Off-season analysis

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

Off-season analysis

Postby JPH » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:52 pm

I am curious to know how everyone held up physicaly this past season and if anyone is planning to make changes between now and the next deer opener.

In the months leading up to the 2012 deer season I was doing more raw strength work. I spent a lot of time driving up my performance in the major lifts and I was about 10 lbs heavier than usual. I was doing this based on a personal assessment of my performance at work. I did not know how it might impact my hunting season, which typically involves a steep drop off in workout time, sleep deprivation and diet changes. In the past this has lead to weight loss, illness and injury. Well I am happy to share that this was one of the healthiest seasons in my memory!

In hindsight it makes sense. Soldiers preparing for elite selection and training programs often attempt to lay on muscle and even fat in preperation. While Midwestern deer hunting is a far cry from Ranger School, I think the same principals may apply. If you know you are going into a period of physical attrition, you are wise to go into it as big and strong as possible. Of course this is assuming that you start out with a decent base level of fitness.

I think I'll mix things up with general fitness during the spring and summer, but start hitting heavy weights again in August.

How about you?

Sierra

Re: Off-season analysis

Postby Sierra » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:58 am

Well this past season I was battling with the smoking issue. I feel I held up ok during hunting, but I know being in better shape is a good goal for more than just hunting. I got the smoking thing done finally! Now I need to address my weight. I did put on some pounds through the quit smoking process, so I am participating in Weight Watchers at work.
The biggest thing for me will really be working on cardio, since my poor lungs need to recover from the abuse of smoking, but I do want to add a basic weight routine.
I think my goal is going to be adding small changes in steps. For example, I have a bad back so a strong core is important. Just by sitting on my fitness ball at work instead of my chair will help in that department. Healthy eating and watching portions, and if I am really hungry upping portion sizes by adding veggies, that's a big step. But biggest of all will be getting out the door to exercise. I need to find the motivation to go before work if possible, which means earlier to bed and up with time to get going. I have a dog that would love to be walked, so I need to do that instead of just letting him out the back door and throwing the frisbee for him. If the weather is bad, I have a treadmill that really needs to not be a laundry rack anymore.
On a final note, I do need to get my weight back down regardless... I have a wedding dress in my closet that needs to fit in a few months! :-)
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:25 am

Awesome Sierra! Congratulations on your pending nuptials!

A little unsolicited advice. Feel free to ignore it. You core strength and back problems may benefit from performing this 5 minute circuit daily viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5319 As for weight loss. I'd suggest an increase in fruits and veggies as well as eliminating any foods that get more than 1/3 of their calories from fat. Simple steps are often the most effective.

aclemons

Postby aclemons » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:36 am

This is a great topic.

Early last year I began walking, advancing to jogging, to the point of four or five miles a day. Tried to not miss a day. Even ran two 5K races in October and felt great going into the season.

Then the holidays hit and I not only fell off the wagon but fell hard. Like, into a pothole and run over by the rest of wagon train. Today I started with some stretching and diet changes, and will be walking later this afternoon, to get back into the routine. Looking for weight loss, stamina and core work, but mostly to feel comfortable and sleep better. Sleep is a critical part that too many folks overlook.

Would you guys like to see some health-related info in Deer & Deer Hunting, maybe an occasional Q&A segment or something? We're always interested trying to do new and interesting things, and although we can't always make everyone 100% happy we do want to hear ideas.

Great topic, again. I hope it continues with some other good suggestions, and good luck to everyone this off-season.

Alan Clemons
Managing Editor
Deer & Deer Hunting

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Alan, I can really relate to that hard fall from the wagon! The older we get, the easier we fall out of shape and the slower it is getting it back. I always hit a wall during deer season and have to begin the slow climb back in the winter.

I think a heath and fitness segment in D&DH is long overdue. I am of the opinion that this is the most overlooked aspect of hunter safety AND success. Not only will we see more deer seasons if we stay healthy, all the food plots, high-end bows, clothing, scents, stands and scouting cameras won't do us a bit of good if we are too poorly conditioned to get in the woods and stay there.

aclemons

Postby aclemons » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:26 pm

I'll talk with Dan about it and we'll kick around some ideas. Thanks for the input!

HuntingFool94

Postby HuntingFool94 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:22 pm

My wife and hunting partner came down with spinal cancer last year - she was doing research and came across the book anticancer - it has changed both our lives - I am a computer slave and don't get a lot of time for exercise but I have lost 20 lbs following this advice - www.anticancerbook.com. Cut out bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, artificial sugars and eat more salads and lean meat (which of course adds to our hunting adventures - shooting hogs, buffalo, elk, deer, pheasants) - I no longer buy meat at grocery - just occasional fish and seafood. My wife has lost 30 lbs all while being pretty much sedentary during the recovery process - this eating regimen will help cure/prevent cancer and also deal with weight issues. Our neighbor also had breast cancer and was struggling getting results from Chemo treatment - she read the book and cut all the artificial sugar out of her diet and got tremendous improvement.
"don't stink, don't move, don't make noise"

richdevlin761

Postby richdevlin761 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:19 am

Would you guys like to see some health-related info in Deer & Deer Hunting, maybe an occasional Q&A segment or something? We're always interested trying to do new and interesting things, and although we can't always make everyone 100% happy we do want to hear ideas.

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness