wisconsin crossbow federation is gaining steam

hot tamale

Re: wisconsin crossbow federation is gaining steam

Postby hot tamale » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:23 am

So I wasnt able to post for a bit and caught slack for it. I post and the rest of you don't check back and comment like you asked me to do?
That's ok, I understand, people have lives off of the forums.

have a safe and happy Easter.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:04 am

Actually HT Wilmer was the only one with the snide remarks. ( I still suspect he is Retch). I whole heartedly agree with what you have said about full inclusion. Ohio has had it for many years and it is working fine. When you register in a deer you check off the type of weapon used so that the DOW knows harvest figures by weapon. Very simple.
Keep up the good fight HT.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Ohio farms wrote:Actually HT Wilmer was the only one with the snide remarks. ( I still suspect he is Retch). I whole heartedly agree with what you have said about full inclusion. Ohio has had it for many years and it is working fine. When you register in a deer you check off the type of weapon used so that the DOW knows harvest figures by weapon. Very simple.
Keep up the good fight HT.

Ohio farms, I do not at this time know if Wilmer is Retch or not, though it should not be too hard to check.
"
Besides testifying often for the WBH at legislative hearings, Kulas has administered the WBH’s Internet forums. He also contributes often to other online forums, writing under names such as “Rancid Crabtree” and “Retch Sweeney,” characters created by humorist Patrick McManus for stories in “Outdoor Life” and “Field & Stream” magazines."

I have not read these stories, but I am sure some people have.

As for crossbows, I too am for full inclusion everywhere, as we have here in Ohio. There are no conflicts of any kind. and the system work quite well.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:33 am

I am to the point of not caring about whether crossbows become legal or not. Really wish they would eliminate baiting my my counties. The worst part about this is how easy it will be to kill a 1.5 year old buck with a crossbow over bait

Can't control the neighbors. We need to shoot more does but they power of the horns are what matter to mine

I am sticking with my Matthews till I can pull it back anymore

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:56 pm

I think if they (DNR/Legislature) keep baiting legal statewide, then they (DNR/Legislature) should institute the One Buck rule (1 buck per hunter per year no matter the weapon).

This is a compromise, it wouldn't make everyone happy, but it would be giving something to each side in the fight. Baiting would still be legal for those that claim it's the only way they'll ever see a deer and the one buck rule protects half the population of young bucks that tend to come to bait sites during legal hunting hours.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:06 pm

Dan Salmon wrote:I think if they (DNR/Legislature) keep baiting legal statewide, then they (DNR/Legislature) should institute the One Buck rule (1 buck per hunter per year no matter the weapon).

This is a compromise, it wouldn't make everyone happy, but it would be giving something to each side in the fight. Baiting would still be legal for those that claim it's the only way they'll ever see a deer and the one buck rule protects half the population of young bucks that tend to come to bait sites during legal hunting hours.

that is what we have here in Ohio, and it has been that way for many years. it works fine. One buck per year, no matter how you take it, and depending where you hunt, 3-6 or so does. (plus nuisance permits for farmers when needed. (numbers to be allowed , determined by ODNR, on a case by case bases.)
Baiting is legal here, though there is no significant difference in the numbers taken over bait, and without bait. And you are NOT likely to ever take a mature buck over bait, they feed mostly at night, and only the younger deer tend to use bait piles. You ARE more likely to see and shoot deer, but not trophy deer.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Think about this

Last year there were a number of new CWD cases in WI and across the country for that matter

6 new counties have a new rule this year - No Baiting - because their county or their neighbor county had a CWD case.

8% of WI counties - this year - add to the counties new new no baiting laws

Come on man - CWD is going across the state. What the heck are we waiting for with keeping baiting? I kind of wish the the counties I hunt in would pop a CWD test just to get this over with

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:59 am

You're right. It's the one thing they are sure passes the disease, yet they continue to allow it for political reasons.

If and when you see CWD in every part of the state, the end of the tradition will be near.

Who in their right mind will eat diseased animals?

And for what? So a a group of hunters didn't need to go out into the woods prior to hunting season and scout out where the deer are moving?

What a waste.

hot tamale

Postby hot tamale » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:30 am

a little off topic but i don't overly care for baiting myself. I guess when you are hunting during daylight hours, you are usually hunting along a path that goes to or from feeding areas as deer don't just mill around aimlessly, they are always feeding and their wandering has a purpose.

I don't think that bait piles are a good thing. I feel they take most or all of the sport of hunting out of the "Fun" of hunting. The land owners that have food plots are no better in my eyes. just because it is planted and left, is still a bait pile and doesnt interest me as far as hunting over.

as far as hunting over a bait pile with a crossbow, it would be no different than hunting over a bait pile with a compound bow. the distances and effective ranges are as close and equal as they can be. there is no advantage of one over another.

I would be ok with the one buck thing as some folks seem to take advantage of the many tags available, but then complain there aren't enough deer out there. one deer, maybe two a year (until our numbers get way back up there) would be what I would vote for.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:12 pm

No comparison food plot to bait. I have done both and still do food plots. 16 acres last year and planning on 17 this. Making a new 1 acre in woods plot just for the deer - in their sancturary. Most likely will never hunt it. I do it for the health of the deer on my land and for enjoyment. Much better than a country club, trust me.

I quit baiting because it was too easy. It really isn't much of a sport when you get good at it. This is what I don't like about the new crossbow croud. I want to state this clearly - for those with disabilities and use a crossbow, I am not referring to you!!!! A bunch of the new crossbowers will be lazy hunters who don't want to put in much effort and just want to shoot something. In general, they will be more like the average gun hunter. A lot of small bucks will die - just watch. Some corn and a crossbow and I have a hunting plan. I did it and moved on to another stage

By the way, I rarely sit over a food plot. I take them one/one on trails and normal pathways. If I was baiting my property I probably would run 2-4 baits for different winds. I have close to 50 stands to cover my food plots.

For those who put these two (food plots and baiters) in the same category, my guess is you never developed a property and/or planted food plots. You are missing a fun part of the hunt. You watch, DMAP will encourage and teach food plotting. I bet my paycheck they don't teach baiting

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin