What kind of hunter steals another persons trail camers?????????????

Oletrapper

Re: What kind of hunter steals another persons trail camers

Postby Oletrapper » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:30 am

I have had two stolen. I just bought two new ones. I intend to place one on the trail and the other about 15' up trained on the trail mount. I either lose two more or I get them on the chip. A friend has a farm which he does not live. It is kind of like our deer camp. There is a refrig in the barn and someone kept helping themselves to the food and drinks. We mounted a trail cam in the top of the barn and we caught him.
farm_theft_1378.jpg
The thief
farm_theft_1378.jpg (191.48 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
farm_theft_1381.jpg
farm_theft_1381.jpg (189.61 KiB) Viewed 2556 times

I hope I am as lucky with the trail cam. The guy in the photo got 5 years. He was on probation for another theft.

OT
Life Member: NRA,UTK,FTA,LKS,NWF
Annual Sponsor: QU,DU,NWTF

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Nicely done! Book 'em Dano! :D
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:01 am

I would be furious if someone stole my cameras! I do not have a flexible income to buy $200 cameras very often so a stolen camera can put my trail cam surveillance out of comission. Plus I did not work hard for my money just to have some A-hole rip me off! I have had numerous cases of other hunters turning my cameras off but never stealing them. But my Moultre cameras have built in security codes, without the code you can't use the camera. I even had someone remove the card and clear the images and then put it back, leaving a pic of themselves so that I would know someone had messed with it. At least they didn't steal the card. It is people like this that give hunters a bad name.

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Several years ago my oldest son had his tree stand stolen from our lease property. I just got a trail cam this past Christmas and have been playing around with it in my yard. Love it. Our hunting property is a good distance from home, so we don't get out there nearly as often as we would like. However, since our archery season opens on the 29th of September, I'm going to head up next week and set up my camera. Very concerned that someone may trespass and run across it and decide that they need it more than I. (Could be the same individual that took my son's stand). In any case, I figure what good is the camera if I don't put it out?
On a somewhat related side note: Starting some years ago, we began losing kerosene from the tank at our hunting camp. Several other trailers and cabins in the vicinity, even a few poor folk who live there year-round, but no real close neighbors. One or two of the folks living there have spent some time in the pokey for stealing, but unless they are caught red-handed, it's almost impossible to prove anything. I made up a large sign saying simply "Smile, we want to get a good picture or you" and posted it directly beside the K-1 tank. Of course, there was no camera, but the kerosene tank hasn't been raided since then. (I certainly hope that the thief doesn't subscribe to this forum......but then again, you never know who is joking and who may be telling the truth).
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

jdfuller1946

Postby jdfuller1946 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:14 am

Just found this site. Interesting.

I finally bought a camera with a password and that sends pictures to my phone. I put this warning inside and outside the camera"

Dear potential felon: VA Law § 18.2-95. Grand larceny: 1 year / $2500 fine. This trail camera sends pictures instantly to my phone. It is password protected. If you are going to steal it note that I will be posting your picture to law enforcement and various websites. If you do steal it and want the pass code call me at 571-481-7558 and I will give it to you for $1000. Jeff (over)

Also make sure you find the second camera. – after having five cameras stolen I now protect my main camera with a small trail cam that with luck has snapped you mugshot several times by now. If you are out in the woods you must want to be a sportsman. Sportsmen do not steal.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:48 am

A bit long winded, but I like it, Jeff. welcome to the forum. Make yourself at home. And let me know if I can help. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

croz2173

Postby croz2173 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:19 am

Havent had a camera stolen yet, they are pretty deep in the woods that dont see many people until rifle season in late nov-early dec. Did have my climber stolen this year in rifle season. It was brand new and was a mile and half from any road, hidden under some downed logs to save me from packing it in every day. Guess I'll have to start bringing a lock with me. I dont understand these people, it wouldnt even cross my mind to steal anothers hunters gear.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:03 am

Those type of people aren't sportsmen, and they certainly aren't hunters! They are thieves! If they will steal other people's stands, and cameras, imagine what else they'll steal......including game!

I've had problems with trespassers on my property, who poach and damage my trail cameras. They also ride four wheelers and motorcycles across my food plots. I started putting cameras in discreet locations, and periodically will go out and just shoot for the hell of it. Once they figure out there's no telling when you might be around to catch 'em, it helps to dissuade them from trespassing....and stealing.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

trailcamstore

Postby trailcamstore » Thu May 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Authorized Store! super great price !
Trail camera store :www.trailcamstore.com

Rish

Postby Rish » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Bastards steal other peoples trail cameras. I suspect cos they've usually caught the little sh*t in the act and they're trying to get rid of the evidence. Either way, it sucks though. Awesome you got him some time.

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting Cameras