Postby Dan Salmon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:17 pm

How are you Ron?

Cat's out of the bag.

Dan Salmon

Re: wisconsin crossbow federation is gaining steam

Postby Dan Salmon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:45 pm

wilmer thrun wrote:
Dan Salmon wrote:
Dan Salmon wrote: or some group pulls an end around of the CC or the legislature steps in where there really isn't a problem and makes it their problem.

We have a winner. Look for this to be resolved by the legislature this year in a fantastic manner that puts this to bed once and for all and it wont include full inclusion of crossbows in the archery deer season. It will be part 2 of the lesser weapons bill that very cleverly (and was missed by the majority too concerned with other points in the bill to notice the big fish). Last year for the first time in WI, the statutory definition of what is a bow and what is a crossbow was passed into law. Prior to that, it was a DNR definition and up to them. Now it’s a matter for the legislature and out of the hands of the DNR (brilliant) The next phase is the solution to this squabble that puts an end to this. (more on that in the coming months)

Dan Salmon wrote: I doubt that the legislature will do anything on their own

If you care to make a wager I will gladly do so. Look for the solution before the fall.

Dan Salmon wrote: so it's anybody's guess as to what might be done.

I can assure you its not a guess.

Dan Salmon wrote: Either way, the sportsmen and women will end up with the short end, that, you can take to the bank.

Not at all, there is a well worded and fantastic solution to this whining and complaining by the crossbowers. Soon they will fall silent (its about time too)

And there folks is another fine showing of how "representative" government in the State of Wisconsin works.

BCD

Postby BCD » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Defnitely Ron. Spewing bad information as usual

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:23 pm

BCD wrote:Defnitely Ron. Spewing bad information as usual

it is highly likely,but not proven.
He writes with similar skill and techniques, and the name is consistent with the types of names Retch and Rancid were based upon (characters from a magazine.i have not read) Political bent is the same, but this one is slightly more polite,
It would be a shame to run someone off for the sins of another though. I will not treat this man as a law breaker, until i know for sure. (You may note, he has not said yes or no to the question, himself.) So I will ask the question directly.

Wilmer Thrun, are you the same man who has used both retch and Rancid on this site? :|
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

X Factor

Postby X Factor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:42 pm

"Wilmer Thrun, are you the same man who has used both retch and Rancid on this site? :|"

Absolutely. Positively.

And he is on other web sites stating tracking crossbows separately is actually a win for what he calls real bowhunters. The truth is, if crossbows for all is coming soon, crossbow fans will finally be able to hunt deer during prime time. Of course some we're doing that anyway on their own land already, but Wilmer might not know that.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:50 pm

bullwinkle wrote:Casey - I want you as a neighbor

Kellory - if you are really as good as you say, you are clearly an exception. There is no way most of the people attracted to this new law will be as saavy as you

Richard - fully support lowering the age to 55. Your situation is completely acceptable and respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsqrlaIef2o
bullwinkle, this is not me, but this kind of stuff is what I'm talking about. Going primitive, just to prove if it is possible. This is why I went after rabbits with a spear, or deer with a bootlace and a bent stick. To prove it can be done. There are huge advances in bow tech, and razorheads, electronics to gauge the exact yardage, luminous sights, and special releases, and yet even a stone tipped reed fired from a crude bow, is clearly lethal, So the equipment clearly is not where the hunt resides. The hunt is within the hunter, no matter what tool he uses. Bow, crossbow, or gun, the hunt begins and ends with the hunter.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:20 pm

What makes bow hunting attractive is the chase not the kill. I choose to bow hunt because of the challenge. If we just want to kill deer, let's just use guns. That's's ok, but let's call it like it is. A crossbow is closer to a gun than a bow, period

The reason Retch wants crossbows is because he can make money at his shop and the violator in him knows he can get his spike over bait very easily. The new red dot scopes will actually help him shoot them at night. Pretty cool, pretty easy but at the same time very shameful

I know Retch might be in the 20% of slob hunters but let's call it like it is. The loudest group wanting crossbows don't want them for a challenge, they want to kill deer easily. That's ok, buy why stop with crosbows, let's just go rifles from Sept-Jan like they do in Southern states.

Old folks and disabled should have easy access to crossbow - they have a challenge. Frankly it would take me one sit to fill my tag wiith a crossbow and pile of corn. I am effective to 60 yards and have only shot them twice. This is what my neighbors will do and the quality of the deer in our neighborhood will decline

I am for corssbows age 55 and older - they are mature enough to handle this weapon - Retch isnt

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:55 pm

Bullwinkle, your bias is showing. You are anti-retch, not anti-crossbow.
Retch is AGAINST FULL INCLUSION, He is a purist, he hunts with a recurve. His father hunts with a crossbow, and retch has done so, and has tested them, but he does NOT want to allow anyone to use them for deer in bow season. Go back and read his posts, read the debate we had. You are spouting nonsense. :(
He has FOUGHT the inclusion of crossbow.in bow season, He has spoken out AGAINST crossbow inclusion in political meetings (read the articles) he want them to be used in gun season only (for deer). and for small game.

As for the quality of your deer, I disagree. We are limited to one buck, no matter how we take it. per year. So the weapon matters little to the harvest. And I would never take a 60yd shot at an animal with a crossbow. I KNOW the effective range of my crossbow, (by factory specs, which are always a bit hopeful) is 45yards, not 60yds. And because I am a careful hunter, I hunt within my effective range, or wait for a better shot. Your neighbors might not, but if that is the case, they will push the limits of common sense with a bow as well. I can hit targets at 70yards with a bow (Not a crossbow) with reasonable accuracy, but not good enough to risk a shot at an animal, so I don't. i would do no differently with a crossbow. I know about 70yd bowshots, because that is the maximum distance available at the archery range alongside the L.A. River, where I used to practice with friends. I would not take a 70yd shot at a deer, because there are too many ways to simply wound, and not kill that animal. But I COULD make that shot, and so might your neighbors. So again, the weapon matters little. what matters, is what kind of hunter are they, not what weapon they are using. They could get their wall hanger with anti-freeze, if that was the type of hunter they chose to be. The hunt is in the mind, not the tool.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:32 am

Maybe I am wrong on Retch - I thought I read somewhere he flip/flopped on crossbow because he owns an archery shop and saw $$$$

Yes I don't respect Retch -

Yes we get one tag, you are right on that. I am more anti-baiting than crossbow. You seem to like the chase and not the kill Kellory, I think you are not seeing the population of hunters that will be attracted to bow season with crossbows and bait piles.

If you are 55 you most likely are at the sportman stage of a hunter. No issue here with me and using a crossbow.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:48 am

Bullwinkle,

I think you are getting Retch and Kazmerski from the NRB mixed up. Kaz was appointed by Walker to the NRB, owns a bow shop in Waukesha and was/is a member of WBH.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin