first one down

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
charlie 01

Re: first one down

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:31 am

Get yourself a hand sling, so you don't have to grip it that hard. If you do, get the one that is double-wide braided. It holds its form for easy access for your hand. It can eliminate problems.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks Charlie...it's just that I hold my bow...I have so many tree stands that I don't use a bow holder...once I climb and hook in...... the bow gets pulled up and I don't move again.....My hand gets so use to gripping the bow while sitting I sometimes forget I'm still doing it...that's why as a buck/doe fever reducer one of the three things I normally say at a shot is..." bend at waist....don't grip and this is your only shot''
The miss on the first doe...I believe was due to the knock pulling away from the arrow at the shot...noticed the arrow I retrieved had no knock ....dang didn't notice when I retrieved it or until the next day when I went to replace the broad head :oops: ....All knocks on all arrows have been filed down...would hate to loose a nice buck to a dumb rookie mistake ;)
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:53 pm

msbadger wrote:Thanks Charlie...it's just that I hold my bow...I have so many tree stands that I don't use a bow holder.

I'm not talking about a bow holder. I'm talking about a wrist sling, It attaches to your bow in front and circles the bow at the lower part of the handle, you slip your hand up in it and grip the handle so even if you loosen your grip on the handle, the bow will still be in your hand and still in control. It is designed to correct twisting and problems with tight grip shooters. I've used them for years to correct that very same problem. They are ajustable. There are several kinds. Like I stated before, the double braided I find the best. It holds it's shape for easy and fast hand access.They are in both Bass Pro and Cabela's.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:54 am

Hey Badgie, I also do not use a bow hanger when I hunt. I do my best to get comfortable with my bow sitting in my lap and my hand on the grip. It works great for me when it's warm, but I don't like to shoot with gloves on. It just feels different... But I bought a bow sling at the IL Deer and Turkey Expo the last time they were in Bloomington. It works well to carry your bow into the woods with, but I've begun to keep it on as I sit. I shift it around so that the hooks hold the weight of the bow as it rests against my belly/lap. i've got it adjusted so that when i pick up the bow the sling stays tight to my body and not in the way of the shot... it works great for me. I can also keep my hands in my pockets or a muff with a hand warmer so I don't get stiff fingers...

The website is www.stringsling.com if you wanna check them out
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:25 pm

Thank you Charlie...I did understand what you meant...I actually have a braided leather one ...someplace .......never got fond of it...I normally just float the bow in the crotch of my thumb and index finger holding my fingers straight out at the shot
I was just explaining why I can forget I'm "holding/gripping " the bow......especially on long sits or or unexpected delays before drawing..unlike when one has to reach up and unhook the bow to shoot when using a bow hanger

Thanks Deebz....I usually hold mine straight up to break my out line...in these hills know matter how high I sit ...I'm dang near eye level with something on one side or onther....lol....I have a bow holder that I snap to my belt for the longer walks in...but will have to buy a different one...the new bows cams are too big for a proper fit ....figures
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:38 am

right on... I have a couple of stands where I end up eye level with deer 20 yards away following the ridge... I think it's pretty cool to have that vantage point... I can see why you'd want to hold your bow vertical to reduce movement and your outline...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

stevenjackson

Postby stevenjackson » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:40 am

nice, looks exactly like my bow!

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:03 am

Interesting sling there, deebz. Not too bad on cost either, though easy to make. I think I will craft one of my own. Thanks for the idea. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:07 pm

This past season I even started wrapping up my heavy outer layer with a bungee cord, then hooking the sling to the bungee to carry the outer layer in. Lots quieter than a big bag, and much less to stow away in the tree or on the ground when i get to my stand...

Previous

Return to Photo Corner