Using deer ribs on the grill or smoker?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
aclemons

Using deer ribs on the grill or smoker?

Postby aclemons » Sun May 26, 2013 9:10 am

Hey y'all,

Happy Memorial Day weekend, and thanks to all of you who have served or are serving in the military!

We had a story Friday, as we do each Friday about food, that included a recipe for ribs: http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/artic ... n-and-game

Curious if any of y'all save the ribs when you kill a deer and throw them on the grill or smoker, or trim 'em down for jerky? There's not a lot of meat on them like a pork or beef rib, but there is a little.

Just curious.

Alan Clemons
DDH Managing Editor

rthomas4

Re: Using deer ribs on the grill or smoker?

Postby rthomas4 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:38 am

I will usually give the ribs to an old black woman who shucks oysters for my cousin. She likes to boil the meat off of them and make a stew, then use the bones to make lye soap.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

MZS

Postby MZS » Mon May 27, 2013 7:56 pm

I think if it is a smaller deer, you would be hard-pressed to get much of any decent meat - the ribs are interlaced with lots of fat. I remember some of us trying to grill some ribs from a smaller deer many years back but all I remember is that I had no urge to try again. On a good sized buck however, I think you could get some nice ribs off the grill. I try to salvage what I can on a smaller deer, but sometimes I just get tired of trimming out tablespoons of meat and chuck them. On a halfway decent sized deer I will always salvage what I can from the ribs and send it along with the other scraps to the butcher for sausage or mixed with beef for burger. With the way meat prices are these days, I won't throw away much of anything that can be saved.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue May 28, 2013 8:46 am

I've pretty well given up on deer ribs. For one thing, I normally shoot deer in that general area, and there's usually a sizeable hole on both sides. What's left usually gets thrown into the grind. For another thing, I've tried several methods of dealing with them for barbeque, and I have not had good luck. It's too much trouble for too little pay-off. They are lean-- excessively so. So I have to supplement with bacon to keep them moist, and it's funny. I don't know why, but if there's going to be a gamey flavor in the deer, it seems to be in the rib meat. I can harvest 40 good pounds off a deer and have it taste like venison. However, I cook the ribs and it tastes funky. Go figure.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:09 am

It's due to the bone and all of the silver skin that's on the ribs, that give the ribs a different flavor.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed May 29, 2013 7:23 am

A number of years ago, I was dropping a deer off at Myer's in Lennoxburg. Jake was getting a bit overloaded and cranky. He asked me what I wanted, steaks, grind, sausage, etc. I mentioned that I had not had a pack of ribs in a while.

"I'd give you ribs if you didn't keep bringing them with big holes in the rib cage!" he snapped. I laughed. Then we both laughed. He was right.

BTW: Myers is open again, but under new management.

webdesigners

Postby webdesigners » Wed May 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Simply needed to thank you so much once again. I'm not certain the things I might have handled without those secrets provided by you relating to my question. It had been the alarming scenario for me personally, but discovering your well-written way you handled the issue took me to leap with joy.

gay web designers ireland

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu May 30, 2013 4:47 am

spam
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu May 30, 2013 6:49 am

I think I found this guy's Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4uEHzj1ZqE

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu May 30, 2013 9:54 am

shaman wrote:I think I found this guy's Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4uEHzj1ZqE

I don't want to know why you were looking for it....
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Next

Return to General Discussions