lost nothing in this type of compromise. Their season goes unchanged. Their tag goes unchanged.

Crossbowers would gobble up such a chance at the fall deer woods.

The gun hunters are the only ones that might complain if the buck kill goes up but they would not be complaining about the bowhunters since their numbers would likely go down and some would stop being bowhunters and instead buy a crossbow lic. If gun hunters get upset, they can either buy a bow lic or a crossbow lic and join the fun.

The DNR gets great data and knows exactly how many of each type of hunter there is and how effective each is with each weapon allowing them to beet set season structure in the future. A win win win across the board.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:42 pm

The Wisconsin Bowhunters are fighting crossbows with everything they have. You're wrong on bowhunters accepting this. They see crossbows as competition

Next

Return to Wisconsin