What do you keep in your hunting pack??

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Msmithe21

What do you keep in your hunting pack??

Postby Msmithe21 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Hey guys, I ma just wondering what you guys keep in your hunting packs. I am trying to get an idea as to what I should put in mine. Any help is appreciated

Sailfish

Re: What do you keep in your hunting pack??

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:32 am

A large treble hook and string, compass, whistle, range finder, energy shots, water bladder, pistol, snack/lunch, headlight, knife, would be the primary items I can think of.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:43 am

Toilet paper!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

aclemons

Postby aclemons » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:49 am

Sailfish, the treble and string is a good idea.

I usually take unscented baby wipes in one of the travel packs or a Ziplock. Good for cleanups, even if I left them in too long and they dried out, or wiping down after an early-season walk if I'm sweaty.

Water, protein bar, compass, extra flashlight, whistle, orange and chartreuse tracking tape, regular toilet paper, extra socks, saw, other gear.

Great topic!

Alan Clemons
DDH Managing Editor

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Toilet paper... most important for many uses besides the obvious.

binos, range finder, grunt call, rattle bag, extra layer when it's cold, hand warmers, knife, drag rope, flashlight, a couple of bottles of water, snacks for long sits, scent killer spray (might not work, but it can't hurt), GPS if in unfamiliar woods
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:33 am

I started from the beginning using a snag hook on the end of 8 yards of strong camp cord. This was before the day of nice metal tree stands, so often times I was climbing up trees and sitting on limbs. After I'd belted in, I'd put the hook down to grab my bow and my pack. The hook was a snag hook with a weight built in. I filed off the barbs to make it easier to remove.

I always carry two compasses, a whistle, a mylar space blanket and my license. There's more, but I gotta go. More later.

Later:

I carry a T-screw. It's a leftover from the days of using an API hang-on stand. What I use it for now is a hook for gear. I've also used it as a stop to keep my safety belt from slipping down the tree too far.

I have a few calls. The one I use most allows you to suck and get one tone or blow and get another. I also have one of those doe-in-the-can calls. I use these very sparingly. Once in a while it's paid big dividends.

Gotta go. More later.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

HuntingFool94

Postby HuntingFool94 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:39 am

I bought some mossy oak camo fabric and had the local dry cleaner sew some large pockets onto my hunting jacket and hunting pants as I hate carrying a pack- they hold the following:
screw in step for hanging bow wherever I hunt - I often hunt from ground locations next to trees - so good to bring along.
License (in zip top bag to keep from getting wet)
2 one gallon zip top bags - for holding heart/liver of deer kill - I keep sandwich and snacks in them when going out and put in pant leg pockets
small knife sharpener (Gerber makes a good one) - my knife is on my belt
small Sagen bone saw
clip on trail markers, orange trail marking tape
paper towels/hand wipes (clean-up)
Lighter
Ace bandage wrap
hand warmers
Drag rope / small pulley / cinch strap / caribiner - I can use this setup to get deer out of a steep ravine - cinch strap around tree, caribiner to hook pulley to cinch strap - rope up deer and run end through pulley and drag - easier and safer than trying to drag deer up the hill.
"don't stink, don't move, don't make noise"

Return to General Discussions