Are there any real whitetail trohpy hunters left !

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
tomtana59911

Are there any real whitetail trohpy hunters left !

Postby tomtana59911 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:42 pm

I just saw a hunting show where Jim zumbo and Lee Lakoski where hunting on a ranch in New mexico and they were sitting at the breakfast table and to make a long story short Jim says to lee "you have shot more big bulls than I ever have" I about fell on the floor !Lee hunts the best ranches in the world and Jim bows to him WTF Jim has always been a real hunter usually hunting remote public land .
Which brings me to a point.Is there any real whitetail hunters out there that dont hunt private land over food plots out of enclosed huts etc,,etc.It realy saddens me to see the real art is lost.Theres still a few great ones ot there,for example the Benoit family out of VT.I have no respect for someone who hunts private land bucks that are corn fattened and no one else has access to,I guess its ok to hunt that way but I would be ashamed to have my pic put in a paper or magazine with one.
the guy with a bunch of 140-150 class bucks shot on public land has ten times more to be proud of than Stan potts has with all his corn fed pets ! Yet guys like Stan get all the fame and ink.Wilderness bucks are the ultimate survivers getting old and wise by eating twigs and mosss,often taking 6-7 yrs to reach their prime espscially in areas where they evade large predators every day(and night) such as wolves, grizzlies, mountain lions etc.In the area I live I cant figure out how they do it when predator counts are through th roof !!!!!!
I dont have any real giants on my wall yet just a bunch of great bucks with even better memories all shot on land that any one of you can come hunt.If there is any other true wilderness public land hunters out there I would love to here from you here and see some of your bucks.
I figure this will raise some hairs but oh well :roll:

shaman

Re: Are there any real whitetail trohpy hunters left !

Postby shaman » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:37 pm

It is not that there are no real hunters left. It's just that you're watching too much TV.

Do not confuse the likes of Jim and Tiffany with real hunters. If you have a camera man following you around, your prime motivation is not hunting.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

croz2173

Postby croz2173 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Dont let it bother you. People are all different and get enjoyment out of all kinds of methods of hunting. The majority of people who tune in to hunting shows want to see big bucks hit the ground, so thats what they're going to show. Its a heck of a lot cheaper to get that footage on a piece of land heavily managed for trophy deer.

I can understand where youre coming from. I hunt huge tracts of public land, places where deer have never seen a cornstalk or a food plot. But I hold nothing against the guy who hunts private land and does things his own way. You just cant compare the two situations, and you shouldnt want to anyways. Do what makes you happy and dont worry about everyone else. There are plenty of guys out there hunting the same way you do, you just wont find many of them on TV.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:31 am

The thing everyone has to remember about these TV shows is that they depend on high numbers of deer, a lot of mobility, and a lot of support in order to work. You are not going to see a personality commit 4 days to hunting a marginal situation that may not produced a deer. They need to get in, kill a few deer, and then move on. That means paying for guides and an advance team, only hunting the most productive land, and staying on the move. If the deer aren't moving at the lease in Kansas, then strike camp and move to Alabama. I've been on shoots (not for a hunting show) where an entire weekend of footage was unusable due to a glitch in the camera. So I know they have got to shoot a lot of reserve material to make up for the screw-ups.

Nobody in their right mind is going to try and hunt that kind of schedule without an eye for turning a profit. So please do not try to confuse TV hunting shows with reality.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:00 am

They also double as advertisements for the outfitter property being hunted. For me, the two best shows are D&DH tv and Midwest Whitetail. Both shows are more than just some prostaff hunter setup in a prime spot they likely didn't scout, waiting to kill a big whitetail for tv.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:10 am

tomtana59911 wrote: has always been a real hunter usually hunting remote public land .
Which brings me to a point.Is there any real whitetail hunters out there that dont hunt private land over food plots out of enclosed huts etc,,etc.:

John Eberhart comes to mind

They are out there.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:10 am

tomtanna59911, if you are located in an area where you have access to unfettered public lands and that's the manner in which you hunt, then that's all fine and dandy. But; for you to comment that those of us who hunt private land are any less of a hunter is pure ignorance and stupidity! I spend a lot of money planting food plots and managing my herd here on my little piece of private property, and living in the swamps of South Carolina, if I didn't use corn as bait and food plots as attractants to hold deer, I'd never see a deer, much less kill one. You can't spot and stalk deer in 3-8 feet of swamp water, briars, and thickets, which is also why I hunt with hounds, in the traditional South Carolina way, which dates back to the Native Americans.

It's attitudes such as the one expressed by you, that creates turmoil among the hunting community and shows discord and an air of divisiveness to the anti-hunting organizations. Whether one hunts by spot and stalk with a traditional bow on remote public lands, or like myself prefers a shotgun loaded with buckshot with the dogs running deer, or sitting in a tree stand on my own land with my rifle; we are all hunters. As such, we should respect the differences of each and acknowledge that geography and terrain dictate as much to our style of hunting, as choice of weapon!

If you believe that you are more of a hunter than I am, bring yourself to SC, where I'll put you in the swamp with the 'gators, moccasins, etc., and see how successful you would be taking a shot at a deer that is running at top speed, jumping brush and logs, dodging cypress knees and briar thickets. We'll see if you live through the experience, or get eaten, bitten, drown, lost, or just shoot up some trees if you're lucky!!!!!

Meanwhile, if all you can do is criticize other people's methods, perhaps you should expend the same time, money, and blood,sweat, and tears that it takes for other folks to do things in a different way than you!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:28 am

Rthomas4, take it easy on him. It's his first post. Chill. One of my main hunting goals in this life, is to try (almost)every type of hunting before I die. That includes dogs, trapping, fishing, snares, all of it. But I don't judge my success by the size of the antlers, but by the meat that can feed my family. I will take a fat doe over a stringy buck, any day. They taste better too.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:21 am

I'm also a meat hunter, and agree 100% on doe meat being better than buck meat; it's certainly much more tender and usually a lot fatter.

As for this nut job's post. My biggest pet peeve with most hunting forums, is the guy that puts every one who hunts differently than him, down as not being a real hunter! We are a brotherhood (to quote Uncle Ted, and Michael Waddell), and as such we should support every aspect of hunting.......not take a superior attitude over any one method. His comments would be right at home over on the Own Your Own Adventures site, where most of the members are from Montana, Colorado, Idaho and other Western states where public land hunting is the only method available in many instances, and spot and stalk is the common method.

I've had the pleasure of actually taking several people on dog drives for deer, who had never experienced that style of hunting. Without exception, every one of them have said that they were surprised at how difficult it is and how challenging it was for them to attempt to shoot deer in front of dogs, especially in our swamps of SC.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:52 am

I have no doubt of that Thomas, but I also said (almost) all types of hunting. I draw the line at high fence. Others are welcome to it, but I will not hunt in a cage. No matter how large, or well planned, it is still hunting in a cage, and I refuse.so you can lump me into the camp that finds something objectional about someone else's hunting method.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Next

Return to General Discussions