gum while hunting

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Topdogg

gum while hunting

Postby Topdogg » Wed May 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Ahyone ever use the gum supposedly designed for hunting?

Deebz

Re: gum while hunting

Postby Deebz » Thu May 23, 2013 7:34 am

Haha... Check out Shaman's profile. He has links to his webpage/blog. He has lots to say on topics like these :D

But... the only time I've ever used it was a sample at a sporting goods store. It tasted like hay with honey on it. I call gimmick though. I always just brush my teeth with some straight up baking soda in the morning before going out to hunt.... or breathe through my nose.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 am

It's the same gum as the old Chlorettes. Unfortunately, I've tried to find that old gum, since it used to cost about 1/5th of what the new "breath camo" gums costs; it seems to have disappeared from the shelves.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu May 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Shamanic Cover Scent Gum has been one of our top sellers here at Black Hole Enterprises:

Shamanic Cover Scent Gum Part I

Shamanic Cover Scent Gum Part II
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu May 23, 2013 7:37 pm

Gum for hunting???? LOL! I want to KILL deer, not make out with them!

If they get that close that they can smell my breath then usually have more important things to worry about.....like a broadhead in their lungs or a hole in their chest that you can put 3 finger into!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri May 24, 2013 4:44 am

First off, I don't claim to have a whole lot of science to back me up. Second, I used to think scent was THE SINGLE MOST important factor. Third, when I get wound up on this sort of thing, it is because I don't like to be flim-flammed.

Science, or lack thereof, is at the heart of all this. However, if you dig down, nobody has done any. You'd think there would be. There isn't. Even my experience is very anecdotal. Yes, I used to get busted a lot. In fact it was all the time. Then I read an article on hardcore scent reduction. I started bathing at camp and started washing my clothes between trips. Wow! What a difference. However, I kept going further and further down the bunny hole. I blamed all my bad luck on scent. The truth is that I was hunting where there were damn few deer. Once I found a spot that had a good deer population, I started having close encounters. However I thought it was because I was so rigorous in my scent discipline. It took over a decade for me to start to question the efficacy of all my scent goofiness.

Now that I have been on the same property for over a decade, I can tell you some basic thoughts:
1) A modicum of personal hygiene goes a long way. Read theShamanic Baking Soda Method This is probably overkill, but it puts you on the right path.
2) I have grown to question how deer see us. High-pressure deer may be a whole other matter, but on my 200 acres the deer and I coexist in something other than a straight prey/predator relationship. Furthermore, I'm not really sure they see death the way we do. I
'm still a little hazy on this. But I have grown to question everything after 30 years.
3) I think we, as hunters, have let ourselves be led down a garden path of non-reality. We worry about things like chewing gum, but we are told the naptha fumes coming off a new pair of rubber boots can't be sensed by the deer. BTW: My LaCrosse boots finally succumbed after 20 years. The back seam went. They still smell lightly of naptha.

I have to run now. More later.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 am

rthomas4 wrote:It's the same gum as the old Chlorettes. Unfortunately, I've tried to find that old gum, since it used to cost about 1/5th of what the new "breath camo" gums costs; it seems to have disappeared from the shelves.

You can buy it online.

Steve.
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:31 am

Thanks, for the info. It was always a good breath freshener, regardless of whether or not it helps control scent while hunting. I used to use Skoal Pouches, but had to stop because of kidney stone problems, so I've been looking for a replacement; but the non-tobacco pouches and dips are also very expensive!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri May 24, 2013 2:19 pm

I'll try and finish this rant.

When I started bow hunting for deer, the general consensus I understood was:

a) Don't bathe. You'll get a chill
b) Wear lots of wool
c) Use a handwarmer that belched fumes to stay warm
d) Smoke any time you wanted. A pipe was preferable, loaded with something like Cherry or Apple flavored Cavendish.
e) At the end of the trip, hang your hunting clothes outside. Never wash them-- most needed to be drycleaned anyway. In the off-season you packed them away in moth balls.

. . . and people still got deer. Heck, I used to see deer nearly every time out. The early part of the 80's was still dominated with cover scents and scent attractors. It wasn't until the latter part of the 80's that anyone started mentioning scent control. Before that, the answer was simple. If you did not want deer to smell you, you hunted with your face into the wind. I never figured that out. I mean what about the deer sneaking up your backside?

About 1986 or 87 the anti-scent hoopla started. It started with soap and laundry detergent, but soon progressed into scent inhibiting clothes and spray-on products. The only way I can say for sure is that it was about this time that I bought my first pair of dedicated rubber hunting boots, based on info I read in a magazine.

But think about this: here we are in 2013 talking about anti-scent chewing gum. How did we get 30 years into this without addressing halitosis? That's not fair really. I can remember anti-stink gum being hawked clear back to the 80's, but I never knew anyone that was using it. I do remember one guy talking about going on fully vegetarian diet for a month before the start of season so his body would be purified -- something he learned in Nam. That seemed a little extreme. But then I can also remember a guy that hunted with a used tampon.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat May 25, 2013 5:09 am

"But then I can also remember a guy that hunted with a used tampon."

I used to hunt with a guy who was a real horse's patoot, but even he wasn't as bad a used tampon! :mrgreen:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to General Discussions