New Huntef Need Help?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Msmithe21

New Huntef Need Help?

Postby Msmithe21 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:54 am

Hey Guys, I am a new member to this forum and also am a new hutner. I am looknig for somewhat of a deer hunting 101 kinda thing. If it helps I am from New hampshire. I will be hunting with a bow. I own 4 acres of land mostly woods. Any beginner guides or facts or anything really will help so post anything you might think would be helpful I am really looking for feedback.

Thanks
-Mike

Sailfish

Re: New Huntef Need Help?

Postby Sailfish » Wed May 08, 2013 7:44 am

Does NH have a hunter safety type course you can take?
Being new, i'd put that as a #1 step for you .
Once your there, you will meet alot of people, often times the wildlife officers will be present, good info can be found at them.
Another place is look for 3D shoots. A quick yahoo search will find stuff for you.
Find a local mom and pop archery shop as well.
You have a family member, aunt/uncle/cousin who may also get you started?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed May 08, 2013 10:25 am

Sailfish hit the nail on the head... Find some people who already hunt and get to know them. You already have a place to hunt, so it should be easier to make friends. It's hard to get into hunting when you have to get invited to other peoples' spots.

Secondly, shoot as much as you can. The 3D shoots and any archery ranges are also great advice for getting that done.

Thirdly, try not to buy into the hype of the industry too much. Start small. A bow, 1 or 2 stands, clothes to keep you warm. If you start worrying about what all the "pros" are using or wearing, you're going to go broke really quickly. I think most of the guys on the forum here will agree that most of that stuff is unnecessary anyway.

Lastly, don't get discouraged! Killing a deer with a bow is not an easy task. Be prepared to sit for long hours and not see anything. You should also be prepared for a monster buck to pop up out of nowhere 10 yards away when you've convinced yourself that you aren't going to see anything that day... :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Msmithe21

Postby Msmithe21 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks guys I am taking a bowhunters safety course in a week. A couple of my friends hunt and I've read a decent ammount and have gone scouting a good ammount. My uncle hunts aswell and I've learned a few things from him do you think overall experience is best though?? Just going out in the woods itself and finding deer sign and scouting and shooting as much as possible would be my best option??

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed May 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Msmithe21,
What are you reading? There are some good books that should be perfect for you. For starters, go to the Hunting Store on the link above and start looking around. If something strikes you, come back and ask if anyone has read it and can recommend it.

Steve.
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed May 08, 2013 4:54 pm

Good answers all the way around. Welcome to the forum, I see you are in good hands already. ;)

Part of that safety course will include the rule book for your area, and learning what is allowed, and what is not. You will also learn there are products made that would get you fined, or jailed if you used them. Case in point: they make razorheads with a laser build into the head to assist in aiming. The are not legal here (Ohio) for the same reason it is illegal to add a light or projecting beam to any type of bow here.(low light poaching of deer, before or after legal hunting times).
Your area may allow or ban "baiting" while allowing food plots.

If your laws are anything like mine, you will need written permission to pursue a wounded or dead deer onto someone else's property. (even if it is just a few feet). Get to know the neighbors ahead of time, and get that written permission slip in your wallet now, so you do not run into a problem later. You hunt a small property so this WILL come into play. Even a heart shot deer, can run a hundred yards, jump a fence, charge down hill into a pond. (Mine have.) ;)

Be clean and as scent free as you can be, but do not waste your money on things like "scent-lok" (their claims are.... exaggerated at best). And always hunt the wind. Do not let the wind waft your scent into the area you are set up to hunt. It is said that a deer has a nose 7 times better than a bloodhound, He can tell what you had for breakfast....last month.

He can not see as clearly in daylight as you do, and can not see "reds". His eyes are not structured that way, but he can see more into the ultraviolet than you can, so even Camo shows up better for him. So wash your clothes in soaps that do not include "Brighteners" or "ultraviolet enhancers". these keep colors bright and crisp, which is the last thing you want camo to do.

No matter how well camoed, or scent free you are, movement will give you away faster than anything else. Be quiet in sound and movement.

