shotguns & chokes

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
vahuntinchick

shotguns & chokes

Postby vahuntinchick » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:37 am

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the site & am in need of some advice. I've been hunting for a long time, but seriously hunting for only a couple of years. When I started, I found an old Stevens single shot & some 000 shells & away I went. That's what I've been using & killing a few deer with up until last year. My friend has an old 1100 he is letting me use & I really like it.....it doesn't kick like that Stevens! I do not want to keep using his gun, it's in great shape & I don't want to drop it or damage it in any way. I'm looking for a decent shotgun for all around hunting. Used is definitely an option. I like to turkey hunt and deer hunt. While deer hunting, I have killed a deer with a slug, so I'm thinking maybe a gun with interchangeable chokes. Pump or automatic doesn't really matter to me. Budget is in the $500 range, new or used. I would appreciate some insight on this. Way too many options out there for me to feel comfortable making a decision.

Thanks in advance!
Cheryl.

Virginia

kellory

Re: shotguns & chokes

Postby kellory » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:26 pm

vahuntinchick wrote:Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the site & am in need of some advice. I've been hunting for a long time, but seriously hunting for only a couple of years. When I started, I found an old Stevens single shot & some 000 shells & away I went. That's what I've been using & killing a few deer with up until last year. My friend has an old 1100 he is letting me use & I really like it.....it doesn't kick like that Stevens! I do not want to keep using his gun, it's in great shape & I don't want to drop it or damage it in any way. I'm looking for a decent shotgun for all around hunting. Used is definitely an option. I like to turkey hunt and deer hunt. While deer hunting, I have killed a deer with a slug, so I'm thinking maybe a gun with interchangeable chokes. Pump or automatic doesn't really matter to me. Budget is in the $500 range, new or used. I would appreciate some insight on this. Way too many options out there for me to feel comfortable making a decision.

Thanks in advance!
Cheryl.

Virginia

Cheryl, There are many answers to that question, but two I would recommend would be the 870, and the mossberg 500. These guns swap whole barrels in less than a minute (easily) and you can leave it set the way you like it. I use the 500, myself, with a field barrel for small game shotshells, or rifled slugs, and a sabot barrel for sabot slugs which I use for deer hunting. You can pick the barrels you prefer, for your type of hunting. I will drop links to both types of guns, though this is just for comparison, not for any store or location. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... Combos/706

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... i=GM443685 this one is similar to mine, but without the adjustable cheek piece on the comb of the stock. hope it helps.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:38 am

I have the 1100, the 870 and the 500. Kellory is right, but I will also add that the 1100 may also be a good choice. Of the three it is going to kick the least, because it is a semi-auto. That adds some weight and the gas system bleeds some of the gas to work the action both of these contribute to less recoil. The downside is that the 1100 is the heaviest of the 3.

Cost of ownership? The cheapest will be the Mossy 500.

The most reliable design? Probably the 870. However, folks have different opinions on that. I have an 870 at the gunsmith at the moment.

My first shotgun was an 1100, and I rigged it to do everything. This was just before the dawn of choke tubes, and you had to buy different barrels. As a result, I ended up with 4 barrels for that shotgun, and I frequently carried a spare barrel slung on my back when I went bird hunting, just in case the conditions changed.

My second shotgun was a Mossy 500. I got it out of a scratch and dent bin at Dicks. It has been mostly a dedicated turkey gun, but I also found a cheap rifled deer barrel for it for when I hunt Kellory's side of the Ohio River-- Ohio is a shotgun-only state.

The key here will be finding one that fits. My first shotgun was always a problem until I matured enough as a shooter to know what I wanted and then went out and bought a new stock for it. A shotgun should work like a piece of your body. Also it needs to fit price and purpose. You can get a $150 shotgun or a $1500 shotgun, but if it does not work for what you want to do , it will just get in the way.

Back to that barrel idea: If you find a good deer combo and you are hesitant to buy it, look on gunbroker.com for a compatible barrel. Usually you can find 28" barrels with screw-in choke tubes fairly cheap. It works both ways. Extra deer barrels are out there too.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:55 am

I am also a fan of the 1100, but if you are considering a new semi-auto and want to go with a nicely priced and equally well equipped new shotgun, you may want to consider TriStar. They have a very nice line of semi-auto shotguns that are lightweight, and low recoil. I bought a .20 gauge model for my step-grandsons first semi-auto, and it came with all of the choke tubes, gold trigger, and nice walnut stock for less than $400.00. Stoeger also makes a very nice model for just under $500.00 and it's owned by Beretta. Both of these guns are built in Turkey, and are well made, value priced shotguns.

I'd recommend that you look at several different brands and types of guns, and see how each model fits your body before making a decision. Also, shoot as many different guns as you can, in order to get a basic idea of what suits your style. If you decide to go with a used gun, be sure and have it checked out by someone you trust, preferably a gun smith, since many people get rid of guns due to functioning problems, or barrel problems. Also, once you have made your decision, be sure to pattern your gun to see which brand of ammo and what type it will handle the best. Personally, I shoot buckshot for deer, due to hunting with hounds in the swamps of SC, and in a hunting club situation. I've found that some of my shotguns prefer #1 Buck, while others like 00 buckshot, and all of mine both pumps and semi-autos prefer Winchester or Remington shotgun shells over any other brands. BTW, for deer, I also go with a modified choke tube, which helps bust through the cover down here and puts more of the load into the kill zone on running deer.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to Guns and Ammo