wisconsin crossbow federation is gaining steam

Dan Salmon

Re: wisconsin crossbow federation is gaining steam

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:05 pm

That information 2.5 years ago would have changed the discussion. That being said, there are some interesting numbers being shown that I'm pretty sure no one has seen until now. Probably would have done them better to have released the numbers and analysis months ago rather than mere days before the meeting.

As it is, I think most people have already made up their minds one way or the other and and this looks like a last ditch effort to sway opinion. While this shows what has happened in one state, there are several others that show no such increase. You can argue the difference in regulations (One Buck rule, etc.) but until there is an actual study done that shows cause/effect relationships, most hunters will continue to believe what they feel is correct at a local level (many even with actual data that is contrary to their beliefs still won't believe what they are told.)

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:39 pm

question 66 full inclusion of crossbows- 2277 yes votes.....2479 no votes

question 67 separate crossbow license and season- 1263 yes votes......3395 no votes

here's the rest of the results

http://dnr.wi.gov/About/WCC/Documents/s ... esults.pdf

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:41 am

Just read the results. Yup once again the sportsmen of WI have rejected full inclusion of crossbows. Thats like a half dozen times in a row. Ouch!

I think lawmakers have all the info they need to determine if full inclusion is right for WI. :lol:

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Yeah, that's right, a complete refutation of crossbow inclusion. Keep the delusion in your mind. It will happen, every time it keeps coming up the numbers get closer. It's not going away, and people are starting to get tired of seeing it and are losing their resolve to deny it from happening.

The other thing that is happening in larger and larger numbers are people with no outdoor background running for Conservation Congress Delegate positions. Of the three that we're on the ballot in Kenosha County, 2 had never hunted or fished. One was a Political Science Major at the local college and the other was wearing the Howlingforwolves.com t-shirt. It's only a matter of time before our way of life goes the way of the dinosaurs.

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:39 am

If this is settled by the legislature this year with the compromise Ive read about its a done deal but think about this. I doubt any citizen wrote a resolution for full inclusion of crossbows in their county (since it was a statewide question already on the ballot)

That means full inclusion of crossbows wont show up as a state wide question until at least 2015 presuming somebody writes a county resolution that passes in their county in 2014.

As it stands, based on all the prior years rejections of full inclusion and this years rejection the CC has to maintain its opposition to full inclusion that its had for about 8 years.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:39 am

Then explain to me why this has been on the questionnaire for the past 8 years? It hasn't been brought up by citizens every year for the past 8, the CC has also kept it alive. The only way it goes away is if the public tires of it, some group pulls an end around of the CC or the legislature steps in where there really isn't a problem and makes it their problem.

I doubt that the legislature will do anything on their own, look at the reluctance to do anything with baiting in the state. However, they have been stepping into the CWD issue without really having any scientific backing or the backing of the DNR and making popularity changes to seasons and regulations, so it's anybody's guess as to what might be done.

Either way, the sportsmen and women will end up with the short end, that, you can take to the bank.

X Factor

Postby X Factor » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:47 am

Wilmer = Retch = Rancid :lol: Without a doubt, one in the same with the guy who poached the spike over bait and seeks to get baiting allowed in the CWD zone again. Says on another site that he owns multiple crossbows so it's easy to see why he's for this.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:50 am

X Factor wrote:Wilmer = Retch = Rancid :lol: Without a doubt, one in the same with the guy who poached the spike over bait and seeks to get baiting allowed in the CWD zone again. Says on another site that he owns multiple crossbows so it's easy to see why he's for this.

Sorry to disabuse you, but Retch is AGAINST full inclusion, and worked to shoot it down. I have debated him here about that very thing. As for retch and rancid being the same...correct. the jury is still out on Wilmer.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:32 pm

I still think 55 and older makes a lot of common sense and is a good compromise.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Madison now. Took the air out of the movement?

wilmer thrun

Postby wilmer thrun » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Dan Salmon wrote:Then explain to me why this has been on the questionnaire for the past 8 years?

You are very much mistaken. A review of the last 8 years of CC statewide spring booklets tells us that full inclusion of crossbows in the WI archery deer season has not been asked every year for the last 8 years. It was not asked last year. There were questions asked about allowing crossbows for bear and turkey and other gun season (what the lesser weapons bill ultimately created) but nothing about full inclusion in the archery deer season.

The full inclusion of crossbows in the archery deer season was asked statewide in 2011 and failed.

Full inclusion of crossbow in the archery deer season was not asked statewide in 2010

Full inclusion of crossbow in the archery deer season was not asked statewide in 2009

Full inclusion of crossbow in the archery deer season was not asked statewide in 2008

It was asked statewide in 2007 and was again defeated.

Full inclusion of crossbow in the archery deer season was not asked statewide in 2006

It was asked statewide in 2005 and was again defeated.

That’s the last nine years. I don’t know where you are getting your data but you got some bad info. I don’t expect that you will believe me so I am linking the last 8 years for your review.

http://dnr.wi.gov/About/WCC/springhearing.html

Dan Salmon wrote: It hasn't been brought up by citizens every year for the past 8, the CC has also kept it alive.

Again you are quite wrong. In 2011 the CC was worried about its future with act 21 and the Governor and it feared for its own existence and they desperately needed to fill the seats of the spring hearings so the Big Game committee manufactured a crossbow question not born of a citizen resolution strictly to generate controversy in an attempt to boost attendance. It didn’t work and the question was shot down.

Dan Salmon wrote: The only way it goes away is if the public tires of it

We are at that point already. The public grows weary of the queation.

Dan Salmon wrote: or some group pulls an end around of the CC or the legislature steps in where there really isn't a problem and makes it their problem.

We have a winner. Look for this to be resolved by the legislature this year in a fantastic manner that puts this to bed once and for all and it wont include full inclusion of crossbows in the archery deer season. It will be part 2 of the lesser weapons bill that very cleverly (and was missed by the majority too concerned with other points in the bill to notice the big fish). Last year for the first time in WI, the statutory definition of what is a bow and what is a crossbow was passed into law. Prior to that, it was a DNR definition and up to them. Now it’s a matter for the legislature and out of the hands of the DNR (brilliant) The next phase is the solution to this squabble that puts an end to this. (more on that in the coming months)

Dan Salmon wrote: I doubt that the legislature will do anything on their own

If you care to make a wager I will gladly do so. Look for the solution before the fall.

Dan Salmon wrote: so it's anybody's guess as to what might be done.

I can assure you its not a guess.

Dan Salmon wrote: Either way, the sportsmen and women will end up with the short end, that, you can take to the bank.

Not at all, there is a well worded and fantastic solution to this whining and complaining by the crossbowers. Soon they will fall silent (its about time too)

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin