Scent wick Tip

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeanoZ

Scent wick Tip

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:50 am

I kinda stumbled upon this one when i realized I had forgotton my scent wicks this morning.  I usually keep a used dryer sheet with some scent elimnator on it in the plastic tote I pack my hunting clothes in.  When i relaized I had forgotten my wicks, i saw the dryer sheets and thought..hmmm...I applied some golden estrus to them, took a rubber band and used that to fasten it to the soles of my boots..wha-lah..instant drag!  Then took one of those sheets, and applied a dab more of Golden estrus, balled it up and stuck in a pine branch 20 yrds from my stand and wha-lah, instant scent wick!  Did it work?  you bet...so good in fact a horned up 8 point came screaming into my stand, unfortunately could not get a shot off, but thats another story...and I'm never buying wicks again!

PrairieShadow

RE: Scent wick Tip

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:20 am

Great Post! Thanks!  I always use cotton balls.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:25 am

Wait now,

Are you talking everyday used up dryer sheets or the Scent away ones made by "e" and HS that I see at sporting good stores.  I find it hard to believe that downy dryer sheets or the like don't emit laundry type odor even after use. 

If your talking about the HS dryer sheets that you can use on your hunting clothes in the dryer and the like then that is interesting however!!!

Which is it?
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:22 pm

You can hang them from branches, you can dip them into scent bottles, you can even use them as a scent drag if you tie on an extra piece of string.  Yes... they are womens tampons.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:29 am

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

Wait now,

Are you talking everyday used up dryer sheets or the Scent away ones made by "e" and HS that I see at sporting good stores.  I find it hard to believe that downy dryer sheets or the like don't emit laundry type odor even after use. 

If your talking about the HS dryer sheets that you can use on your hunting clothes in the dryer and the like then that is interesting however!!!

Which is it?

Yes good point, its the DDW or HS Dryer sheets...naturally using "Bounce" or commercial dryer sheets would not work.  I like using the DDW dryer sheets because before using them as wicks I'd just throw them out after use..seemed like a waist.  However I do like the tampon idea as well..thats great!

cdn1

Postby cdn1 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:07 am

I would like to know which one of yous, is secure enough in your manhood
to go to the durgstore and explain your purchase to the lovely young
lady at the check out.[;)] Or to explain to your wives how a box of her feminin hygene products went missing and showed up in with your hunting gear.
I will stick with the dryer sheets. Both are great tips though keep em comming. Cdn1 

jaybyrd450r

Postby jaybyrd450r » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:26 pm

heck if i new i would shoot a monster i would use tampons ,a bra,womens panties what ever it took now explain that to the wife or hunting buddy who see you pull out your new hanes her way scent drag but thats only if i was garenteed a monster

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:33 am

Why would it take some of you to be "guarnteed" killing a monster deer in order to use,... or even go out and buy a box of tampons?
A box of around 40 tampons are $4.00 or so, scent wix are about $6.00 for around 1/2 dozen.

Has anyone ever tried one? After dipping one into a bottle of scent and removing it, it will expand and open up giving it a much larger surface area for any wind blowing over it than any scent wick sold, giving you a much better way to get your scent out into the woods. Guarnteed.
They also come with built in strings, just attach a small length of rope to it and you have a scent drag line, or hang it from a branch.
And... they a packaged seperately, so you can just throw a few into your pack and off you go.

Hey, whatever works, and you know, on Thanksgiving morning I dragged one into my hunting area with scent, and what do you know... I watched a buck follow this drag line trail for 50 yards then I stopped him at 40 with my 30-06.
It was no monster but any deer I take, to me,... is a trophy! (The picture will follow on another post, I can't get into my pictures from where I am.. traditional trip to VT. to cut down a holiday tree with family).

Now why wouldn't you use a tampon as a scent wick or dragline? It's a piece of cotton and cardboard thats used and sold for the opposite sex. Whats the problem?  I'm not saying to use one thats used (although that might work to draw in deer, let me know if anyone tries that).
And yes, I have bought tampons for my wife, and I would also tell the High School girl behind the counter that I am also using them for hunting.
I got 4 beautiful girls I live with and I'm sure I'll continue to buy them in the future. Its no problem.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:24 pm

Was a great tip shadow, my only commnet/question would be (and not knowing much about their original intended application) don't they have to be unscented?  Actually scratch that, I just asked my wife and she says they make unscented ones...then she said "why do yu ask?"  and when I explained how hunters would use them her reply was "thats gross!!!"  She hasn't quite gotten over how we could carry bottles of doe and buck uring around yet.  Go figure...seems to me their intended application is far "grosser" than ours, lol!  God bless women, lol!

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:12 pm

ORIGINAL: jaybyrd450r

heck if i new i would shoot a monster i would use tampons ,a bra,womens panties what ever it took now explain that to the wife or hunting buddy who see you pull out your new hanes her way scent drag but thats only if i was garenteed a monster

I just can't see the new line of crossdressing hunter clothing showing up in the Wal Mart isle.

Next

Return to Best Practices