looking for ideas

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Homunculi

looking for ideas

Postby Homunculi » Thu May 16, 2013 8:22 pm

BBQ is what the mrs wants and i have done it formyself a few times and it has been ok ..

i would like to make a nice pulled bbq for her if anyone has a good recipe please let me know

i really do not want to do my pulled pork BBQ one on a deer roast
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

shaman

Re: looking for ideas

Postby shaman » Fri May 17, 2013 4:31 am

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

Check these folks out if you want your head filled with meat thoughts.

It all depends on which school you want to follow. There are variations N/S, east and west of the mountains, east and west of the Mississippi .

My fave? I have made pilgrimages to Bridges in Shelby NC. Just standing in the parking lot, smelling the smoke operation, is enough to make me leave puddles. When I do my own, it's usually heavy on the smoke and light on the vinegar with a lot of Kroger Creole Seasoning in the rub and the sop.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:47 am

As a former Bar-B-Q restaurant manager, I'll advise using Boston Butts for making pulled pork Bar-B-Q. The knife should be inserted at the break in the meat near the bone, and then the but can be split into two pieces. The bone can then be popped out easily. Using the back of the knife blade, with the tip steadily forced into the cutting board, scrape the meat in the direction of the grain, which will create the pulling of the meat. As a good old low country redneck, my favorite cooking sauce is a vinegar, sugar, and pepper mixture that is applied as the meat is slowly cooking on the pit (with the coals surrounding the outside edges and never directly under the meat). Once the meat is cooked and being prepared, a healthy bath of mustard based sauce is the only way to go for that authentic Southern pulled pork Bar-B-Q effect.

If you are going to cook a whole hog, Have a burn barrel with a shovel sized hole cut in the base, and two levels of rebar through the upper portions of the barrel. This way as the wood burns and breaks down, the hot coals will filter down to the bottom where they can then be shoveled into the pit. Cook the hog for 7 hours skin side up, and every hour or so take a block of butter and rub down the skins. After 7 hours turn the hog skin side down, apply the vinegar sauce which will boil out the excess fat and season the meat. Leave it on the pit for another 45 minutes to an hour, and the skins will be nice and crunchy and delicious.

If you'd like to know how to prepare the traditional South Carolina Bar-B-Q hash that is served over rice, along with cole slaw as the sides, I'll be happy to provide the recipes for those as well as the recipe for making the mustard based sauce if you don't want to purchase a good prepared brand, such as Maurice Bessinger's Carolina Gold, or Sweet Baby Ray's.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Fri May 31, 2013 2:41 pm

thanks for the ideas ... sorry i have been busy at work as of late and have hardly had time to do anything ...

but for my recipe i get a shoulder or a but .. garlic .. peppercorns .. an onion sliced ... let the meat slow cook for around 10 hours ..
pull out the onions and juice .. save about 1/4 of it ...

pull the meat .. add back in the juice and a bottle of SBR sauce and let that simmer on the warm crock pot setting for about an hour to 90 min

the mrs wants a pulled bbq out of deer meat ... and i really do not want to do that till i get more for the freezer ..
i have already gone though half of my chest freezer and it is not even june ...

well i have the feeling i will give in and make some ... for her ...
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

Return to General Discussions