And Deebz is right about gear, there are hundreds of things you could buy, and many suckers will. Some people feel they need the very newest and best bows, and gear, to be successful. Not true. Even a bent stick and a bootlace will do the job, if needs must, So I would suggest you spend much less, by going used, second hand, and hand-me-down. I've carried my Grandfather's guns, and the same bow for more than 30years, and my deer are just as dead. ;) save your money for where it matters.

There is a search box in the top left of each forum section, that will allow you to easy answers to your questions, and what has been discussed before. You may also send private messages to anyone, from your profile page. Feel free to ask questions, That's is why we are here. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Msmithe21

Postby Msmithe21 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:08 pm

I've read a lot of online material mostly. I haven't really read much books just guides and forum websites on the internet also word of mouth from friends. I do a decent amount of scouting in the woods every week to understand what deer sign looks like and where I might put some deer stands for the upcoming season in September. I have some basic knowledge of determining sign like deer scat usually means a feeding area or an area of comfort if theres thick cover near it it may be a bedding area where as if there is a lot of acorns or beechnuts it is probably a food source. I have an idea of what I should be hunting and that is travel routes or pinch points of where deer may cross to get to these 2 areas. Also I no that rubs on trees means a buck near by and a bunch of rubs usually means a travel way a buck goes. I also know that getting into and out of a stand site is important along with wind factor and scent control and the tree itself. Where I am a little shy in is where I can hunt or what determines a good place to hunt. Also what kinda trees or areas I should setup in, because I no as a bow hunter you wanna be as close to the deer as possible without spooking or causing disturbance.While as hunting with a rifle you gain more distance so overlooking big areas for deer is what your goal should be somewhat. If anyone can also cover some more main points I should probably know about that be a big help I am just looking for all the most important info I can get right now as this will be my first season coming up. Also some gear tips or a list of what I should get to start off would be good as I already have my bow arrows and release.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu May 09, 2013 2:28 pm

I guess a good start is scouting. Locate trails heading to feeding areas and bedding areas. Find some good trails. Spend this summer scanning fields in your area and see where the deer are feeding either by shining with a spotlight or setting up a trail camera. More to come later.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri May 10, 2013 2:14 am

Okay, back again. Rubs on trees don't necessarily mean a buck is nearby. They just tell you a buck was once there. Its a good indicator that bucks are in your area, but maybe not nearby. I set up in trees that break up my outline as best as possible. I like trees with alot of thick branches. Stand height really isn't to important as long as you can break up your outline and can stand still without tipping off deer by moving around. Also consider stand height and your ability to have clear shooting lanes. For example. if you are hunting over cattails, I would want enough height to be able to see over the cattails and not be spotted by deer and have a clear line shot without anything in the way of the arrow path. Now is the time to pick your trees to set up in next season and trim any branches and limbs that might get in your way of a shot. Be conservative about cutting branches, as I mentioned, they may be good for breaking up your outline. As for wind, its very important. Buying fancy clothes that claim to eliminate scent is no magical solution either. Its common sense. If you are in a stand and the wind is blowing toward where you are expecting to see deer approach from, then you will probably not gonna have good hunt. It may take some time to figure out how deer use the wind in your area thru trial and error. I been hunting for two decades and I still really don't have a solid understanding on wind and thermals and how they work. You will get busted every season. I get busted many times every season, and there are hunts deer do not notice me at all. I try my best to hunt according to the wind and sometimes it will not play in your favor. Mother Nature can suck sometimes. :)
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri May 10, 2013 4:35 am

Welcome!

Sorry I was late getting to this shindig. I've been turkey hunting, and then things got busy at work.

First off, remember there is a place where the deer eat and where they sleep and there is a fairly direct line between them (in a deer's way of looking at things). You will be doing your hunting somewhere on that line.

Second, before you go asking for a bunch of advice on how to hunt deer, go find some deer and watch them. It will cut YEARS off your learning. Go find a nearby park or cemetery or farm and watch deer. When they're not there, get out and observe where they've been. Back when I was just getting started, I had a fellow tell me that he could tell if a single deer had wandered through a patch of dead leaves on the ground. I asked him out he knew. He told me that I'd figure it out for myself. Today, I can tell you if a deer has been walking through fresh-fallen leaves. Don't ask me how I figured it out.

Gotta go. I'll write more later.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to General Discussions