Deer learning?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
rthomas4

Re: Deer learning?

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:16 am

I'd like to know who provides the turkeys with the season dates! I can have 'em in my front yard the day before and the day after the season, but can't fine one during the season!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Yes, deer do learn. there is no doubt about it. they now look up for stands, they didn't used to do that, I have used a automated feeder, that feeds just after sunrise, and just before sunset, and you can see them turn to the sound of it, when it goes off, and eat. Like rattling, the sound has meaning for them, and that is a learned response. Dogs can learn,(as Pavlov proved) so why is it any stretch of the imagination that deer do it too?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:19 pm

Dogs? Deer aren't even CLOSE to dogs as far as learning goes.

We had a Sheltie for many years that was SO damn smart that you couldn't even LIE to her!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:10 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Dogs? Deer aren't even CLOSE to dogs as far as learning goes.

We had a Sheltie for many years that was SO damn smart that you couldn't even LIE to her!!!!

I have had and known some very smart dogs, which has no bearing on weather or not a deer learns. The size of the brain seems to have the most to do with train-ability, and deer and dogs aren't that far apart in brain size. (averages).
There is the deer that made the new a while back, that took up residence in town, and the people adopted it. even gave it a collar and tag! We debated then, if it was smart or stupid.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:45 am

rthomas4 wrote:I'd like to know who provides the turkeys with the season dates! I can have 'em in my front yard the day before and the day after the season, but can't fine one during the season!

:lol:

Maybe we could teach the deer to lead us to the turkey and or visa versa :ugeek:
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:30 pm

"rthomas4 wrote:
I'd like to know who provides the turkeys with the season dates! I can have 'em in my front yard the day before and the day after the season, but can't fine one during the season!

Maybe we could teach the deer to lead us to the turkey and or visa versa
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

actually, you can...turkey decoys, are pretty good at drawing deer in close enough for a shot. Deer seem to believe, if it is safe for them, it is safe for me. ;)

antlerking69

Postby antlerking69 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Deer learn of corn piles or feeders by reading the notes the turkeys leave for each other. The turkeys write on birch bark trees with quill pens. If there are no birch trees, they either email or text.
This is what i thought

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:11 pm

Both deer and thurkeys get the season dates from Bowsite. They use to get them from AT but they are all banned for life along with me. :o

As I have said on many occasions, deer are not terribly smart. To a certani degree, they are creatures of habit. But once they break the habit, they usually wear regular clothes...wait a minoozle. I got confused. That is nuns that do that.

Deer are just quite aware. That is why they awear habits. Oh dam it, that is nuns again. I must have penquins on the brain. And I haven't even been to Norts.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:08 pm

"Deer are just quite aware. That is why they awear habits. Oh dam it, that is nuns again. I must have penquins on the brain. And I haven't even been to Norts."

Norts and penquins??? LOL!!! I have many memories of Norts but trust me, penquins and nuns were NOT among them! Cougars, cows, foxes, and even some pigs, but NEVER penguins and nuns! :o
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

MZS

Postby MZS » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:23 am

I know a dog or cat as a house pet very quickly learns to associate sounds with a food source. Quickest way to find your cat is pour some food in their bowl - they come running. I would think a deer is as smart as a cat or dog. So yes I think they would learn this if given a week or so of conditioning.

Previous

Return to General Discussions