bullwinkle

Re: wisconsin crossbow federation is gaining steam

Postby bullwinkle » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:32 am

Thanks Dan

Sorry Retch - you didn't deserve some of my pokes at you

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:00 am

bullwinkle wrote:Maybe I am wrong on Retch - I thought I read somewhere he flip/flopped on crossbow because he owns an archery shop and saw $$$$

Yes I don't respect Retch -

Yes we get one tag, you are right on that. I am more anti-baiting than crossbow. You seem to like the chase and not the kill Kellory, I think you are not seeing the population of hunters that will be attracted to bow season with crossbows and bait piles.

If you are 55 you most likely are at the sportman stage of a hunter. No issue here with me and using a crossbow.

Glad that is cleared up. I will be 50 come next bow season. And I detailed on this site, why I made that choice of hunting crossbow. It has nothing to do with more range, it is more lethal. In short, I hit a doe who jumped the string, and by some wild gymnastics, and a full barrel roll, she intercepted my recurve driven arrow with her head, and it failed to penetrate enough to do any good. i tracked her for many hours, and many miles trying to finish the job, but she went on property where I could not go. There, she will have died slowly and in pain from the wound I gave her. Never again. If I take a head shot now, by chance or intent, it is fatal, everytime. Once I fire, or loose that arrow, or take that shot, I am responsible to follow through, and finish the job, even if that means it wrecks the rest of my hunt. That is just the way I was raised, you don't shoot unless you will eat it, you don't waste it, and you don't let it suffer.I owe that animal as clean a death, as I can manage.
As a Boy Scout (in full uniform, mind you) I saw a duck hunter leave the woods and walk to his car, and drop a string of ducks in a trashcan as he passed. You would not have believed the look on his face as a child, read him the riot act, calling him a scoundrel and a fool. It was loud and very public, as there were many people about (it was a state park I think) It never even occurred to me at the time, even though I had been a hunter myself for several years, that he was armed. It didn't register, I was so outraged. i was raised "waste not, want not" it is the difference of Right and Wrong, not how much challenge there is to it. The only thing i will shoot without eating it are predators,(yotes, ect) and I am working on an idea to tan the hides and use them for a rug for my hunting cabin, if I can get rid of the stink. We will see. So, NO, it is not a phase of my hunting career, it is a way of life. If you are willing to shoot it, make sure you don't waste it.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:24 am

Pretty cool story Kellory on the ducks. We have a rule in our family - ya shoot it you eat it

Before you jump from recurve to x-bow think about a compound

This year I took a 5x7 elk at 35 yards, 9ptr in WI at 32 yards, 350lb black bear at 18 yards, Texas doe at 25 yards, Texas 8ptr at 28 yards and two coyotes (one at 25 yards and the other 35 yards). Not a single miss, all quick clean kills

Compounds can be very effective if you practice. I am close to your age - no need for a x-bow yet.

BCD

Postby BCD » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:28 am

?

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:06 pm

I did shoot my bear over bait. It was a social hunt with my boys and close friends. Also my least memoriable hunt all year - the adventure was the Canadian trip and being with my sons

Here is my story - The bear came in to the bait, it was huge, I shot it. It ran about 50 yards and started its death moan.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:48 pm

bullwinkle wrote:Pretty cool story Kellory on the ducks. We have a rule in our family - ya shoot it you eat it

Before you jump from recurve to x-bow think about a compound

This year I took a 5x7 elk at 35 yards, 9ptr in WI at 32 yards, 350lb black bear at 18 yards, Texas doe at 25 yards, Texas 8ptr at 28 yards and two coyotes (one at 25 yards and the other 35 yards). Not a single miss, all quick clean kills

Compounds can be very effective if you practice. I am close to your age - no need for a x-bow yet.

i did not jump from a recurve to a crossbow I started with the recurve I recently gave to Sierra"s daughter, with that bow I tested out of P.E. in school with a robinhood. (the range was only 20yds. what hunter could miss?) as a result, on my 16th Birthday i received the Indian Stalker compound I still use to this day.I use this bow when stalking, or hunting light, crossbows are heavy and awkward when stalking. I'm quite sure my range time with it is comparable to your own.I hunt with both, depending upon the type of hunt, but mostly with the crossbow. It is the surer weapon.It makes two clear holes in any deer I hit, whereas the bow does not.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to Wisconsin