New Huntef Need Help?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Deebz

Re: New Huntef Need Help?

Postby Deebz » Tue May 14, 2013 4:51 pm

I'd suggest to get out and scout your property enough that you feel comfortable knowing where you are and hopefully where deer are. Try to avoid going often enough that the deer would pattern you, and it helps to make sure you stay out of there at least a few weeks before season opener. You should have your stands hung and ready to go with shooting lanes cut and any type of path to approach chosen as well. You don't want to be trying to hang stands and spread a bunch of scent around right before the opener.

As far as multiple properties, it really depends on the individual and the amount of either luck or money they have. I have 1 small parcel I bowhunt, and I get invited to a larger farm for shotgun season. If you have the ability to access several properties, do so! Try to get stands hung to take advantage of all the different wind conditions. ex: have a stand on both properties to hunt if the wind is out of the west (and likewise for all wind conditions, assuming you have enough stands). That way you aren't limited to only 1 stand per wind condition.

As to your question about hunting locally, I don't recall where you live, but check out state parks and public ground. If you spend enough time and effort, they can really pay off big time for putting meat in the freezer. I know a couple of guys who have even killed some bruiser bucks on public ground.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Msmithe21

Postby Msmithe21 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:26 pm

My friend has been giving me some lessons and all these past few weeks. His brother is pretty good at hunting he takes about a deer every year and has gotten some big bucks biggest being a 9 pointer. I was talking to his brother the other day and asked about scouting and he said he usually spends a good portion or almost all of the month of august scouting because of the fact you get the freshest sign. In his off season though he uses a trail camera to monitor a lot of the area he hunts to keep track with the property. I think I am going to do the same and scout a lot in august and practice more shooting and building my gear for this upcoming season. He also has told me hunting is all about being patient and a lot of patterning deer just comes from being out there on your hunts and hes been hunting since he was 8 years old and hes still learning new things. All in all its just all bout being in the woods.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed May 15, 2013 7:33 am

"All in all it's just about being in the woods"

Take that to heart... for many hunters, that is what it's all about. I know a lot of people hunt out of a need to fill the freezer, but aside from that the real reason a lot of us spend the time, money, and energy is simply just to get out in the woods.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:18 am

One of the best times to start scouting a new area, is right now. The deer aren't being pressured, and while farmers are planting, the deer are getting accustomed to farm equipment. It's not a bad time to sit in a tree and study movement, then as the summer progresses watch the travel corridors as they approach the feeding and watering areas from the bedding areas. A couple of trail cameras are a good investment, plus looking at the pictures can be as addictive as actually hunting!!!!!!! You can actually begin to recognize individual deer, both bucks and does, which helps identify the older does that are no longer breeding and producing. These are deer that you definitely want to kill and get our of the herd, since they only end up eating what the more productive animals will need. You can also begin to age your bucks by studying the pictures and seeing how well their bodies are developed, remember that antler growth and age don't necessarily mean the same thing. I've killed a lot of old bucks that were cow horns, or big spikes, or even odd antlers such as a spike or two points on one side, and maybe three or more on the other side. Some of these may be declining with age, and others may be poor genetics.

I still hunt my little 78 acres, every week day of the season, and usually sit in any one of 4 or 5 permanently located stands. I've killed deer out of the same stand on consecutive days, and even on the same day, so a lot depends on the food sources, travel routes, and stand locations as well as behavioral patterns.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu May 16, 2013 12:18 pm

I agree with rtthomas. Scout now if you can. In my opinion, scouting in August is too close to the season and you really don't want to pollute your area being that close to season opener. The only fresh sign you might find in August are some scrapes on field edges and that just tells you bucks are in that area during the night, and maybe a few trails.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu May 16, 2013 4:44 pm

I also agree, scout now, and several other times between now and season. One reason is this.....those deer are going to smell you in the area. that is a given. It is said that a deer has a nose seven times better than a blood hound, it is his primary defense. But he is not very bright. As you are scouting, planting food plots, salt or mineral licks, clearing shooting lanes, and hanging stands, you are leaving scent behind. There is no real way around that, (unless you want to do all this inside a hasmat suit)
And though you might bump a few deer while being there, you are not scaring/harming/hunting them. and you are not much of a threat. If your scent were only there during the hunt, you would clearly put them on alert, simply because it is new to them. If on the other hand, your scent has been associated with food plots, or tasty treats, or just as something local without threat, You are less likely to spook them during hunting season.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Msmithe21

Postby Msmithe21 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:50 am

Thanks for the help I am wondering do any of you guys try and still hunt with your bows? If you have them. Also for gear I figured I am gonna get a Hunting Pack, Hunting Jacket, Hunting Overalls, Hunting Cap, Hunting Facemask, Hunting Gloves, and Boots I figure this covers the basics for what I might need to get the job done. Also I figured 1 ladder stand would suffice for now along the lines I plan on getting another one probably. Looknig for some input on that gear choice

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri May 17, 2013 10:08 am

Yes , still hunting is the norm with bow hunting. Though some guys like woodswalker will stalk deer with a ghillie suit. Give some thought also to what you need to do if you get a deer. Learn how to gut a deer correctly. (YouTube bids in plenty on this) you will need to gut the deer quickly before you transport it, to let the meat cool as quickly as you can to prevent spoilage. A good gutting/skinning knife would be a big help.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:14 am

Don't overlook portable ground blinds. They are light, easy to pack, and easy to set up. I always set mine up a few days or even weeks before I plan to hunt out of it, and also brush it in. Even if you don't use anything but some type of camo cloth and stretch it around a couple of trees, once the deer get used to it, it'll work. I don't bow hunt, so I can't offer much advice on that aspect, but I do hunt out of ladder stands, tree stands, tower blinds, and shooting houses as well as ground blinds with my rifles; plus I hunt with shotguns when I'm running deer with dogs in the swamps down here. I don't invest in expensive camo, and often buy whatever is on sale, including military surplus and off brand clothes. I do suggest investing in a good comfortable pair of boots and depending on where you live, some good long johns along the lines of under armor, or something similar, as well as a nice warm hat and a face mask and gloves. Plus, a ThermaCELL is an invaluable and indispensable early season item ( and comes in handy during summertime scouting)!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, since I hunt on my own land when still hunting, and on club land with the dogs, I have never field dressed a deer in my life. I've always had access to a skinning shed or skinning tree, and for the last 20 or so years, a walk-in cooler.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sat May 18, 2013 3:41 pm

I like the Natural Gear Camo,it's simple and blends in well in many Areas and Seasons,my choice of Boots would be the rubber Sole Muck Boots,I'm wearing the "Chore" brand and they are shorter height and they keep my feet nice and warm...the "Artic" are even warmer and are great fitting Boots.I wash my Camo Clothes in scent-free detergent and spray them down with scent killer spray and usually keep them outside or in a plastic tub and my Rubber Boots are used only for Scouting or Hunting......never wear Your gear in a smokey area,while cooking or pumping Gas....smell will get You busted by a Deer more than anything.

I like a good sturdy ladder stand with side rails,some are made better than others and always wear Your safety harness.

Shoot Your Bow often,learn Your limits and always make good clean Ethical Shots.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions