Deer Scouting?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Re: Deer Scouting?

Postby shaman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:19 am

So what is my most effective camo, really? I 27 years of bow hunting, this was the absolute best:
poncho.JPG
poncho.JPG (261.57 KiB) Viewed 339 times

I found a remnant of it at a a fabric store in the early 80's and made a poncho out of it. All of my biggest bow kills were taken under that poncho.

I gotta run again, but here's a little more on that story:

In Praise of Ponchos

Now, was it the lack of UV reflectivity? The goofy pattern? Anytime you put UV and Deer together, it's a hoax. I've got the skinny on it on my weblog. The pattern probably had something to do with it, I used to put that poncho over my gear if I needed to leave for a bit. I've walked back and been standing on top of the poncho and not been able to see it. But that's my eyes, not a deer. What I think did it was the fact that the poncho broke up my form. The whole gestalt of head/shoulder/arms/body gets thrown out the window. The pattern is secondary.

To answer the original question: Walmart is fine. Some of my best camo came from their racks. I would not be picky at all. Also go trolling through Sportsmansguide.com and wingsupply.com. The former has some great deals on mil-surplus stuff. Flecktar , DPM, and plain old Woodland work great.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Msmithe21

Re: Deer Scouting?

Postby Msmithe21 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I think I have found some decent places to hunt on my land I have found a lot of deer scat around this one area and there are millions of acorn caps there. It also connects a short way into a pine forest edge kind of thing and I have seen tracks in there. So I figure if I set up a little ways away from that I should get a good chance

Previous

Return to General Discussions