shed huntin trip

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Homunculi

shed huntin trip

Postby Homunculi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:51 pm

could not sleep monday morning and went out to some woods around my hunting area to shed hunt for the morning before having to be to work .
stopped got a coffee and made my way to the old dirt drive used my hat lights to through the honeysuckle and thorn bushes ..

found a tree and sat down till the sun came up listening to the birds and enjoy my coffee .. as light came through the woods the bird activity went nuts .. heard gobblers and hens yelping over in the valley on the back side of the property... finished my coffee looked around for a minute or two
.. looked over to my left and had two hens 10-12 feet away from me .. one pecking the ground the other staring at me .. they took turns doing this for a few minutes .. not making a noise just watching me watch them ... then just walked away ..

it was like having my shotty on a big gobbler in season ... i thought it was crazy ... so i sat there for a few more minutes got my coffee cup into my camo pack and took my time walking through looking for some sheds .. did not find any this time

but hell just having those ladies watch me was excitement enough and now i cannot wait for season to open .. and on my way to work this morning the old farmer down the road had a big gobbler in the field strutting away for some hens

is it season yet ?
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

croz2173

Re: shed huntin trip

Postby croz2173 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:03 pm

I've certainly had worse mornings, good way to start your day!

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Sounds like an enjoyable morning to me. Remember to watch for trail signs for deer as well. they are easier to see before everything starts growing hard and fast. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:03 pm

went backout this morning found this .... not much looks like the squirrels got to it a bit but hey i found it ... i heard gobblers all over but seen nothing this morning .... i need to get back out to see i was only able to cover 3 acres monday and today
Attachments
02.JPG
02.JPG (37.11 KiB) Viewed 950 times

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:52 pm

Homunculi wrote:could not sleep monday morning and went out to some woods around my hunting area to shed hunt for the morning before having to be to work .
stopped got a coffee and made my way to the old dirt drive used my hat lights to through the honeysuckle and thorn bushes ..

found a tree and sat down till the sun came up listening to the birds and enjoy my coffee .. as light came through the woods the bird activity went nuts .. heard gobblers and hens yelping over in the valley on the back side of the property... finished my coffee looked around for a minute or two
.. looked over to my left and had two hens 10-12 feet away from me .. one pecking the ground the other staring at me .. they took turns doing this for a few minutes .. not making a noise just watching me watch them ... then just walked away ..

it was like having my shotty on a big gobbler in season ... i thought it was crazy ... so i sat there for a few more minutes got my coffee cup into my camo pack and took my time walking through looking for some sheds .. did not find any this time

but hell just having those ladies watch me was excitement enough and now i cannot wait for season to open .. and on my way to work this morning the old farmer down the road had a big gobbler in the field strutting away for some hens

is it season yet ?

Nice read!

Season ends Sunday here :(
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:52 pm

Great Story and Congratulations on the nice Shed...! ;)

I've been walking our Farm (105 Acres) and haven't found any sheds at all...but I did get to see a nice Big Tom Turkey strutting for a Hen in our Food Plot saturday morning,then I had the same 2 on my trail camera this week also!Our Turkey Season started today (Mon,April 15) but I have to work and will get to Hunt this weekend if I decide to buy a Tag? :mrgreen:

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:17 am

1-GTOHunter wrote:Great Story and Congratulations on the nice Shed...! ;)

I've been walking our Farm (105 Acres) and haven't found any sheds at all...but I did get to see a nice Big Tom Turkey strutting for a Hen in our Food Plot saturday morning,then I had the same 2 on my trail camera this week also!Our Turkey Season started today (Mon,April 15) but I have to work and will get to Hunt this weekend if I decide to buy a Tag? :mrgreen:

105 acres ... wow my in-laws only have 10 and due to my work schedule i get out before light and get to walk around for an hour after light
some of the hills are very steep and hard to walk so it takes some time to get areas covered looking for sheds .. i am still in awe over the hens being so close while i was sitting by the tree..

i have been keeping out of there since i found the shed to leave the area alone so when thunder chicken season opens on the 22nd i hope they will be there :)

they put the property up for sale back in december so this spring could be the last season i will be hunting the property ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

stevenjackson

Postby stevenjackson » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:33 am

Homunculi wrote:went backout this morning found this .... not much looks like the squirrels got to it a bit but hey i found it ... i heard gobblers all over but seen nothing this morning .... i need to get back out to see i was only able to cover 3 acres monday and today
not bad

Return to General Discussions