bow shop lesson learned

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Homunculi

bow shop lesson learned

Postby Homunculi » Fri May 31, 2013 2:56 pm

been without my bow for 2 weeks because of an issue with the bow shop ..

took it in to get a custom string put on and when i got it back i could not shoot it because of the work schedule ...
but when i took it out 1st shop way off ..(i knew i would have to do some resighting)
but on the 3rd pull i heard a pop and looked down at my lower cam and the guys were all over me to let it down ... yelling do not fire !!!!

the cam was tilted so far that if i would have fired it might have blown apart ..
took it back to the bow shop and they ordered new limbs and a cam ..

this is my point my bow was not like that when i took it in to get the new string put on .. and the guys i shoot with claim it is the shops fault..

either way i do not know what the hell happened while my bow was at the shop .. but it sure was not the same after spending all that money for a new string and sight ..
end result is that the shop ordered new limbs and a cam and put them on for free .. i did not pay for the limbs .. cam .. or labor ..

i made no accusations just asked why this was happening to my bow they ordered the parts and did the work for free ..

do y'all think they knew they screwed up ? or was the custom string too much for my bow ?

(i would like to know before i take my sons bows there ) :geek:
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

luvhuntin

Re: bow shop lesson learned

Postby luvhuntin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:08 am

Yes they screwed up. I know squat about restringing a bow but the one time i did have my bow strung I got to watch them. the new string was put on and it was amazing how out of line the top wheel and bottom cam were.but by twisting the cable and string everything was brought back into line and works as intended. I thought i would do it myself glad i did`nt i would have screwed it up bad.

you tube has great videos of how to do it watch a few and you will see how it happened.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:52 am

Seems to be hit or miss for bowshops (if your fortunate to have any nearby).

We used to only have one a good 35 minute drive, guy's there were not customer oriented to say the least.
A new one opened up 25 minutes the other direction, i'll give them a try if I ever need anything.

I know alot of folks are not fond of the BPS type places. But there was a fella at the Savannah GA shop (young guy actually), that set my bow up when I bought it new, man was he good, it was dialed in nicely. In 3-4 years I've made minimal adjustments. I rue the day I need major repair/upgrade. Its hit or miss at a shop these days 8-)
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

MZS

Postby MZS » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:27 am

Sailfish wrote:Seems to be hit or miss for bowshops (if your fortunate to have any nearby).
I know alot of folks are not fond of the BPS type places. But there was a fella at the Savannah GA shop (young guy actually), that set my bow up when I bought it new, man was he good, it was dialed in nicely. In 3-4 years I've made minimal adjustments. I rue the day I need major repair/upgrade. Its hit or miss at a shop these days 8-)

Or GMtn type places. These big-box sport shops have high turnover. The person doing the work may be good. Or not. And if not, there is not too much accountability - they get paid by the hour and if there are fewer customers their job is that much easier. An established pro shop, on the other hand, lives or dies based on the reputation of their work and often the person doing the work will be directly affected financially if the quality is shoddy and the shop loses business.

Return to General Discussions